Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 2 side pieces of front air dam needed for cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:53 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Is 2 side pieces of front air dam needed for cooling?

I met a guy when I was doing the charity thing a Bristol who had a red Z like mine. Mine only has the center air dam piece, but not the 2 pieces on the sides. He told me that someone from Bowling Green(?) told him it was essential for helping to cool engine. Do you guys have all 3 pieces on the front? Does he know what he is talking about? Seems like I scrape enough as it is, but for better cooling, I will put them on! Thoughts?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
I met a guy when I was doing the charity thing a Bristol who had a red Z like mine. Mine only has the center air dam piece, but not the 2 pieces on the sides. He told me that someone from Bowling Green(?) told him it was essential for helping to cool engine. Do you guys have all 3 pieces on the front? Does he know what he is talking about? Seems like I scrape enough as it is, but for better cooling, I will put them on! Thoughts?
the middle piece i to direct air into the radiator, the two side pieces is to prevent lift at high speeds, preventing too much air from flowing under the car
Old 12-20-2007, 11:00 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would suggest putting them back on. They are there for many different reasons, all in which you should put them back on.

Randy
Old 12-20-2007, 11:23 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Actually they were not on the car when I got it, and I didn't know they were supposed to be there then. They are only like $30 for both, so I will order some from Gene.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

There are some uninformed people who think the scraping is annoying and they remove the air dam. It helps cool the engine & the A/C, keeps the car glued to the ground at high speeds and increases gas mileage by keeping air from under the car.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Is 2 side pieces of front air dam needed for cooling?

Quick Reply: Is 2 side pieces of front air dam needed for cooling?