Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA and HPDE...what do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NASA and HPDE...what do I need to know?

Well, after purchasing my 2003 ZO6, I'm more inclined to get off the drag strip and onto a road course. I'm a NASA member but beyond that I'm clueless about getting in an HPDE event. Can you guys fill me in on the basics that I need to know.

I know I would be in HPDE 1 as I have no experience.
I have a properly rated helmet.
My car requires inspection before each event.

Do I need any sort of license?
Do I need numbers for my car?

Is is that simple?

thanks
Old 01-10-2008, 11:21 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Drug Delivery
Well, after purchasing my 2003 ZO6, I'm more inclined to get off the drag strip and onto a road course. I'm a NASA member but beyond that I'm clueless about getting in an HPDE event. Can you guys fill me in on the basics that I need to know.

Is is that simple?

thanks
That is pretty much all you need to get started. A sound car, helment, tank of gas, some water, a good nights sleep can't hurt. There is a ton of guys on the forum that can get you pointed to your first event, that live in your area.

Randy
Old 01-10-2008, 11:57 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do need numbers to run NASA. I have a good friend that does my numbers as a side business. I can get you some. Other than that it helps to study the track and maybe read speed secrets 1. I would maybe recommend some better brake pads and fluid.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:19 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
That is pretty much all you need to get started. A sound car, helment, tank of gas, some water, a good nights sleep can't hurt. There is a ton of guys on the forum that can get you pointed to your first event, that live in your area.

Randy
and some ginger pills or gum to keep your stomach calm! I always have them with me!
Old 01-11-2008, 06:32 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Is is that simple?

thanks
It is that simple. Painters tape will work fine for HPDE numbers. With a good bleed on your brake fluid the stock ZO6 pads will work great for your HPDE kickoff. I do not know your region but if you have any questions about NASA-SE fire away...
Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

I agree with blue painters tape for numbers... it works just fine.

But all you really need is:
You
Car
Helmet
Gas
Painters tape
Smile...

and thats about it. Then go out and enjoy! I've been tracking with nasa for almost 2 years now and they are a great club. I LOVE nasa becuase its a family
Old 01-11-2008, 08:28 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Is is that simple?

thanks
The National Corvette Museum runs DEs as well and we have VIR at the end of June and Rd America in August if either of those are in your area. We run all classes, provide numbers and Tom Wallace & Kirk Bennion are among our instructors. Our students have included Wil Cooksey (Assembly Plant manager) and Tom Peters, Corvette designer. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at roc@corvettemuseum.com
Old 01-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Just use blue painters tape to make your numbers at first As for basic prep:

1. Bleed the brakes so you have fresh fluid

2. Make sure your oem pads are at least 1/2 thickness or more

3. Bring a spare set of pads just in case (Active Handling can wear out brand new rear pads in 1 day, happened to my father)

4. Not sure if the Corvettes still come with an owners video, but on mine from '01 there's a section on doing HPDEs and getting in the proper seating position. You want to be close to the wheel and upright. The idea is to be able to comfortable rest the bottom of your wrist on the top of the steering wheel w/ some bend still in your arm. You should be able to put your foot on the floor undter the brake pedal w/ a slight bend still in your knee.

5. Remember your oem lap belt has a sinch feature by pulling it all the way out and letting it retract. This engages the locker and you can pull it very tight against your hips. Pull it as tight as you can possibly get it because it will loosen up as you drive (your body will compress the seat). To un-do it you simply unbuckle the seat belt and let it retract then it will be back to normal.

6. If you like your paint take the time to use the painters tape to tape behind each wheel and the leading edge of your mirrors. I've also found the very front edge of the door gets chipped as does the entire rocker. The nose/hood gets dirty but very little chipping. Many of us use clear contact paper from walmart... it's awesome. The painters tape will leave zero residue, but the contact paper can leave a little. Nothing a wash can't take care of.

HTH,
Brain

PS: Remember you can't drive for ****.... have an open mind... listen to your instructor, and most of all.... have a blast!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

+1 on all above.
There's a sticky at top of this section with related advice.
Don't get overwhelmed.

In your region, there are NASA-approved pre-event tech stations that will tech your car for free.
Alternatively, go to your local shop that has an ASE mechanic; preferably a shop that is somehow involved in track events.

A tip ... get your seating position set, with seats and mirrors, and set it to memory 3 (both buttons) ... then you have a permanent track-specific seating position.
Above all ... be rested, relaxed, hydrated, packed a day ahead of time, and leave your ego at the gate ... and prepare to become addicted!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I did a writeup on ECSRacing Forum for beginners to read. It walks you through what you need to sign up and what things you will need. It also walks you through what you should expect when you get there the first time.

I wrote it to alleviate some of the anxiety for first timers.

Here is the link:

http://www.ecsracing.com/ecsracing/f...splay.php?f=67

BTW - if you are in the NE area you are more than welcome to join us at any one of the track dates that we go to as a group. I always found it more fun to be there with a large crowd and your learning curve is greatly decreased. Just check ECSRacing for scheduled dates.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:56 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
But all you really need is:
You
Car
Helmet
Gas
Painters tape
Smile...
You don't even need the smile. They're provided for free after your first session.

The only other thing I'd add is check all of your consumables before you go to the track. It's no fun if you're scrambling between sessions to bleed brakes or change fluids. You don't get time to relax and bench race with your buddies...that's the second best part.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:06 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
and some ginger pills or gum to keep your stomach calm! I always have them with me!
Very good point. I never have any stomach issues at all in everyday life. But on the grid and the pace lap, I get some reflux. It goes away after the green flag drops. I chew down a Rollaid and problems are solved! I don't chew gum because what do you do with it after you are driving.

Randy
Old 01-11-2008, 01:33 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Very good point. I never have any stomach issues at all in everyday life. But on the grid and the pace lap, I get some reflux. It goes away after the green flag drops. I chew down a Rollaid and problems are solved! I don't chew gum because what do you do with it after you are driving.

Randy
i use the pills because i always have to swallow the gum!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:25 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget the +1 qt oil. The NASA tech check list is a good thing to go over. Read the NASA web site on clothing and such, bring drinking water and food if there are no vendors.

But, yes its that simple. And you'll be wondering why you didn't do it sooner!
Old 01-11-2008, 05:09 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
.... bench race with your buddies...that's the second best part.

It is even better later on the forums where they have nothing for you on the track but they sure do on the "net"....

TimZO6, WNDWPDLR and a few others also instruct for NASA - the factory guys are almost as good as them....seriously there are lots of good groups out there on track and most of the instructors instruct for most of them...
Old 01-11-2008, 05:10 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you feel like you have the knowledge you can tech you own car. You can go the your local chapter website and download a tech sheet. Tech is pretty straight forward, it is mostly about having a road worthy car. But the most important thing to know is that this is a very addictive habit so be prepared.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Where are you located?

Get notified of new replies

To NASA and HPDE...what do I need to know?

Old 01-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

I look forward to meeting some of you guys this year. I plan on making it down to Road Atlanta and Barber this year with NASA SE. I will be running in HPDE 2 to start off with. I have enough track time with the SVT guys to go ahead and run in group 3, but I figure with a new car and running with a new club I will step back and get to know the system.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
I look forward to meeting some of you guys this year. I plan on making it down to Road Atlanta and Barber this year with NASA SE. I will be running in HPDE 2 to start off with. I have enough track time with the SVT guys to go ahead and run in group 3, but I figure with a new car and running with a new club I will step back and get to know the system.
Same boat here. We'll be "newbies" together.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
I look forward to
Hell, I just looked at your profile and realized who it was.
See you at the track Eric!

Quick Reply: NASA and HPDE...what do I need to know?