Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last De Of The Year At The Ranch, Vids Inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:26 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default Last De Of The Year At The Ranch, Vids Inside

Dec 8&9 was the last TDE (The Drivers Edge) event of the year at MotorSports Ranch just south of Fort Worth TX. Sunday's weather was the type you pray for; mid 70's, light wind under mostly sunny sky's. Autobahn Motors provided an excellent dinner that night along with a raffle and good bench racing time.

Sunday was a different story! Arriving at the track just after the 7:00 hour, we found everything still wet after the nights rain. The air temp was hanging at 37 DEGREES (that turned out to be the high for the day)!!! The first session was a real experience , light rain and very cold. The track was like slime in "Rattle Snake" and not a whole lot better elsewhere. But what a kick in the A$$ , it was the most fun I have ever had going slow!!

All day Sunday was somewhat foggy with a cold wind and air temps dropping to 35 degrees by the fourth session. Not the best day for tracking but it still far better than my best day at work

The first vid was taken Saturday, 3ed session, having a good time playing tag with John D (C5 Vert).

This one is the same session but taken from John D's car.

Sunday, first run in the WET & COLD! The RX7 is loaded with an LS1, does a great dance at the end!

The last session on Sunday I decided to have some fun and let it all hang out! Not my usual "Smooth Hand Luke" driving style but it was a kick......beside I turned my best time the on the last lap by 1 1/2 seconds.

Last edited by hisvett; 12-15-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:19 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Ummm...WOW! Thanks for posting. I live near MSR.....but I don't think I'll drive there in the rain after watching your video
Old 12-16-2007, 05:57 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good stuff, in the last video the mustang was fighting for its life, man alot of body roll
Old 12-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Dainbramage
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Mustang installed Crown Vic suspension before going out there! My goodness.

Looks like you had alot of fun!
Old 12-16-2007, 09:33 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

First time I've seen vids of MSR being run backwards; puts quite a different perspective on the track.

I've "streetified" my car for the winter; can't wait until next year!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-16-2007, 10:30 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
First time I've seen vids of MSR being run backwards; puts quite a different perspective on the track.

I've "streetified" my car for the winter; can't wait until next year!

Have a good one,
Mike
The first event next Feb might be CW again. I like both ways, CW is more of a momentum track were CCW is about 1 to 2 sec faster. You'll love Rattle Snake with your Auto-X experience. Because of Cone Maze running, I can pick up two or three car lengths in the Snake on most people. Put it down on the calendar, we can always make room for one more Corvette at Corner!

Ummm...WOW! Thanks for posting. I live near MSR.....but I don't think I'll drive there in the rain after watching your video

63Corvette; I too was about to through in the towel Sunday morning but I glad I didn't! It was the best driving experience I could ask for. You have to remember that car has all the same dynamics as if it were on dry ground, it just happens at a much, much lower speed. Think about it........What a great time to practice recovering a slide or out-or-shape moment at a speed where your not going to muck anything up I will never worry about getting rained on again.

Yah.....The Rustang .....Headlights on, H-Beams flashing and it still took a full lap for him to move it O'well, I still managed to get it one last fast lap in
Mike
Old 12-16-2007, 11:02 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by hisvett
The first event next Feb might be CW again...
I'm gonna give it my best, but with a daughter graduating this spring at the University of Arkansas and a son getting ready to go to Texas A&M, it's going to be a wee bit crazy in '08!

I've always wanted to run with TDE; just never made everything work out.

Now we just have to wait 'til next year.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-17-2007, 07:33 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi mike, You should try the new playground. Eagles Canyon Raceway. TDE has a track date pending for sometime in March or April. Check the ECR website.

What was your lap time for MSR?

Robert Lewis
Old 12-18-2007, 06:28 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
Hi mike, You should try the new playground. Eagles Canyon Raceway. TDE has a track date pending for sometime in March or April. Check the ECR website.

What was your lap time for MSR?

Robert Lewis
Hay Robert, been there, done that! Even have the video to prove it! Last March I made arrangements with Linda for a small group (two road warriors from work, plus Cliff, George, Skull One and myself) to check out the track. Linda had a last minute appointment so we had the track to ourselves. We did a video and GPS mapping of the track for future reference, not knowing that three of the turns would be changed

Best time this last trip at MSR was 1:27.10 (CW) @ 35 degrees air temp (Very last lap of the weekend). I'm sure with a little more track temp and a few more practice laps it will drop another second. The cold air was good for the motor but not the track (or the body) . I haven't run the 1.7 CCW with my LongAcer yet. So I've been told, CW is about 1 to 2 sec's slower than the normal rotation.

I'm already down for the TDE Event in the spring at EC, can't wait. Hope to see ya at the track
Mike
Old 12-18-2007, 09:09 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for posting these. That last session looked like a blast .... I'm disappointed I ran out of brakes the session before. I have to try that new line through rattle snake at the end of the video!

You are right on about the weather that weekend. Saturday was outstanding and Sunday was cold and wet; although the track certainly seemed to come to us as the day went along.

BTW – My ABS failure on Sunday turned out to be a blown fuse. Found the troubleshooting on the forum. What a great resource!

Look forward to running with you again next year!

Have a great holiday.

John

Last edited by JohnD60; 12-23-2007 at 09:05 PM. Reason: corrected
Old 12-19-2007, 06:54 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by JohnD60
Mike,

Thanks for posting these. That last session looked like a blast .... I'm disappointed I ran out of brakes the session before. I have to try that new line through rattle snake at the end of the video!

You are right on about the weather that weekend. Saturday was outstanding and Sunday was cold and wet; although the track certainly seem to come to us at the day went along.

BTW – My ABS failure on Sunday turned out to be a blown fuse. Found the troubleshooting on the forum. What a great resource!

Look forward to running with you again next year!

Have a great holiday.

John
Glad to that it was only a fuse on your ABS.
I put the best of the weekends vids on a DVD, looks great on a 62" TV . If you would like a copy, shoot me a PM or email, then show it to Tim so he can see what he missed

Have a super Holiday and we'll catch ya at the track
Old 12-19-2007, 06:59 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking good!!! I watched all the videos last night on my home computer!

Randy
Old 12-20-2007, 09:27 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Looking good!!! I watched all the videos last night on my home computer!

Randy
Still think'en about them DRM Coil/Overs Randy As soon as I get two events on the same track without being able to trim anymore major time off, I'll figure I've maxed out the car and I'll be a call'en.

Get notified of new replies

To Last De Of The Year At The Ranch, Vids Inside

Quick Reply: Last De Of The Year At The Ranch, Vids Inside