Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another reason to race a vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:13 PM
1lapRacer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another reason to race a vette

Slightly off topic for the roadracing group but, considering how many of us participate in car clubs this might have an impact if other brands decided to take the same path....

While most car makers welcome their customers to promote their brand, Ford has decided they now own the copyright to your car pictures and logos of your car club according to this article.

http://www.adrants.com/2008/01/ford-...ts-returns.php

It would seem like Ford would notice their stock closed at $6.18 a share and they continually are losing market share. Lets hope Chevy doesn't decide to do the same.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:27 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GM did this many years ago. Making Corvette and other Chevy clubs submit copies of logos etc. for approval. The process was relatively painless unless you didn't comply within the timeframe. They have a much bigger hammer than Ford. /:\
Old 01-14-2008, 08:33 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1lapRacer
Slightly off topic for the roadracing group but, considering how many of us participate in car clubs this might have an impact if other brands decided to take the same path....

While most car makers welcome their customers to promote their brand, Ford has decided they now own the copyright to your car pictures and logos of your car club according to this article.

http://www.adrants.com/2008/01/ford-...ts-returns.php

It would seem like Ford would notice their stock closed at $6.18 a share and they continually are losing market share. Lets hope Chevy doesn't decide to do the same.
they probably wanted a 3% +- royalty from the calender sales. If I was them i would worry about China stamping out fenders for replacement parts at auto-body shops. I have no idea why that is legal.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference is the Chinese could care less about FORD, and FORD can't stop them. IF they could they would have by now.
Lawyers create a reason for their existence. If they weren't picking on Mustang owners, they'd be pulling the wings off butterflies.
Sad event. If I had a print shop, I'd help 'em out.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Companies depend on their patents, trademarks, and brand names and it is not unusual for them to take a stand to defend them. In fact if they don't then they can lose their rights to the marks, ie Aspirin.

My guess is that if the club had put a statement on the front of the calandar to the effect of...Ford and Mustang are registered trademarks of the Ford Motor Company...then their marks would have been protected and they wouldn't have done anything.

Business is business and despite the fact that we own the cars, we don't own the branding rights.

Get notified of new replies

To Another reason to race a vette

Quick Reply: Another reason to race a vette