Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 04:46 PM
boostedj
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Question??

What is a "low speed autocross" wouldent that be boring?? Low speed? Dont we have vetts to go fast???
Old 12-29-2007, 04:57 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I beleive that is a "normal" autocross
Old 12-29-2007, 05:00 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

something about pushing orange cones around. Oh wait, that is a point deduction . . .
Old 12-29-2007, 05:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It takes talent and equipment like anything else. Go try it and see how slow it is. Then see how slow you are.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:13 PM
boostedj
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Shiels
It takes talent and equipment like anything else. Go try it and see how slow it is. Then see how slow you are.
I rent out local track here, no cones!! So dont run your mouth about fast till you get on a real track and get out of second gear!!! No cones here!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 05:22 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Originally Posted by boostedj
I rent out local track here, no cones!! So dont run your mouth about fast till you get on a real track and get out of second gear!!! No cones here!!!
Pueblo.. I am guessing.. the back side isn't much faster than an autocross

For the ****-definition types: Autocross is defined as a slow-speed precision driving competition. For the SCCA, speeds for the fastest stock and street prepared cars should not generally go above 65mph.

That all being said, the most scared I have been in a car was at an Autocross.. in a Honda.. slaloming at 94mph. Hitting more than 190 at Daytona didn't scare me that much. Speed, gears and mph are realitive.

Then we can go on and talk about the list of pro drivers who have come up through autocross.. (and many of the guys listed on the "whos fast" thread on this very forum..)

Jon K
Old 12-29-2007, 05:29 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

John Out of 2nd gear?

I dont think he ever gets down to 2nd, or maybe in and out of the pits.

He spends more time in 5th gear close to red line then most of us. Something about Pocono Long course, eating Vipers and Ferrari's before lunch time
Old 12-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

My bet would be :
John has been going fast on land, and water, longer than you've been on this planet.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:03 PM
SteveC6R
Instructor

Low Speed as defined by the NCCC is 80mph or less. The SCCA doesn't have a Low/High speed AutoX. Most National level SCCA events are 70ish or less.

And take it from somebody who ran Stock Cars and Open Wheels for 5 years, it's a lot harder than it looks and takes a lot of skill to be good at it.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:30 PM
boostedj
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bink
My bet would be :
John has been going fast on land, and water, longer than you've been on this planet.

Ok $10000 on the table for john, you pick the track and well time, you internet junkies dont know who your talking to.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:32 PM
boostedj
Instructor

Originally Posted by SteveC6R
Low Speed as defined by the NCCC is 80mph or less. The SCCA doesn't have a Low/High speed AutoX. Most National level SCCA events are 70ish or less.

And take it from somebody who ran Stock Cars and Open Wheels for 5 years, it's a lot harder than it looks and takes a lot of skill to be good at it.
And thank you for actualy answering the question!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 07:36 PM
boostedj
Instructor

Originally Posted by SteveC6R

I dont know where you guys read I said it was easy, I just never seen a low speed autocross and wanted to know what it was.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:13 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Ok $10000 on the table for john, you pick the track and well time, you internet junkies dont know who your talking to.
enlighten us Oh wise one . . .
Old 12-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

It really doesn't matter who I'm talking to.

According to your profile your name is Justin. Justin has been a popular male name for less than 30 years. Odds are in my favor therefore that John has been traveling at high rates of speed, on land or water, for greater than 30 years - or your age.

That was the bet as stated in the above post. Friendly bet.

Now, if I was betting against an unknown driver that would be a different story with different odds.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:50 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 12-30-2007, 12:45 AM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

why so angry??? i can out run just about anyone on a track but cant even remember outside, inside, around,then inside ,outside,,,, long enuf to get through the cones let alone do it fast..

Last edited by TRACKMAN2; 12-30-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:48 AM
linutux
Pro

I can't really get into the typical autocross, which always seems like a scaled down road course.

But these "Gymkhana" type events are very cool :

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid Question??

Old 12-30-2007, 06:56 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racerjon1
Pueblo.. I am guessing.. the back side isn't much faster than an autocross

For the ****-definition types: Autocross is defined as a slow-speed precision driving competition. For the SCCA, speeds for the fastest stock and street prepared cars should not generally go above 65mph.

That all being said, the most scared I have been in a car was at an Autocross.. in a Honda.. slaloming at 94mph. Hitting more than 190 at Daytona didn't scare me that much. Speed, gears and mph are realitive.

Then we can go on and talk about the list of pro drivers who have come up through autocross.. (and many of the guys listed on the "whos fast" thread on this very forum..)

Jon K
Autocross teaches you many good things about car handling and stiction. As Jon says it can also get you scared when you spin it towards a light pole. It is lessons easily applied to road racing.

The only downside I see is the seat time is almost always limited to 3-5 runs a day - but it is cheaper than track events - normally. I rarely autoX anymore - I also rarely drag race anymore either -

Jon scared, right
Old 12-30-2007, 09:03 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Hopefully not a reflection on the people here but the few times I've been to an Auto-X the people there are a bit...different?

They seem to be a strange group here in Michigan...lot of arguing, whining, complaining and general insanity at the few events I went to.

The people kept me from going back, not the events themselves.

My absolute favorite and hilarious 'race' story was when I went to an Auto-X not too far from the house. There was a guy there, HUGE chip on his shoulder about his new super duper go kart he just bought. Of course he had all the stuff on looked like he was ready to hop in an F1 car and go beat everyones records.

I don't know exactly what the deal was or if there is somekind of unlimited class but it was a 500cc, or so he said, kart. Guy never had been in one on a track.

He turns the first corner and its about a 75ft straightaway. Nails the gas, gets through a gear and the acceleration was phenomenal. I've owned a 700hp car before and don't think it accelerated like this thing did....he about crapped himself, totally forgot to turn and went blasting through the cones at the end of the straight and on for another 350 ft before he realized what had happened. It was priceless.

Auto-X are here is very cliquey. Your expect to know everything there is to know.

A guy I used to work with, no longer with us thankfully, I think he is a climate control engineer for Ford now. Guy was a complete tool...at this very safe auto-X after donning his gloves, cleaning off his tires NHRA style at the starting line, then promptly stalling the car

Before that however Spectrewerks brought a customers car up there. C5, all the bells and whistles. They pull in and start to drive through the lot, not where near the track area. Nothing is labeled, no signs and they are tooling around at about 3mph looking where to go. The same guy as above jumps out in front of the car, burger in hand and starts screaming at them that they are going the wrong way. Mouth full of food and making a complete fool of himself. The guys in the C5 were decent, just looking where to park, they also showed an amazing amount of restraint.

I had enough at that point and went home, that was in 2003.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:22 AM
racerjon1
Racer

Originally Posted by varkwso
Autocross teaches you many good things about car handling and stiction. As Jon says it can also get you scared when you spin it towards a light pole. It is lessons easily applied to road racing.

The only downside I see is the seat time is almost always limited to 3-5 runs a day - but it is cheaper than track events - normally. I rarely autoX anymore - I also rarely drag race anymore either -

Jon scared, right
I wouldn't have run into a poll, as it was an airport course. But yea.. it wasn't scared in the "wow I am going to die" way but more the "woah.. this isn't autocrossing, and I don't really feel like if this thing does get out of control I have any chance of saving it.. my "stock" class CRX would corner at 1.28g on concrete, which this event was, when it let go, it would let go hard.. or just roll up on two wheels.

I was running 110' spaced slaloms and offsets in the mid 90s.. the finish was a set of stair stepped gates where I was sliding through the chute in a car with no cage at 94mph..

Interestingly enough, an SCCA national tour autocross there was protested for being "too fast" and the protest was upheld.

As far as the limited SeatTime thing.. that's actually one of the things I like about it. No place will teach you to be ready faster and get things right as early as autocrossing. I feel like in my few pro experiences with limited practice time, and certainly One Lap of America, my autocrossing helps out in spades.

Originally Posted by NoOne
Hopefully not a reflection on the people here but the few times I've been to an Auto-X the people there are a bit...different?

They seem to be a strange group here in Michigan...lot of arguing, whining, complaining and general insanity at the few events I went to.

The people kept me from going back, not the events themselves......

Auto-X are here is very cliquey. Your expect to know everything there is to know.
I was talking to my local autocross chair the other day about this (South Carolina) and how I have gone out of region and sometimes experienced rudeness from the locals.. for me it's strange.. this is supposed to be a club thing, a fun thing and a way to make friends.

In South Carolina, we assign people to help walk a novice through the day, we give a relaxed atmosphere, run a pro class for the "fast guys" so that the guys without the experience and top equipment can still fight for class wins. We can't put our finger on it, but we don't have the clique-type issues. (And as a byproduct, we have a lot of girls that autocross with us.. 20 out of 100 of our regulars are girls that run each event, compete for championships, etc..)

When I go to out of region events with strong cliques, I just do the right thing - focus on beating them by as much as possible. Events with good guys - North New Jersey region comes to mind - I usually end up working timing or helping with course design..

Jon K

Quick Reply: Stupid Question??