Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignments with the steering wheel straight

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:14 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignments with the steering wheel straight

When you guys get your cars aligned, do you always end up with a straight steering wheel? Or.. Do you care if the wheel is completely straight? That's always been a pet peeve of mine. Just like pulsating brakes and tires that are out of balance.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:50 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xsiveone
When you guys get your cars aligned, do you always end up with a straight steering wheel?
Yes. If not I make them fix it. It's only ever happened a couple of times.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:14 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If the technician knows what he is doing and does not try to take shortcuts, the wheel always should be properly centered. After the car is on the lift and suspended there is a locking bar that should be used to lock the steering wheel in place. It grabs the bottom of the wheel and has a small jack that pushes down on the seat for leverage. The guys working on flat rate often skip this step because it takes more time especially when doing a complete 4 wheel alignment as is required on a Vette.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:23 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

The only way is to do it yourself. It is not that hard, and with our tool it is a snap to go from track to street.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:39 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
If the technician knows what he is doing and does not try to take shortcuts, the wheel always should be properly centered. After the car is on the lift and suspended there is a locking bar that should be used to lock the steering wheel in place. It grabs the bottom of the wheel and has a small jack that pushes down on the seat for leverage. The guys working on flat rate often skip this step because it takes more time especially when doing a complete 4 wheel alignment as is required on a Vette.
I never heard of this before. Is this just with the Corvette or with any car?

I know.. I should probably do my own alignments. Don't you need a really level surface though?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:57 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

This is really not that hard. It is simple geometry. Really, it is very easy to do this yourself, and it drives me crazy that people spend good money for this. Once you do this, you then you know it is correct, and you can adjust it for all conditions. Download this for free and see if you can do it:
http://hardbarusa.com/uploads/image/...%20rev1(1).pdf
http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...products_id=44
Old 12-14-2007, 11:02 PM
NASAblue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 12-15-2007, 07:53 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I never heard of this before. Is this just with the Corvette or with any car?

I know.. I should probably do my own alignments. Don't you need a really level surface though?
my mech uses that on all cars but they are and after 30+ years on many vehicles and equipment I never had one comeback or complaint.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:04 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Hardbar alignment tool. My pad isn't very level, but I just set the jack stands to different heights from side-to-side to get the car level in the air. Works great. It's pretty easy to do.

Just remember to measure the difference between what you set by the alignment tool and how it measures up on the ground.

I am looking forward to having a level pad for setting camber, though!
Old 12-16-2007, 02:27 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I use the Hardbar alignment tool. My pad isn't very level, but I just set the jack stands to different heights from side-to-side to get the car level in the air. Works great. It's pretty easy to do.

Just remember to measure the difference between what you set by the alignment tool and how it measures up on the ground.

I am looking forward to having a level pad for setting camber, though!
1/8" thick foot-square floor tiles work great to level a car, jack stands or even a lift. They're very cheap if you aren't concerned with the pattern or color. A water level is also easy to use to establish level.

--Dan
Old 12-16-2007, 02:41 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

When you guys get your cars aligned, do you always end up with a straight steering wheel? Or.. Do you care if the wheel is completely straight? That's always been a pet peeve of mine. Just like pulsating brakes and tires that are out of balance.
It's really easy to straighten the wheel. Drive up onto some 2x lumber to give yourself room to reach up under the front. Loosen the 22mm jam-nut on both sides of the front tie-rods and rotate the tie-rod the same direction on both sides (either both up or both down) to move the steering wheel to center. Use the flats where you place your 13mm wrench as your reference. Usually, you need to rotate the tie-rod less than one flat. It you move it the wrong way, then just move it the other till you get it right. This will not affect your alignment if you move both sides equally.

--Dan
Old 12-16-2007, 01:34 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dbratten
It's really easy to straighten the wheel. Drive up onto some 2x lumber to give yourself room to reach up under the front. Loosen the 22mm jam-nut on both sides of the front tie-rods and rotate the tie-rod the same direction on both sides (either both up or both down) to move the steering wheel to center. Use the flats where you place your 13mm wrench as your reference. Usually, you need to rotate the tie-rod less than one flat. It you move it the wrong way, then just move it the other till you get it right. This will not affect your alignment if you move both sides equally.

--Dan
Why does the shop that does my alignments need to redo the alignment to get the steering wheel straight then?

I'd love to do my own alignments. It's too bad that I nearly flunked Geometry though in hs. I just don't feel confident doing it myself without someone showing me how to do it first.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:08 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Why does the shop that does my alignments need to redo the alignment to get the steering wheel straight then?

I'd love to do my own alignments. It's too bad that I nearly flunked Geometry though in hs. I just don't feel confident doing it myself without someone showing me how to do it first.
They may only mean that they need to get your car back up on the rack to adjust the steering wheel. Let them do it, ask to watch, and you'll see how simple it is.

You don't need geometry to align your car. Sure, somebody did at some point to figure out how to do it but now you are just taking measurements and reading and interpreting results. Check out the info Hardbar provided and also the links that David Farmer has. DIY does require some tools and it is possible to make a mess of it. If you aren't changing your alignment very often it is probably best to find a shop that does good work and entrust it to them.

--Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Alignments with the steering wheel straight

Quick Reply: Alignments with the steering wheel straight