Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas ----the deal of the century

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:49 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas ----the deal of the century

wi thal the boo hoos about gas i give you this to ponder

1 they drill for it over in the middle east.
2 they pump it to a holing station
3 they pump it from there into a billion dollar supertanker
4 they float it halfway around the world
5 they off load it into holding tanks
6 they pump it into trucks and take it to a refinery that costs billions
7 they refine it
8 they pump it back into trucks
9 they deliver it to your lockal suplier
10 you get it and it only costs 3.25 a gallon
11 and half of that is taxes

20 ounces of cofee 1.25
1 gallon of milk almost 3 bucks and you can squeeze it out of a cow.
1 red bull 2.00
gatorade 2.75 quart
1 mocha double latte from starbucks 8 bucks...
Old 01-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Now imagine if we could recover our OWN oil. ANWR, Wyoming and Utah shale, off the coast, in the gulf, and build a few more refineries. We have enough of our own to provide us for about 300 years. And if the government would actually use the petroleum taxex for what they were inteded we would have the greatest infrastructure in the world. Either that or cut the taxes to a reasonable rate seeing they do nothing to locate, drill, recover, transport, or refine the oil. They make way more than any oil company could ever dream of on a per gallon basis.

Ok...off the soapbox. I have heard things like this before. Whiteout is like $136 a gal and such

Bob
Old 01-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

If it is such a good deal then why do I feel the need to take birth control pills before going to the gas station (or a car dealer)
Old 01-03-2008, 11:11 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

you forgot that it costs like .10 to pump a barrel of oil.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:12 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

true ,, but just think how much those poeple in the mid east would hate our guts if we quit buying there oil.. hey hate us now and we are there gift horse?? how many quarts of crude oil are in a set of hoosiers???? this is the Road race page..
Old 01-03-2008, 11:14 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All good in theory, but I don't need 20+ gallons a week of red bull or coffee. I buy 1 cup a day at $1.50 vs needing 20+ gallons of the slippery stuff every week or more.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:16 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Ok...off the soapbox. I have heard things like this before. Whiteout is like $136 a gal and such

Bob[/QUOTE]

not to mention invented buy a parent of one of the MONKEYS..
Old 01-03-2008, 11:22 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95jersey
All good in theory, but I don't need 20+ gallons a week of red bull or coffee. I buy 1 cup a day at $1.50 vs needing 20+ gallons of the slippery stuff every week or more.
i use about 175 gallons a week ( before track time) but have freinds that are landscape contractors even small ones that use 3,000 gallons a month
Old 01-04-2008, 10:09 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN2
i use about 175 gallons a week ( before track time) but have freinds that are landscape contractors even small ones that use 3,000 gallons a month
just tell them the coffee vs gas theory and they will be happy.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Now imagine if we could recover our OWN oil. ANWR, Wyoming and Utah shale, off the coast, in the gulf, and build a few more refineries. We have enough of our own to provide us for about 300 years. And if the government would actually use the petroleum taxex for what they were inteded we would have the greatest infrastructure in the world. Either that or cut the taxes to a reasonable rate seeing they do nothing to locate, drill, recover, transport, or refine the oil. They make way more than any oil company could ever dream of on a per gallon basis.

Bob
Supposedly, when oil reaches $65 a barrel or so, it becomes cost efficient to drill the deeper vast pool of oil in the gulf. So, where is the drilling now that oil is $100 a barrel? Then again, if the U.S. had made a deal with the middle east to swap oil for rebuilding expenses we would be enjoying cheap oil. Well, actually, we have paid dearly for that oil, some a lot more than others, and still do not receive it.

Could the answer lie in the fact that the Pres. is knee deep in big oil and he has undeniable interest in keeping the price high? well DUH!!??
Old 01-04-2008, 12:04 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Carolina C4 Racer
If it is such a good deal then why do I feel the need to take birth control pills before going to the gas station (or a car dealer)
Don't worry us dealer folk are getting screwed plenty.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by southern_son
Supposedly, when oil reaches $65 a barrel or so, it becomes cost efficient to drill the deeper vast pool of oil in the gulf. So, where is the drilling now that oil is $100 a barrel? Then again, if the U.S. had made a deal with the middle east to swap oil for rebuilding expenses we would be enjoying cheap oil. Well, actually, we have paid dearly for that oil, some a lot more than others, and still do not receive it.

Could the answer lie in the fact that the Pres. is knee deep in big oil and he has undeniable interest in keeping the price high? well DUH!!??
Sounds to me like that's the case!
Old 01-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Uncle Sam
Instructor

There was a comedian, I can't remember his name, who did a bit about people complaining about the cost of mailing a letter. What was so funny is he pointed out that someone would come to your house, pick up the letter and hand deliver across the country for 40 some cents.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:54 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A large part of the price of gas is from the trading of oil futures. The $100 price came from some guy who wanted to be the first to pay it:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080104...ilpriceoffbeat
Old 01-04-2008, 01:58 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, if you think $3.00/gallon is too much then just try to push your truck for 12 miles. It's still a bargain and extremely efficient! IMHO
Old 01-04-2008, 02:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Well, if you think $3.00/gallon is too much then just try to push your truck for 12 miles. It's still a bargain and extremely efficient! IMHO
4.00 or more I may be pushing it uphill
Old 01-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Viscerl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Now imagine if we could recover our OWN oil. ANWR, Wyoming and Utah shale, off the coast, in the gulf, and build a few more refineries. We have enough of our own to provide us for about 300 years.
Sorry, but that is totally false if you count all the oil in the US territories that would cost less than $100 a barrel to retrieve.

Oil - USA consumption:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../print/us.html
20.73 million bbl/day (2004 est.)

USA Oil reserves:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves
"United States proven oil reserves declined to a little less than 21 gigabarrels by the end of 2006 according to the Energy Information Administration, a 46% decline from the 39 gigabarrels it had in 1970 when the huge Alaska North Slope ('ANS') reserves were booked. With production of around 5 million barrels per day, this represents about an 11 year supply of oil.
No oil fields of similar size to the ANS reserves have been found in the US since 1970. With over 2.3 million wells having been drilled in the US since 1949,there are very few unexplored areas left where another supergiant oil field is likely to be found. As oil fields get closer to the end of production, estimates of what is left become more accurate. Consequently, US oil reserve numbers are very accurate compared to those of other countries."

21,000,000,000/20,000,000 = 1050 days (about 3 years).

Thats why we import oil.

Get notified of new replies

To gas ----the deal of the century

Old 01-05-2008, 01:16 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I have read that in 2020-30 or so oil will be in super short supply where it will skyrocket in price. By then I'll be turning into oil anyway
Old 01-05-2008, 01:31 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not all reserves have been made public knowledge

I happen to know somebody that was very closely involved with locating vast reserves in our own back yard. Using others oil up first is part of a bigger plan concerning more than just money.

I spend little time thinking about such things since there is nothing I can really do or at least choose to do about it. I just hope the "leaders" of my beloved country realize rapping us is not going to leave much of a legacy for their own families over time. They will die and leave behind a pile of cash for a very few and everyone else will suffer from their current blind greed. I guess they must think having super rich families living in a FUBAR world is worth it.

In the mean time, I am just going to enjoy what I have while I can and wish my future family the best of luck

Rick
Old 01-05-2008, 11:09 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

there is enuf natural gas frozen under the sea to power every thing for a long time... BUT IN THE MEAN TIME WE MUST INTRODUCE A BILL THAT ONCE GAS SUPLIES FALL BEYOND A CERTIAN POINT.... IT SHALL ONLY BE USED TO POWER CORVETTES.. and mabee emergency vehicles so we can still have hpde!!!!!

Quick Reply: gas ----the deal of the century