Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Attending DE Track Event on 2/9/08

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:16 AM
ROC OUT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Newbie Attending DE Track Event on 2/9/08

I bought my 07 Coupe with a Z-51 package with intentions of using the car in track events. The car is still totally stock with no modifications whatsoever. So, on 2/9/08, I will be participating in my very first DE (DE=Driver Education for those who don't know) event with the Austin and Houston Porsche clubs (Houston is sponsoring the event). My question is: Is my car designed for this type of "racing" and does my car have all that is basically needed to participate in this type of event? Do I need to do anything to it in preparation for this event? For instance, do I need to increase tire pressure, or adjust something??? Other suggestions? I sure don't want to damage the engine, suspension, etc. or my car the first time I try this.

The DE will be two days of track driving with an instructor on a closed course with 13 turns at Texas World Speedway in College Station, Texas. I don't know any other Corvette drivers that will be attending this event such that I could ask these questions.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Don
Old 01-16-2008, 11:30 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Read the sticky at the top of this forum. The short version of your car is, Yes, it'll be just fine at the event. Your tires will wear, and the brake pads will wear, and you'll probably need some extra chapstick to take care of the cracked lips from grinning in the wind.

Have fun, and let us know how it goes!
Mike
Old 01-16-2008, 11:43 AM
MRZ5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default event

who, what event you going to? i will be running msr houston that weekend with Nasa

the only thing I would suggest doing at least change out your brake fluid to motul high temp, you will get brake fade, and if you are at msr houston, i can do this for you at track
Old 01-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don, I read your reply to me in the tech section....thanks.

If you need anything else besides what others might suggest, either post here or send me an e-mail sjjohnson@securenet.net

C'ya,

Steve
Old 01-16-2008, 02:06 PM
ROC OUT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MRZ5:

I will be at Texas World Speedway on the 9th of February. Sorry I will not be in Houston but maybe next time. Also, I really appreciate your offer to change out the brake fluid. I will have this done prior to track day.

Miaugi:

Thanks for your input as well and I'll email if in need.

VetteDrmr:

I appreciate you pointing out the Sticky on this subject. Should have noticed it prior to posting but didn't. Will definitely check it out and heed all the advice everyone has given me.

This website and forum is awesome!!

All the best,

Don
Old 01-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Change out the brake fluid, ATE Super Blue is great, bring water, leave ego at the gate, and have a great time. Stay hydrated.

Your car is designed for this. It will be fine.

Bob
Old 01-16-2008, 02:34 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to talk track with a local group, PM me. The Austin Spin Doctors are at your service. We have corvette folks, mini cooper, Subaru, VW (an R32 in fact) and some other folks that meet from time to time and go to the tracks together. It's pretty darn fun, and most of the folks you meet are terrific. Good luck at TWS.

To answer your original question, yes your car has what it needs for the first track event, off the showroom floor pretty much. Go through your tech sheet and make sure all the important stuff is working (oil, brakes, coolant, steering, tires), get a helmet (rent or buy, whatever you think your head is worth) and have fun!

There will come a time when your instructor says "Don't lift!". Listen to them. Heh.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:32 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

A few thoughts from a track newbie. I'm no expert and I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong:

You're going to have a blast. Try to mount an in-car camera. Oh yeah and you might as well start saving up for your track fund now.
    Stay safe and watch out for the other guy.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie Attending DE Track Event on 2/9/08

Quick Reply: Newbie Attending DE Track Event on 2/9/08