Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with Harness bar setup for my C6Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 02:23 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me with Harness bar setup for my C6Z06

My Caravaggio race seats should me coming in any day now or weeks

I would like to put in a Harness bar.

The Hardbar without extender does not allow the seats to go all the way back. I know the extender is made for taller people. But I want to be able to put the seats all the way back when I am not at the track. Instead of removing the bar all the time.

1) Should I get the Hardbar with extender? Or is the Brey Krause Harness Bar a good idea but more money?

2) I am planning on getting a pre-cut panel, how would I be able to have this done with the extender? Clean look.

3) Would I need to get Vetteworks/Hardbar Lap belt bar for my new seats?

4) What belts do you recommend for the harness bar, 5 point or 6 point..any name brands..ect

5) Is there anything else I am missing?

Thanks for the input...
Old 01-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I chose the Brey-Krause Bar for my C6Z and it is AWESOME and does not affect seat travel. Looks great, stronger than 10 rhinos, and does not compromise storage space. The $$$ difference is really not significant in the scheme of things.

I chose SaBelt 6 points AND quick release mounts from Northstar Motorsports.

All of this was worth EVERY PENNY!

Good luck in your choice!
Old 01-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Viscerl
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 805Z06
I would like to put in a Harness bar.

Thanks for the input...
I am in the same place. I believe Ive decided on the Brey Krause, as Im 6'4" and I need room for a helmet.

Im only going to put in Schroth Rallye-4 harnesses though, since they have the Anti-Submarining and I only need the protection for AutoX. Most new cars start buzzing if the seatbelts arent closed, and that bugs me, so I almost always but the seatbelt on over the harness. The harness is there to hold me in place whole I'm driving. At an autoX, I'd generally expect never to need more than the stock seatbelts for safety.

Until insurance companies take back out the "surface intended for racing" exception clause, I'm not going to be doing track days.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:28 AM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mako7
I chose the Brey-Krause Bar for my C6Z and it is AWESOME and does not affect seat travel. Looks great, stronger than 10 rhinos, and does not compromise storage space. The $$$ difference is really not significant in the scheme of things.

I chose SaBelt 6 points AND quick release mounts from Northstar Motorsports.

All of this was worth EVERY PENNY!

Good luck in your choice!
Would you have any pictures of it installed. Would like to see how clean it is mounted. I am assuming that it does not need a pre-cut panel?

Also did you install a lab belt bar (mounts to bottom of seats)?

Thanks for your input...
Old 01-13-2008, 01:44 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sharkbar and six point Schroth harness. Seats move all the way back. I had to raise my seat because I sat too low. Dan had pre-cut interior panels available so the stock ones are in a box.

Installation has worked well. Getting into the car is like putting on a tight fitting glove.

Dean
Old 01-14-2008, 11:55 AM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kentz06
Sharkbar and six point Schroth harness. Seats move all the way back. I had to raise my seat because I sat too low. Dan had pre-cut interior panels available so the stock ones are in a box.

Installation has worked well. Getting into the car is like putting on a tight fitting glove.

Dean
Thanks for the input. I guess it might come down to Sharkbar or Brey bar.

In regards to the six point Schroth harness, there are so many to choose from. Any pointers?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Viscerl
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dean
Looks great. Do you think stock seats would go all the way back?

Did you install it yourself or did someone in the Seattle area do it?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-14-2008, 12:27 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my Hardbar... I think with the extenders the seat can travel all the way back. I'm not sure about panel fitment. The extenders are a new part but maybe somebody out there has a picture through a modified panel? Cutting the panels yourself isn't that hard -- it's just a hole saw in the right spot and even if you're off a little you can use a rubber grommet to hide it. And the panels are cheap from Gene Culley @ www.gmpartshouse.com ... I ordered a set from him and cut those up and have the stock onces somewhere out in the garage.

I'm short so I never notice the lack of travel, but I have tall passengers on occassion and they often run the seat into the bar...

People always assume the harness bar is factory stock on my car.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:27 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

We offer pre-cut panels as well, and I can say that not only is the Hardbar the lightest and strongest on the market with (unfortunately) many 100+ MPH crash tests to its' credit, it is also the least expensive (8 pounds, $325). There are many members on ths forum that have walked away from crashes that completely totalled their car and did not have so much as a bruise. We not only consider the structural aspects of this bar, but it has been designed with the consultation of an Orthopedic surgeon to not put your spine in compression in a forward hit. You do not remove it, it remains in the car the entire time.
The extenders do add some weight (3 pounds) but for those few that need it, it is available. I am 6-0 and do not need it.

Last edited by ghoffman; 01-14-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:48 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the Hardbar, Gary engineers these to be Gorilla strong.

I am waiitng for my extenders to come in, when they do, I will post up pics of install.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:40 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the input. I guess it might come down to Sharkbar or Brey bar.

In regards to the six point Schroth harness, there are so many to choose from. Any pointers?

Thanks
I have used several harnesses and decided the Schroth mechanism was the easiest to use (for me). If you plan on using a HANS device get a harness that is specifically designed to work with one. The Schroth HANS harness has a heavier and narrower (2") webing that holds the HANS in place.

Look for a race approved unit (such as FIA) and follow installation instructions closely.

Dean
Old 01-14-2008, 09:48 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Viscerl
Looks great. Do you think stock seats would go all the way back?

Did you install it yourself or did someone in the Seattle area do it?

Thanks,
Chris
I am fairly certain stock seats would also go all the way back.

The SharkBar and harnesses were installed by Colin at Cantrell Motorsports in Kirkland. Seats were installed by Speedware, also of Kirkland. Both did quality work.

Dean
Old 01-14-2008, 10:23 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

I have used several harnesses and decided the Schroth mechanism was the easiest to use (for me). If you plan on using a HANS device get a harness that is specifically designed to work with one. The Schroth HANS harness has a heavier and narrower (2") webing that holds the HANS in place.

Look for a race approved unit (such as FIA) and follow installation instructions closely.

Dean
Thanks...

I think I spent a butt load of money today on all the harness gear and other track goodies..

btw..I went with the Schroth Profi 2 6 point...
Old 01-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Thanks...

I think I spent a butt load of money today on all the harness gear and other track goodies..

btw..I went with the Schroth Profi 2 6 point...
Good call on the 6 point. I don't know if you've made a bar decision yet, but the Hardbar with extenders is a great piece. The Brey Krause is a bit cumbersome, not to mention more $$$.

You should get the lap/harness belt mount to go with the Caravaggios. You will need something to tie those fancy new Schroths to. Because the Caravaggios use the factory seat bases, there is no good place to hook harnesses without some kind of lap mount.

Call anytime if you need advice on that stuff.

-Aaron
Old 01-14-2008, 10:53 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aaron Pfadt
Good call on the 6 point. I don't know if you've made a bar decision yet, but the Hardbar with extenders is a great piece. The Brey Krause is a bit cumbersome, not to mention more $$$.

You should get the lap/harness belt mount to go with the Caravaggios. You will need something to tie those fancy new Schroths to. Because the Caravaggios use the factory seat bases, there is no good place to hook harnesses without some kind of lap mount.

Call anytime if you need advice on that stuff.

-Aaron
Hi Aaron,

Long time no hear, hope the holidays went well. Do you got any good products out, send me a PM

I heard that you have some goodies coming soon

This is what I went with

Brey-Krause harness bar
Bre-Krause camera mount
Brey-Krause Lap Belt Mount Kit

So how does this sound? I don't have a clue how it's going to mount until I start digging into it. Do you think this would work to solve the mounting of all 6 points?

BTW those poly bushings worked out great

Get notified of new replies

To Help me with Harness bar setup for my C6Z06

Quick Reply: Help me with Harness bar setup for my C6Z06