Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats for tall people

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:28 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seats for tall people

So it looks like I'll be joining the ranks of vette owners just after the new year. One of the first things on my list would be a new race set for the car (its a t1 prepared c5). It has a kirkey and I'm sure its positioned for someone thats smaller than me (6'2") I'll be ripping it out in short fashion. Now, since I'm so tall I'm used to having seating issues, but i was wondering if anyone has a fiberglass seat on sliders thats as tall as I am. I was thinking of the sabelt Taurus, but I'd like to know if that the seat would fit in the car.

thanks
-Ross
Old 12-18-2007, 12:00 PM
mcintex
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

At 6'2" you are on the easier side. At 6'5" I went with a custom seat to get the harness holes in the correct position. Go to a shop that has different seats and sit in as many as you can before you buy. Do a search on this forum for ones that fit corvettes.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The fit problem with tall guys seems to be headroom more than leg room. My track partner, who is really tall too, fixed that with an Ultra Shield seat. The Ultra Shield is very similar to the Kirkey so maybe you can just reposition it.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:08 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Recaro Profi SPG is your best bet. The are fairly narrow so they fit well in the C5/C6s. I can offer you the Recaro PROFI SPG seat, C5 or C6 base, Recaro Slider, and Aluminum Side Mount for $1100.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:10 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bowmanized
The Recaro Profi SPG is your best bet. The are fairly narrow so they fit well in the C5/C6s. I can offer you the Recaro PROFI SPG seat, C5 or C6 base, Recaro Slider, and Aluminum Side Mount for $1100.
thats a DAMN good deal on that seat for sure. I'll think about it. I had an spg as my last seat and LOVED it, however, the sabelt appeals to me since it has nearly the same dimensions as the SPG and a halo, for the same price.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:29 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Ultra-Shield or Kirkey. 6-2 is not that tall, I am 6-2 and use the Ultra-shield.

Ultra shield or Kirkey road race seat 10* layback a few hundred dollars. Hard bar mounts an other two hundrend so $500 for the whole seat and mounts. if that.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:44 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
thats a DAMN good deal on that seat for sure. I'll think about it. I had an spg as my last seat and LOVED it, however, the sabelt appeals to me since it has nearly the same dimensions as the SPG and a halo, for the same price.
I can get Sabelts too. $750
Old 12-19-2007, 08:57 AM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are serious about getting a seat I would highly recommend going somewhere that carries a bunch of different brands of seats or going to a trade show like SEMA or PRI. I'm 6'3" 310lbs and finding a seat that fits me is nightmare. Fortunately I was able to go to PRI the other week and found a couple seats that are for taller/bigger people. If I remember when I get home I'll send you over a couple of the product names.
Some things I was looking for was positioning of the shoulder harness holes, location of the tabs that stick out for the shoulder, how high the headrest goes, position of the hole for the sub-belt, thickness of the base of the seat to the top of the seat pad (for head room) and finally if I can fit in the seat.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:10 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stangklrzo6
If you are serious about getting a seat I would highly recommend going somewhere that carries a bunch of different brands of seats or going to a trade show like SEMA or PRI. I'm 6'3" 310lbs and finding a seat that fits me is nightmare. Fortunately I was able to go to PRI the other week and found a couple seats that are for taller/bigger people. If I remember when I get home I'll send you over a couple of the product names.
Some things I was looking for was positioning of the shoulder harness holes, location of the tabs that stick out for the shoulder, how high the headrest goes, position of the hole for the sub-belt, thickness of the base of the seat to the top of the seat pad (for head room) and finally if I can fit in the seat.
I know what seats fit and i live 10 min from OG racing, so a seat for me is not a problem. The problem is, the seat in the vette, will it fit? will i hit my helmet on the roof? stuff like that.

In my old car the recipe for success was Recaro SPG, on recaro mounts, and sliders. The seat was a low as it could go (literally touching the floor) and i had the bottom cushion removed. All the holes were perfect, and it was super comfortable. Thats why I'm leaning towards the Sabelt since its nearly the same dimensions as the SPG, but i want to know that I'll fit in the seat in a vette, before i buy it.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:36 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know what seats fit and i live 10 min from OG racing, so a seat for me is not a problem. The problem is, the seat in the vette, will it fit? will i hit my helmet on the roof? stuff like that.

In my old car the recipe for success was Recaro SPG, on recaro mounts, and sliders. The seat was a low as it could go (literally touching the floor) and i had the bottom cushion removed. All the holes were perfect, and it was super comfortable. Thats why I'm leaning towards the Sabelt since its nearly the same dimensions as the SPG, but i want to know that I'll fit in the seat in a vette, before i buy it.
If you use a slider you will lose headroom, gauranteed.

Use the HArdbar seat rails, they are not only the safest out there but you can adjust to many different heights and angles to get the right fit for you, regardless of the seat.

I use a Sparco Evo L. I am 6'3". My helmut does not hit the roof.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:07 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Ultra-Shield or Kirkey. 6-2 is not that tall, I am 6-2 and use the Ultra-shield.

Ultra shield or Kirkey road race seat 10* layback a few hundred dollars. Hard bar mounts an other two hundrend so $500 for the whole seat and mounts. if that.
i am going this direction soon too. Just waiting for Santa Claus
Old 12-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I am 6'1"/250lbs and talked to Gary@Hardbar for some time. I ended up with the Kirkey Deluxe Roadrace and his rails. He said I will get plenty of room with his rails.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:13 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Since the car is a former T1 with a Kirkey seat there is a good chance you may already have the hardbar rails and all you have to do is drill some different holes in the seat to get it where you want it. With the hardbar rails you can get the seat bottom very close to the floor and there are a lot of fore and aft adjustments that can be made also. The Kirkey and Ultrashield seats are your best choices for a real seat so I would be looking to get it moved Vs replacing it.

Bill
Old 12-20-2007, 07:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Why not just reposition the Kirkey seat that is in there now?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:05 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Why not just reposition the Kirkey seat that is in there now?
the last Metal seat i was in i HATED it. I'll try this one out, but i sit remember getting out of that metal seat and feeling beat up. All sore just from a 20 minute session. Compared to me SPG it felt terrible, so once i saw the pictures i said that was the first think I'll replace, that and the 1970's era giant steering wheel.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:03 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Ok

I found that my Ultra-shield, since it fits my like a glove it is very VERY comfortable. Vs many of the other Popular name seats, I just did not like or were comfortable to me.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the last Metal seat i was in i HATED it. I'll try this one out, but i sit remember getting out of that metal seat and feeling beat up. All sore just from a 20 minute session. Compared to me SPG it felt terrible, so once i saw the pictures i said that was the first think I'll replace, that and the 1970's era giant steering wheel.

I suspect that this seat did not fit you very well, probably too large. Like AU N EGL says mine (Ultrashield) fits me like a glove and I have never felt beat up after a session, all day or even driving it to the track.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:10 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Ok

I found that my Ultra-shield, since it fits my like a glove it is very VERY comfortable. Vs many of the other Popular name seats, I just did not like or were comfortable to me.
Originally Posted by Joy of 6
I suspect that this seat did not fit you very well, probably too large. Like AU N EGL says mine (Ultrashield) fits me like a glove and I have never felt beat up after a session, all day or even driving it to the track.
this is probably true, I'll have to sit in a few other seats and see. I'll wait until i get the car and maybe even do an event with the current seat just to see how it fits.

If i dont like it I'll worry then i guess.

Get notified of new replies

To Seats for tall people

Quick Reply: Seats for tall people