Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Autox: LTx technical issues?

Old 01-09-2008, 11:35 AM
nogoodsam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C4 Autox: LTx technical issues?

I've read the Sticky about Auto-x (bring water, new brake fluid, etc..). I'm preparing my car (1996 LT4) for auto-x for the first time and continuing with other auto-x events. My concerns is for my car.

What issue should I address to avoid damage or upgrades?

Here's my list so far:
1. Oil starvation for LTx issue
Solution: Install racing oil pan (or other?)

2. Power steeering issue
Solution: Install TurnONE pump with DRM hose kit (needed?)

3. Perform regular maintance (oil change, coolant, brake, ....etc)

4. ?? what else for C4s LTx ??

Any issue these cars have I should address??
TIA
Old 01-09-2008, 12:24 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

For low speed autoxing the pan isn't necessary, just fill it an extra quart.

The stock pump should be fine too.

It's when you start doing track events that it matters.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't speak for the autoX crowd but I have taken my LT1 to HPDE and time trial events for the last five years, probably over 30 times and 60+ hours at track events, so here is my take. LTX's are really tough engines, other than the routne Opti problem, thay are pretty bulletproof.

1) I have never had any issue with oil starvation, my Gtech has recorded cornering forces in excess of 1.3 G's; I use Redline 10w-40 and overfill it a half quart.

2) No power steering overheating issues here, your car has a power steering cooler. I did spring a leak in the cooler last time out so watch for any loss of fluid level.

3) Routine stuff.

4) Beat the cr** out of it, these are not high dollar classics; see if you can beat some newer C5's and C6's. Get the best tires you can.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:07 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would suggest that doing the basic preventaive maintence steps will suffice for the first time. Do a brake fluid flush and refill using a good DOT3 or 4 brake fluid. Castrol LMA, Ford HD Motorsports or Valvoline fluid will work fine. Check the flexible brake hoses for any indication of swelling or leaks and replace if needed.

A good stock pad will work initially but you can also go with a pad like the Hawk HPS pad. Make sure the rotors are in good shape when you install new pads. If there is a bedding procedure (like Hawk has) follow it.

Check the wheel bearing for excess play. Raise the wheel of fthe ground and grab the wheel at top and bottom and push in and out.

Check the condition of the factory seat/shoulder belt. No frays, belt locks and releases easily. Don't forget to remove everything from the car that is loose; floormats, CD's, cell phone, coffee cup. Do this before leaving for the event!

You didn't say how many miles are on the car, but check all of the fluids. A change of differential gear oil is not hard to do so get two bottles of the GM Posi additive and the proper weight (75W-90 GL5 ?) gear oil and ca cheap suction pump. If the car has high miles, then cnsider changing the fluid in the ZF tranny.

You will see some high RPM operation so make sure the PS fluid level is between the low and high mark on the cap dipstick. If the fluid is original, flush the old fluid and replace with something like Red Line synthetic PS fluid.

Check the coolant level in the overflow bottle. You car uses DexCool so if you haven't had the coolant changed within the last 5 years, it would be a good idea to have that done (not anyhing that is autocross-specific, it's just good maintenance).

I don't believe that there is any need to change the oil pan. An extra quart or even 1/2 quart in the motor will work fine.

Find a decent 12v air compressor and get a good tire pressure gauge. At some point, you will want to play with tire pressures to improve times, or help some with handling.

Do you have any prior autocross experience? If you don't, the most important thing is to prepare yourself. Walk the course as much as you can, ask experienced drivers for help (most all of them will be happy to give you some help if you say you're a novice).

Get seat time. Then get more. Once you learn how to drive the car and negotiate a course, then you can work on improving the car. But seat time is the most important thing yu can do to get skills needed to go fast(er).

Get a good helmet. Most events have "loaner" helmets but you may not be able to find one that fits you. Ask what the helmet spec is for the event, Many events will allow a DOT M-rated motorcycle helmet and some may want a mortorsports SA-rated helmet.

And did I mention getting seat time?? Get lots of seat time.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:26 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
For low speed autoxing the pan isn't necessary, just fill it an extra quart.

The stock pump should be fine too.

It's when you start doing track events that it matters.
Autox isn't that hard on LTx cars (my first autox car was a '94 Z-28). You've already read the sticky so I won't go over that stuff again.

Basically, autox doesn't put that much heat into a car; there's just not enough time on course. Likewise with oil starvation; the lateral g's aren't sustained long enough to deplete the oil level. I believe the extra quart (which you can run normally without problems, you don't have to drain it back out) is mainly to make sure the oil doesn't get into a sloshing cycle (like in a slalom) that could unport the oil pickup.

Welcome to the addiction!

Mike
Old 01-09-2008, 01:38 PM
yoitsmatt
Advanced

I just installed the z51 springs and koni single adjustable on my 96 for autocrossing as well wish someone could tell me how to get to the rear adjusters though!!! Good luck! What class are you going to run? Stock class changing the oil pan wouldnt be legal. I would love to have a some more A stock vettes to run against!

Last edited by yoitsmatt; 01-09-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:03 PM
nogoodsam
Racer

Thanks for the inputs!!
Sounds like most of the issues with the LTx are related to high speed tracknig and not auto-x then! (car is LT4 w/ 23k miles)

Thanks for the info all!!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:29 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Originally Posted by yoitsmatt
I just installed the z51 springs and koni single adjustable on my 96 for autocrossing as well wish someone could tell me how to get to the rear adjusters though!!! Good luck! What class are you going to run? Stock class changing the oil pan wouldnt be legal. I would love to have a some more A stock vettes to run against!
Either unbolt the top of the shock and pull it down or drill a hole above each shock and fashion a tool to turn the adjuster.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

One bit of advice that helped me gain a lot of speed at the AutoX course, USE SECOND GEAR!!!!!!
I watch the people run at the NCCC events any they are winding the crap out of there cars in 1st gear, sliding all over the place and posting really bad times.
I try to get into 2nd as soon as I can and let the torque pull you through the course, it may not sound like you going as fast as the high revers, but you will have much more control and you will be able to concentrate on where you are going instead of shifting etc.
Obviously it depends on the track, but once I started doing that I was much faster than before.

Oh yeah, make sure you at least use synthetic power steering fluid, it will help the sooner you start to use it.

Joel

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Autox: LTx technical issues?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 Autox: LTx technical issues?