Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T1 Racers - Considering Taking The Plunge; Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 02:44 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default T1 Racers - Considering Taking The Plunge; PLUNGED!!!

I wasn't intending to do this until the end of 2008, but I always have my eye out for a good deal and I think I've found one. I wondered if in this deep pool of T1 experience and talent, y'all might have some advice for somebody about to pull the trigger and go door-to-door racing.

I've been autocrossing for about 3 years now, and have always viewed it as a stepping stone to road racing. I'm a pretty competitive autocrosser and have maybe 15 DE's under my belt. I'm not the fastest guy out there, but I'm learning and making progress every time I run.

I have amassed a good racing setup with an enclosed trailer, tools, enough knowledge of the car to feel comfortable doing all normal maintenance, etc. So, I'm in a pretty good spot to sell my SS Z06 and drop a T1 Z into it's spot.

Obviously T1 is going to cost more to run than autocross on straight consumables. I won't be able to run a ton of races to start with (still have a 2-year-old at home) but I'd probably get to 6 or 7 races in 2008.

The car I'm looking at is Phoenix built, has about 10 races on it, and is very clean. No wrecks or damage on the car. It also comes with 7 sets of (used but not junk) tires, 2 sets of wheels, and some various spare brake and suspension parts. I have no dyno sheet, and the car is an '01, but I don't see that holding me back a lot in the first year or so. It has recently replaced rack-and-pinion, alternator, and hubs.

Anyway, of course I have a million thoughts going through my mind, but wanted to ask you guys. If you were in my shoes - considering making this decision - what are the most important things you would be considering?

Thanks for any thoughts, and Merry Christmas!

PS: Anybody in the market for a low-miles black '02 Z06 set up for SuperStock?

Last edited by mikahb; 12-28-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

As my wife told me before I took the plunge: "If not now, when?"
Old 12-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Also take a look at NASA ST2 with the same car. We have 3 races @ MidOhio this year + the Championship race is there too. Shouldn't be too far for you to travel north. You can run the Competition school in April and race that same weekend. (If you pass the school.)

Contact me if you want more information.

I agree with Falcon.. Might as well do it now.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Racer-38
Racer

with James and Jody....................
as the NIKE commercial says "JUST DO IT"
Old 12-25-2007, 08:39 PM
racin4kicks
Intermediate

I can't speak for NASA ST2 racing, but can tell you a bit about SCCA T1 racing. Currently there are several C5 Z06's for sale. You should look at all of them prior to making a decision. Lance Knupps T1 is for sale and it was virtually rebuilt before and at the Runoffs this year. It was prepared by Phoenix and the crew chief was Kurt O ...who IMHO is one of the best in T1.

My recommendations would be to do as many practice days as possible. Get yourself an in car video system that will allow you to analyze your skill improvement or propensity to make mistakes on certain types of corners. Also getting a good data acquisition system and teaming up with someone else (who has a similar data acquisition system) will improve your learning curve immensely. There is no substitute for good ole seat time. If NASA offers you those type of opportunities then by all means go for the seat time.

To get to the National level in SCCA you will have to do several Regionals. The good and bad news is that typically there is very little if any competition at the Regional level.

I would recommend that once you start racing Nationals that you do as many as you can where the competition is the stiffest instead of doing races with little or no competitors. Some well attended Nationals would include The Sprints at RoadAmerica, Watkins Glen ( NE Division) and the winter races at Sebring and Homestead.

Seat time with driver/instructor feedback is the best. Data acquisition analysis, alignment knowledge and wheel to wheel battling will make you a much better driver as well. Focusing on your driving skills and seat time will prepare you much better for your racing. ( i.e. drive anything and everything you can get your hands on)

Good luck in your decision making and racing in 08.

Peace
AL
Old 12-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

is that typically there is very little if any competition at the Regional level.
Competition varies depending upon the region.

Come to any Northeast regional and you'll race against 15 guys.

Just do it! Make sure your exhaust manifolds are NOT Extrude Honed!
Old 12-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Originally Posted by SCCACornerWorker
Make sure your exhaust manifolds are NOT Extrude Honed!
I know SCCACornerworker's comments were tongue in cheek about Ingle but this is exactly why someone just getting into racing should race in NASA. There is not as much politics, just fun racing.

Also I doubt a 01 Z06 stands a chance in T1 (unless it has the 02 or newer motor in it). Make that Any C5 wont stand a chance in T1 next year.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jaymz
I know SCCACornerworker's comments were tongue in cheek about Ingle but this is exactly why someone just getting into racing should race in NASA. There is not as much politics, just fun racing.

Also I doubt a 01 Z06 stands a chance in T1 (unless it has the 02 or newer motor in it). Make that Any C5 wont stand a chance in T1 next year.
New rules for 08? Or are the C6 Z's being alowed to run?
Old 12-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
New rules for 08? Or are the C6 Z's being alowed to run?
C6 Z06's are allowed to run in SCCA ST not T1.

The 2008 C6 coupe with 430 HP can run in T1 but will have to be 3530

The 05-07 C6's can run at 3280 weight. (but most are coming in at 3330-3350 ish) Which should be the car to have since the 08 took a hard penalty with the weight.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:33 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for the responses fellas.

I see no reason to extrude-hone my exhaust manifolds since I probably can't afford the fancy water pump to complete the package.

FWIW, the "politics" issue doesn't bother me. I've been around motorsports (it's really nearly any sport, actually) long enough to know that there is always some controversy, drama, complaining, etc. Many times it's a matter of perspective, and a dash of misinformation can really build some banter momentum. I deal with enough of that at work - I have no desire to spend my free time worrying about it.

That said, I agree the C5 Z is probably outclassed in T1 going forward. Even if I coudl buy the Motons, the crate motor(s), etc; I'm still coming in to the game running a lame duck. But, I accept that. I'm familiar with the C5. I can drive it, I can work on it, and - the real limiting factor - I can AFFORD it. So, if I find myself the fastest guy in the country driving a C5Z, THEN I'll worry about finding a way to upgrade. Until then, I'll let the fast guys duke it out on the track for first place (and the forums for what it's worth) and I'll focus on developing my driving skills.

NASA is a great option, and I am sure I'll run with them. I also have some great driving/wrenching talent nearby, and I'll do everything I can to learn from him along the way.

I'm trying to help all the pieces fall in place to make this happen. Hope to see some of you out at the track.

Last edited by mikahb; 12-25-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:03 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedOtSix
Thanks for the responses fellas.

I see no reason to extrude-hone my exhaust manifolds since I probably can't afford the fancy water pump to complete the package.

FWIW, the "politics" issue doesn't bother me. I've been around motorsports (it's really nearly any sport, actually) long enough to know that there is always some controversy, drama, complaining, etc. Many times it's a matter of perspective, and a dash of misinformation can really build some banter momentum. I deal with enough of that at work - I have no desire to spend my free time worrying about it.

That said, I agree the C5 Z is probably outclassed in T1 going forward. Even if I coudl buy the Motons, the crate motor(s), etc; I'm still coming in to the game running a lame duck. But, I accept that. I'm familiar with the C5. I can drive it, I can work on it, and - the real limiting factor - I can AFFORD it. So, if I find myself the fastest guy in the country driving a C5Z, THEN I'll worry about finding a way to upgrade. Until then, I'll let the fast guys duke it out on the track for first place (and the forums for what it's worth) and I'll focus on developing my driving skills.

NASA is a great option, and I am sure I'll run with them. I also have some great driving/wrenching talent nearby, and I'll do everything I can to learn from him along the way.

I'm trying to help all the pieces fall in place to make this happen. Hope to see some of you out at the track.
Good choice my friend, hopefully I can say welcome to T1 soon with your new purchase. I am in the same boat as you and just go to have fun and don't care who wins or what politics are going on. The main reason I show up is to get my fix of adrenaline for the weekend.

I have a 03 Z06 T1 car with stock motor (364 RWHP Documented ) and stock GM shocks. I am in Ohio and have no one to run with so I would be more than happy to hang with you if you purchase. I can only afford to run 7-8 races a year & also due to my work travels with Kumho Tire. I can only run what is available when I am off work which usually ends up being Regionals by myself except for a few races in 07 I had one other car.

I did get to run 1 national at Nelson's and got lucky with a pole and a win. That won't happen again.

With that I say, JUST DO IT! Lifes short

Feel free to stay in touch,

Aaron Quine
#21 T1 Corvette Z06
rasrboy@hotmail.com
Old 12-26-2007, 08:29 AM
loudes13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm guessing you're more interested in the costs. You're going to be doing brakes every weekend in T1. You could do tires in a weekend also. Hopefully others will speak up about hubs and other consumables.

I'm biased towards NASA because you get more track time for the $$. Entry for a weekend is around $300-400 for the weekend. With NASA you get 20min practice, 20min quali, and 30min race EACH day. You'll also have a some local competition.

PS. buy radios so your son can tell you when the green flag drops. It's good to get him involved.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:15 AM
5rings
Intermediate

Default In your shoes - almost literally

T1 looks like a complete blast and if it were a perfect world.......

When I initially looked into T1, I thought it would be reasonable to build and campaign a car. Then I looked at what the front runners are doing and my heart fell through the floorboards. I have three small kids and I teach school, money and time are both real issues in my house. Unfortunately, I am too competitive to settle for being lapped. I just don't see the time and the kind of money needed to be competitive falling into my lap any time soon.

I have recently been looking into NASA and ST2. The rules allow for cars that are not as heavily prepped to be competitive and I could even get on the track with my FRC and not feel like I had to go buy a C7. There also seem to be more events within easy driving range of us. I am going to head down to Atlanta to the March driving school and event. I should have a better idea of what is going on when I get back from that.

I would point out that I am pretty new to the Corvette thing and certainly don't have much of anything figured out but I am gathering information as quickly as life will allow. All I know at this juncture is that I want to race and I need to be frugal as possible.

If you want to PM me your number I would love to chat person to person so that I could bleed your brain dry of info. Any tidbit you could give me would be a major help. I would also volunteer my meager services to help you build or maintain a track car.

By the way - I ran an STS2 Miata at the local events for a few weekends but got bored really quickly. I'll bet I'd recognize your car.

Steve in Murfreesboro
Old 12-26-2007, 02:16 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Mikah,
I took the T1 plunge in 2003 and despite my crash last year which kept me out of racing this year I don't regret it for a second. The experiences I've had, the time I've spent with family (my family is my crew) and the friends I've made are unforgettable.

I can't yet comment on the competitiveness of the C5 Z06 in T1 for 08 as I just got back from sea and haven't read the 08 rules yet, but I did note that a C5 finished 3rd at the Runoffs this year, a true gentleman that I raced with for a few years while I was stationed in Memphis TN.

If you can afford it, and by that I mean walk away from the financial implications of totaling your car, and you want to do it, my suggestion is to go for it!

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 12-26-2007, 07:29 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

yer ma heee-row.

I never had such aspirations until recently. I may get there in a few years. Good luck, and announce your races on this forum. I'd like to watch every now and then.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:10 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Lots of T-1 cars 17K to a national champ car w/ spares selling for rumor 21K to 30K (in colorado) cars w/ spares. You can get babied zo6's in mint condition with factory warantees less than 15k miles all day for 25k. You can even get C5 frc's for mid teens and crate motor LS6's for cheap. So there is a lot to pick from if you want a driven T-1 C5 with maybe worn out chassis or make your own T-1 with maybe less stories and a traceable repair history from GM service.

I'd like to see someone develop a C6 A6 if those are T-1 legal. I think there could be advantages with a tweeked slushbox and traction management delete.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:49 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Lots of T-1 cars 17K to a national champ car w/ spares selling for rumor 21K to 30K (in colorado) cars w/ spares. You can get babied zo6's in mint condition with factory warantees less than 15k miles all day for 25k. You can even get C5 frc's for mid teens and crate motor LS6's for cheap. So there is a lot to pick from if you want a driven T-1 C5 with maybe worn out chassis or make your own T-1 with maybe less stories and a traceable repair history from GM service.

I'd like to see someone develop a C6 A6 if those are T-1 legal. I think there could be advantages with a tweeked slushbox and traction management delete.
I don't think the a4 is any slouch either. I'm trying to prove mine out! So far, things have been going well! Faster every time out, and approaching the times that ex-pro drivers are making in the 6 speed versions!

Get notified of new replies

To T1 Racers - Considering Taking The Plunge; Thoughts?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

It is all about the fun. Whatever car you pick, you can do your best and feel confident that you're at your level, and comfortable with your own results. If you start to worry too much about what others are doing, the whole thing becomes more of a money pit. Do the best with what you can, have fun, burn up some tires, cook some adrenaline, and tear it up!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:22 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Subdriver
...If you can afford it, and by that I mean walk away from the financial implications of totaling your car, and you want to do it, my suggestion is to go for it!
Hi Brad, welcome back!

I've closely followed your experiences of the last couple years on this forum and others. I guess even with that - and with Joe Gaudette's crash this year - I'd never really thought about "Can I afford this" in these particular terms. Pretty sobering.

Even though my heart would be broken if I were to bend my car, as long as my ribs weren't broken, I could stand it. My biggest take-away from your and Joe;s experience for me is that you can do this and be safe, even when things go wrong. Of all the places to save a buck, safety is the last place to consider it.

Thanks for sharing your hard-learned lesson with the community, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's taken it to heart. I hope to meet you in person - and hopefully on the racetrack - in 2008.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:07 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedOtSix
Hi Brad, welcome back!
Thanks! It's good to be back home for awhile. My car is back together and I'm planning on racing enough this early spring and summer to qualify for the Runoffs, but haven't decided on where I want to run. My car is still with Phoenix Performance after getting repaired. I may just leave it there and fly out to a few races on the east coast (maybe SE region?) before I deploy again this spring instead of getting it and bringing it here where there aren't too many races before I go out.

One of the reasons I decided to race my own car (vice renting one) is that I could walk away from a wreck financially, e.g. I didn't have to pay to have my car fixed - I could have just left it sitting around until I had the money to repair or replace it (which is pretty much how it played out for me).

But, I really do miss spending time and the track and am really looking forward to getting back out there this year.

Quick Reply: T1 Racers - Considering Taking The Plunge; Thoughts?