Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrogen as a Tire Gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Nitrogen as a Tire Gas

One of the better links:
http://www.powertank.com/truth.or.hype/
Old 01-14-2008, 01:17 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

That was very interesting; thanks for sharing. I was interested to learn about the FAA(?)'s requirement for a "non-combustable atmosphere" in the tire.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, so I guess I may not bother with nitrogen in my tires anymore!
Old 01-14-2008, 06:00 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As much as we try, this still won't be the end of this argument. We've thought it was over and put to rest more than once here. There are guys here that swear they get "a better ride".

At least this is a good find and the next time it comes up, all we have to do is post the link. Or maybe it should be in one of the stickies.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been through this a bunch of times, do a search ...
Old 01-14-2008, 06:34 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the pro's all use it for naught?

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-14-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:49 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
the pro's all you it for naught?
I could be wrong but from what I've seen, the big teams all have large nitrogen tanks for multiple purposes. I think it's more of a convenience. It's cheap and they use it for air tools as well as tires. No compressors to plug in and maintain as well as portability.

Then on the other hand, would it be totally out of the question for the "pro's" to have fallen for the hype too?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by robvuk
I could be wrong but from what I've seen, the big teams all have large nitrogen tanks for multiple purposes. I think it's more of a convenience. It's cheap and they use it for air tools as well as tires. No compressors to plug in and maintain as well as portability.

Then on the other hand, would it be totally out of the question for the "pro's" to have fallen for the hype too?
I doubt a high dollar team would do it for nothing after all in NASCAR they talk about 1/2 lb. air pressure adjustments which I find hard to believe makes a difference. What do they use in F-1? I know LGM uses for tires and I have seen many others filling at AMLS race. Do I buy into all the hype, no! I bought a smaller tank to take with me but worry about DOT regulations I was going to get a big rental bottle for the house for the intial filling. It is cheap.

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-14-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:42 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The air tools are huge plus at the track.

My paintball gun runs on C02 and will freeze up if, I'm laying down too much fire.

My friend (if he is on my team) or the target, runs on N2. He can fire his 16 paintballs a second, until he runs out of ammo.

Plus is there a cost difference? I don't think so, but could be wrong

Randy
Old 01-14-2008, 08:53 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

As much as we try, this still won't be the end of this argument. We've thought it was over and put to rest more than once here. There are guys here that swear they get "a better ride".

At least this is a good find and the next time it comes up, all we have to do is post the link. Or maybe it should be in one of the stickies.
Better ride because of bigger molecules. What's so hard about that to understand.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:12 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sidney004
That site may look scientific, but lacks some basic knowledge. They dispute Nitrogen filled tires being "dryer" because Nitrogen is "liquid" under pressure. Are they real?

I'm NOT advocating the benefit of a Nitrogen fill, but their the argument against it doesn't make sense.

Since I don't have Nitrogen fill in my tires I can't tell how the "liquid" nitrogen slushing in the tires sounds like. Can anyone enlighten me?

The only and real benefit of the Nitrogen fill is because it contains less moisture.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

What do they use in F-1?
I believe Ferrari uses CO2. It was part of the Spygate scandal.

Last edited by Sidney004; 01-14-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

[QUOTE=Sidney004;1563627265]
What do they use in F-1? /QUOTE]
I believe Ferrari uses CO2. It was part of the Spygate scandal.
missed that thanks!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:27 PM
jpobrien
Instructor

According to Racecar Engineering magazine (Dec 2007), Ferrari was using 50% CO2 and 50% HFC 404A.

This mixture apparently keeps temps down and pressure constant. Speculation is that this is why they were able to run on the softer tires longer.

It's a cool article.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:25 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Look I know we have charts on our aircraft for the difference in temperatures for our tires and gear struts.

I have plenty of tires filled with nitrogen that go low.

We also check tire pressure daily on our aircraft

Last edited by phrogs; 01-15-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by petefias

Since I don't have Nitrogen fill in my tires I can't tell how the "liquid" nitrogen slushing in the tires sounds like. Can anyone enlighten me?

Liquid Nitrogen is very noisy because the tires are a little hard... Nitrogen liquifies at -346 degrees Farenheit at 14 psi and not much warmer at 32 psi like in a tire.. .. 77 K , only 77 above absolute zero.... Kinda nippy...
Old 01-15-2008, 01:11 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jpobrien
According to Racecar Engineering magazine (Dec 2007), Ferrari was using 50% CO2 and 50% HFC 404A.

This mixture apparently keeps temps down and pressure constant. Speculation is that this is why they were able to run on the softer tires longer.

It's a cool article.
That is what I will be running from now on!
Can you post the article? Otherwise, I will have to head down to Barnes & Noble and read it there!

Get notified of new replies

To Nitrogen as a Tire Gas

Old 01-15-2008, 02:10 AM
droq172
Pro

We use nitro in our tires on our Modified cars as well as our West Coast Pro Truck. It is convient to have in the pits to power the tools and add air to the tires. There were slight advantages to Nitro when it came to tire pressures etc... This is from my experience. We get it for free from our fuel sponsor. I never thought of filling the Vette tires with it. To be honest I probably never will.

Last edited by droq172; 01-15-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by petefias
That site may look scientific, but lacks some basic knowledge. They dispute Nitrogen filled tires being "dryer" because Nitrogen is "liquid" under pressure. Are they real?

I'm NOT advocating the benefit of a Nitrogen fill, but their the argument against it doesn't make sense.

The only and real benefit of the Nitrogen fill is because it contains less moisture.
I think he meant that it is in liquid form when he buys it in the tank. It's under much greater pressures in there. I don't know what it is but I'll guess over 3000 psi. It is NOT liquid in your tires.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:29 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

I doubt a high dollar team would do it for nothing after all in NASCAR they talk about 1/2 lb. air pressure adjustments which I find hard to believe makes a difference. What do they use in F-1? I know LGM uses for tires and I have seen many others filling at AMLS race. Do I buy into all the hype, no! I bought a smaller tank to take with me but worry about DOT regulations I was going to get a big rental bottle for the house for the intial filling. It is cheap.
with that 1/2 psi voodoo.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen as a Tire Gas