Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilover Jihad...hope not

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:03 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Default Coilover Jihad...hope not

So lets say you go with coilovers since they are legal for NASA ST2. Can we talk about coilover design and function? I don't want to start a war but I have questions like:

What makes a good coilover?
Is it all in the shock and shock valving because you can change springs on any coilover?
Are all the standard 2.5 ID springs compatible with all the different coilover options?
Since the vette was not designed for coilover is anyone reinforcing the upper shock mounting points?
How rebuildable are the shocks like access to custom valving, and speed of turnaound?
User accessable valving parts available for diy'er's with shock dynos?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:51 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
So lets say you go with coilovers since they are legal for NASA ST2. Can we talk about coilover design and function? I don't want to start a war but I have questions like:

What makes a good coilover?
Is it all in the shock and shock valving because you can change springs on any coilover?
Are all the standard 2.5 ID springs compatible with all the different coilover options?
Since the vette was not designed for coilover is anyone reinforcing the upper shock mounting points?
How rebuildable are the shocks like access to custom valving, and speed of turnaound?
User accessable valving parts available for diy'er's with shock dynos?

A coilover package starts with the base shock. There are a ton of good shock companies out there. We love the Bilsteins BTW. The valving and spring rates are the most important part of making the package work together. The 2.5 inch springs are hard to package in these cars with stock mounts. We opted to use a 2.25 inch spring. You can buy them just about anywhere you can find a 2.5 inch. The upper mounts are just fine if you aren't running too low or not enough bump and the shock starts bottoming out. Too much bottoming could cause a issue way down the road.
Bilstien turns stuff around pretty fast and they can do almost anything you need them to do.
I don't suggest rebuilding and revalving all by yourself. It should be done by someone that knows the shock and has played around a little.

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Old 12-28-2007, 02:25 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I agree with Randy. Bilsteins are the best. You can't go wrong with either DRM's or our LG Coil over package. Both set ups have won races in the highly competitive World Challenge series.

We use our own Coil over shocks in our World Challenge cars with great success. They are already valved per my specs.

We also recommend 2 1/4" Springs for many reasons. One is to reduce weight compared to the 2 1/2" springs and we go with 8" tall springs for the same reason.

Thanks
LG

* Custom Shock Bodies to achieve lowest ride height and low CG
* Spherical Bearings, not rubber mounts
* Nitrogen Gas Presurized seperate chamber eliminates air in shock oil
* Aluminum Shock Bodies, Lightest, hard anodized for long life
* Mount Upside down for Less UnSprung weight by being gas pressurized
* Custom Valving per LGM
* Fully Take apart for rebuilding and revalving
* HyperCoil springs, the gold standard spring
* Track and street Tested and optomized by LGM and Bilstein Engineers
* Developed to be used with Z06 or T1 size sway bars to insure no linkage binding
* 100% guaranteed for 2 years even on track.
* Free spring swap to suit your driving needs

Call any time to discuss what you need for your car's suspension.

Thanks
Lou G

Note: That is an Old Photo and does not show current stock type "T" bar mount Below:

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 12-28-2007 at 07:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Coilover Jihad...hope not

Quick Reply: Coilover Jihad...hope not