Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Car Camcorder Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Rag-Top Rick
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default In Car Camcorder Questions!

Thanks for stepping in!
Some of you have posted in the past NOT to run the DVD type Camcorder due to poor picture stabilization, etc.
Has anyone tried the newer HD Hard-drive based camera/s and was the stabilization sufficient compared to the Mini-DV type Camcorder???

Since I`m buying a new one I thought I`d ask, the newer HD Hard-drive systems sound like they would be a lot easier/faster to download and edit however it`s a moot point if the picture quality is crap!

Thanks in advance for your feedback, Rick

P.S. I`ll be using this camera for other uses as well (family, etc) so a bullet cam is not a consideration.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:56 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I was told by my camera guy that the hard drive ones will not like the bumps. and I've read of people complaining that the hard drives shut off if they move/bump. the following vid is with a mini dv tape camera, notice no skipping even after I spin and hit the pea gravel pretty hard? I also have an in car vidoe of when i got the car airborne on the street and the tape does not skip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHgDSPLWYi8

The camera ia a sony handicam dcr-hc46, comes with a mini remote, and all the normal accessories.

Last edited by GeorgeZNJ; 01-11-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:04 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

For now it seems you definitely have to stay with mini dv. Even the newest generation dvds and hard drives won't survive a trip on the roll bar. It seems that even some of the new mini dvs with the new optical image stabilization don't work either. If you can find one with a mini dv tape system, electronic image stabilization, and an external microphone jack - your in business.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:13 AM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flash based cameras seem to work well. I like the results from the Panasonic DMC-TZ3. It does 16:9 widescreen(840x480 30fps). Has built in wideangle and 10x optical zoom. Costs under $250. The downside is that it has limited record time of 25 minutes(2GB) at high res. Still long enough for most track sessions. For longer sessions you could use a lower, normal resolution.

Here's a sample from forum member "Dirty Howie":
http://www.corvettekillstories.com/p...redspinout.mov

Here's a couple of forum threads:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&highlight=TZ3

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1886873
Old 01-12-2008, 04:25 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
For now it seems you definitely have to stay with mini dv. Even the newest generation dvds and hard drives won't survive a trip on the roll bar. It seems that even some of the new mini dvs with the new optical image stabilization don't work either. If you can find one with a mini dv tape system, electronic image stabilization, and an external microphone jack - your in business.

I bought a new SONY and it sucks so I had to go back to my old mini tape camcorder which was a Sony, PITA to convert to digital
Old 01-12-2008, 07:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by linutux
The downside is that it has limited record time of 25 minutes(2GB) at high res.
What about low res? How long and what is the picture quality like?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:36 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I'll have to go to the offshore boat forum and ask my freinds what they use. You are talking hits that shorten your spine an 1"
Old 01-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Rag-Top Rick
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys, I had hoped that the latest HD Hard-drive cameras had advanced enough by now that they rivaled the old Mini-DV.

The good thing is the Mini-DV`s are cheap and reliable, the bad thing is they`re "stone-age" when it comes to down-loading and editing!

Thanks again for the feedback..............

Rick
Old 01-12-2008, 08:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rag-Top Rick
Thanks guys, I had hoped that the latest HD Hard-drive cameras had advanced enough by now that they rivaled the old Mini-DV.

The good thing is the Mini-DV`s are cheap and reliable, the bad thing is they`re "stone-age" when it comes to down-loading and editing!

Thanks again for the feedback..............

Rick
at least you have something to download
Old 01-12-2008, 09:14 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

I have only used my miniDV in my track car. It 'blipped' only once when I tweaked my chassis dropping off the front stretch at Nashville Speedway roadcourse (wrenched the left front fender into the hood and cracked it inboard about an inch x 6 inches long, and yes, I was fairly close to the grass on the inside for smoother transition ) I have a panasonic 150. According to my Adobe photoshop manual, miniDV allows more precise editing, and, believe it or not, better resolution than HDD. Check it out. And furthermore, it is my understanding from a motorcycle forum, a fellow biker left his new optical stabilizing camcorder back home and went back to his EIS camcorder because it was unfazed by the bike's vibrations.

Also, a few months back, Popular Science profiled the suitability of different medium for long term storage and good tapes beat even some DVD's. It seems that once burned in, DVD's are somewhat weakened. Of course, the gold premium DVD's last longer. YMMV.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:50 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Unfortunately anything recording onto disc (hard drive or DVD) is affected by vibration. Flash memory recording devices are inherently stable since there are no moving parts
Old 01-13-2008, 02:06 AM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
According to the TZ3 specs, it will do max single sessions on a 2GB card of:
• 320 x 240 @ 30 fps (4:3) 1Hour
• 640 x 480 @ 30 fps (4:3) 22 minutes
• 848 x 480 @ 30 fps (16:9) 19minutes

It has a 2GB single session file size limit; so, on a 4GB card it might record slightly longer. You could pit in and press record to start it again though.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0701/07...onictz2tz3.asp

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...mc_tz3-review/
Old 01-13-2008, 03:11 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried a Sony Sr100? hard drive camcorder, it would shut of during lateral G loads and over any type of road imperfection.
I bought a Sony DCRHC96 Mini DV, It works great! It came with software that makes it a breeze to download to the computer
and burn DVD or VCD

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Camcorder.html
Old 01-13-2008, 03:15 PM
jpobrien
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Panasonic HDC-SD1 that records to SDHC flash memory, and I have bought a 16 gb card recently. That will hold about 160 min of high def recording. The optical image stabilization does not work (as noted by others here). I've also had problems with keeping it in focus. I am going to try to use manual focus next time out - unfortunately not until April!

I am still trying to figure something that I can do to reduce the vibration of the video. It gets pretty bad at higher speeds.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:34 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is from my sony HC96.
The vids I have here are much higher quality due to the compression on upload.

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...2000sAtTWS.flv
Old 01-13-2008, 03:36 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

What's the issue with the Optical Image stabilizers? They just don't handle the high-speed vibrations well, or? I purchased a Canon HC20 HD camera this winter and was looking forward to getting some good HD video. Sounds like I may need to get something smaller and simpler to leave in the car.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:46 PM
jpobrien
Instructor

I think it is that the optical stablizer just can't keep up with the high frequency vibrations. With it turned on, it is definitely worse (more vibration in the picture).

Get notified of new replies

To In Car Camcorder Questions!

Old 01-13-2008, 04:58 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by linutux
According to the TZ3 specs, it will do max single sessions on a 2GB card of:
• 320 x 240 @ 30 fps (4:3) 1Hour
• 640 x 480 @ 30 fps (4:3) 22 minutes
• 848 x 480 @ 30 fps (16:9) 19minutes

It has a 2GB single session file size limit; so, on a 4GB card it might record slightly longer. You could pit in and press record to start it again though.
OK I was thinking of some of the longer NASA races, 45-50 min races.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:12 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Dmc Tz3

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Tom, I recieved one of these for Christmas, it works great on the street but havn't tried it on the track yet. I'm going to give it a try at Road Atlanta in March and will let you know how it works. Still trying to determine which res. and FPS to use???? Anyone run the DMC TZ3 on the track?? What #s did you use??? JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 01-13-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Z07coupe
Racer

Default O K , Exactly what camcorders do you use?

Great information here, but could you experienced drivers list the camcorders that you have personally used and worked out sucessfully. I've been looking at the Sony HC-28.
Thanks !

Quick Reply: In Car Camcorder Questions!