Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track tapes to PC ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:18 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Track tapes to PC ?

I need some help on loading my track tapes from mini DV format to my PC, DVD, or CD-ROM. I am using a Sony DCR-HC38 Mini DV and only have the standard output cable. If it is possible to down load these, what cables will I need and what software? Plain English please because I'm a video idiot - I stiil have trouble operating the camera!

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The Sony DCR-HC38 should have come with a USB cable that connects your camera to your laptop computer. I recommend using the Windows XP "Windows Movie Maker" under Accessories. Just follow the "Movie Tasks" on the left side of the program.

It's a simple application that allows you to download your videos, edit them (add music, special effects) and save to CD, hard drive, etc. You can pick the resoluton and format. I've been using it for some time now. Mike

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 12-22-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I never got my Sony to work at the track more than 3 gears. It just shuts off!
Old 12-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

The MiniDV format records high-quality digital video on small tapes vs. recording to a flash drive/memory card. Most problems occur with the flash drive/memory card cameras. I've never had an issue with the MiniDV tapes.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:03 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the help Mike - I'll get a cable in the morning and give it try - What do you recommend for resolution?

John, I've only used mine for 2 track days at the end of this past season, but it worked well and the pics are great.

Merry Christmas and the best in '08
Old 12-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

High Quality Video (NTSC) 720x480 or High Quality Video (Large) 640x480 work great for saving to your videos to DVD or uploading to "My Space" or "You Tube" on the Internet.

Here's an example of what the video looks like using the "Windows Movie Maker" at a lower resolution to meet the file size limit (100 Mb) for a long video on My Space.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:04 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I never got my Sony to work at the track more than 3 gears. It just shuts off!
John,
Is your camera a MINI DVD disc type? If it is I tried it too and it would not even make it out of the pits with out cutting off.

These guys are right, I am going DV and should be good. Best Buy will really have some awesome deals after Xmas.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:06 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
The Sony DCR-HC38 should have come with a USB cable that connects your camera to your laptop computer. I recommend using the Windows XP "Windows Movie Maker" under Accessories. Just follow the "Movie Tasks" on the left side of the program.

It's a simple application that allows you to download your videos, edit them (add music, special effects) and save to CD, hard drive, etc. You can pick the resoluton and format. I've been using it for some time now. Mike
So far I've got the download and save to DVD part, now I've got to solve this add music and special effects end of it.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of these mini-DV recorders require a firewire card to be installed in your PC. Mine did. I have had zero issues with my panasonic unit, and highly recommend their miniDVs. I used to run a video production facility years ago and I'm simply amazed at what you can do with video now days...

Mike
Old 12-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Last C5
So far I've got the download and save to DVD part, now I've got to solve this add music and special effects end of it.
This link walks you through the process of adding music to your video and this link provides instructions for special effects.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

This link walks you through the process of adding music to your video and this link provides instructions for special effects.
Thanks! With a little more practice I may just become as computer literate as today's average eight year old.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:28 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

I got a cable todAY, but it wasn't right one. It connected out the side of camera with some kind of a mini USBA. pparently the cable i need is unique to Sony to connect from one of the two ouputs at the back of camera. I may need to add the PC card that Mikelly mentioned.

I got a couple months before the season starts

Thanks everyone for the tips - great help!
Old 12-23-2007, 04:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rasrboy
John,
Is your camera a MINI DVD disc type? If it is I tried it too and it would not even make it out of the pits with out cutting off.

These guys are right, I am going DV and should be good. Best Buy will really have some awesome deals after Xmas.
Yes it has a small disc POcrap

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to you all get the camera out of the car for the holidays!

Now my Sony won't work as the shutter won't open.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PaConehead
I got a cable todAY, but it wasn't right one. It connected out the side of camera with some kind of a mini USBA. pparently the cable i need is unique to Sony to connect from one of the two ouputs at the back of camera. I may need to add the PC card that Mikelly mentioned.

I got a couple months before the season starts

Thanks everyone for the tips - great help!

I was thinking you would need the cable that connects to the lower right then USB to your computer. Good luck - glad the info helped. Happy Holidays.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:25 AM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

That's the cable I picked up. It ran from the port in your pic to one of my USB ports. Movie Maker gave a error message that therewas no device. I think I need one that goes from the 'A/V out' or the 'DV' port to the '1394' input on my PC - does that make sense?
Old 12-24-2007, 02:32 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PaConehead
That's the cable I picked up. It ran from the port in your pic to one of my USB ports. Movie Maker gave a error message that therewas no device. I think I need one that goes from the 'A/V out' or the 'DV' port to the '1394' input on my PC - does that make sense?
That's the message you get if the USB driver software has not been installed. Did you install the CD that came with the camera?
Old 12-24-2007, 03:17 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Does anyone have a actual part number for the adapter cable from Sony or PC card. I am getting a Mini DV Sony Camera after Christmas, probably the same as OP excpet a "28" version.

I was thinking you would need the cable that connects to the lower right then USB to your computer. Good luck - glad the info helped. Happy Holidays.

Get notified of new replies

To Track tapes to PC ?

Old 12-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Last C5
That's the message you get if the USB driver software has not been installed. Did you install the CD that came with the camera?

The camera comes with an Application CD, which includes the USB driver so your computer will recognize the camera, etc. Once you install the CD, and then connect the camera (leaving the CD in the drive), you will see the computer recognize your camera in the lower right corner. You're almost there.

Here is the Sony website for your camera that provides instructions on how to connect it to the computer and transfer video. This link provides you the software required to make this happy if you cannot locate your CD.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 12-24-2007 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:13 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aloha has is right. The Sony offers BOTH usb and firewire. You can use either. My Sony MiniDV came with both cables. Of course I gave up on all the pc stuff and just plug it into my MAC. Then pour a glass of wine, everything else is automatic. Good luck!
Old 12-24-2007, 04:39 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Ok - lt's back to me here - need to check for the software and drivers, that's probably my first mistake. I'll let everybody know if I get this right!

Again - thanks for the help and tips. Merry Christmas, Happy New year, . . . and a safe track season!!!

Last edited by PaConehead; 12-24-2007 at 11:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Track tapes to PC ?