Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some help with brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:59 AM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Default I need some help with brakes

I have a 04 Z16 with 9500 miles on it, I only driver her on weekends (at the track) , I do allot of drivers ed's, I just did Daytona two weeks ago with the Audi club, and low and behold, my right rear pads have gone metal to metal, so I need some new pads and rotors, any advice on which pads and rotors, I do about 5 or 6 drivers eds a year, so it is not always at the track, but I like to do the high speed drivers eds, so tell me what ya'll think....I can get stock rotors for about 30 bucks apiece, or I can get some cross drilled rotors for about 50 bucks apiece from Napa, but I have heard the cross drilled rotors tend to crack under stress,,,,any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-22-2007, 12:15 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Dont get any drilled rotors what so ever.

The GM OEMs

or the NAPA /Raybestos #s

$27-$30 each.

Dont get the cheaper ones
Old 12-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

As long as your getting new rotors and pads, and since you only drive it on the track, you might as well step up to some Carbotech Pads. I use 10s in front and 8s in back.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

If you want to minimize your costs stay with stock pads and just keep track of their wear. They may not stop as well as race pads but the overall cost will be lower if you aren't into running that hard. The OEM rotors can last a long time when using stock pads at a track event. Typically, I would get 2 track days on a set of stock C5 pads with my 97 while my original rotors lasted 3 seasons. Once you get into race pads you will spend more than twice as much for a set of pads that will last twice as long as the stockers but will cause you to go through rotors almost as fast. You will pick up your lap times a little but you are then at the start of a very slippery slope that leads to different rims, tires, big brake kits, brake ducts, roll bars, 6 point harnesses, race seats & HANs devices, trailers, tow vehicles, storage space increased spares and tools while at the track. Pretty soon you are going down the road on your way to a track event with over $100K invested in all the stuff you have with you.

Bill
Old 12-31-2007, 09:34 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in a similar situation w/ 01 Z06 with about 12 DEs in '07. After much research and several recommendations from from various forum members and friends (also here in Jax) I ordered the Vette Brakes & Products Sport Brake Kit with their slotted (not drilled) rotors, Hawk HPS pads and braided stainless lines. This package seemed to offer the best value and an upgrade from the stock brakes (which I ran all year in '07). The Napa rotors received good reviews for low cost and durability and one of my friends who does high-speed autocross uses them with stock Z06 pads and swears that's the way to go.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:02 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

The rotors will be fine, however the Hawk HPS or HP+ brake pads will be gone in one weekend.

If your doing 5-7 events a year, time to start swaping back and forth with race pads.

Some guys will use the Carbotech XP-12 XP-10 Combo for both. Bit squeeky on the street, but are doable.

Pads of choice ( no order)

Carbotech Xp12 ( f) & XP-10 (r)
Hawk, DTC-70, DTC-60, HT-10
PFC-01, PFC-03, PFC-97
Wilwood, H, or Wilwood A

There are a few other pads too but these seem to be the top choices or most ppl
Old 12-31-2007, 12:11 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

And in the "while you're at it" theme...

I had great success with the DRM brake duct kit and get yourself some spindleducts. I also recommend using some high temp fluid, braided line, russel speed bleeders or motiv bleeder, and plan to swap back and forth as others suggest. I had Hawk HT8s with my Vette and loved them. The bite was great, wear was great and I was getting 8 track days per front set, and double that for rears. Plan to bleed the brakes before every event and swap the pads out at the same time.

Also, have a spare set of calipers on hand. You will need them at some point, as the OEM calipers are known to spread over time. The guy I sold my C5 to had a caliper fail on him at SP Main not long after I sold it to him.

Mike
Old 12-31-2007, 12:17 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

With Mike

colling ducts and brake fluid

Castrol SRF
Motul 600
Brembo 600
ATE SuperBlue or Gold 600 ( Same - just different colors)
Old 12-31-2007, 12:25 PM
earthman01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would stay away from the DTC-70's. They are really hard on the rotors.

Get notified of new replies

To I need some help with brakes

Quick Reply: I need some help with brakes