Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z - Which clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:06 PM
BADMFR
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default C5Z - Which clutch??

I am hoping to start roadracing this year and need to replace my clutch. Car puts down 435/400 currently and looking for a good replacement. I've been told a Spec stage 2 is a good choice, but looking for something you guys use and is tested/proven. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

stock Z06 clutch fidenza flywheel
Old 01-17-2008, 01:00 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
stock Z06 clutch fidenza flywheel
I will have close to that one day

i like that combo! Will it hold the 435 RWHP ?
Old 01-17-2008, 04:06 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

works well for me no ho;e shots with 459 RWHP I want a 5.5" clutch

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-17-2008 at 04:15 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:06 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The C6Z06 clutch and flywheel assy seems to be working well for several folks. I think that you would have to replace the slave cylinder also. It will hold 505 HP with no problem.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Wasserott
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got a stock Z06 setup and the Heavy Duty Luk pro gold setup with the fidenza flywheel ready for a new home. PM me if interested.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:33 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
The C6Z06 clutch and flywheel assy seems to be working well for several folks. I think that you would have to replace the slave cylinder also. It will hold 505 HP with no problem.

you mean as one of those 'while you are in there' type things, or is there another reason why?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:12 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock C5 or C6 Z06 clutches = JUNK. Drive your car hard enough and you will have the dreaded clutch pedal on the floor syndrom. The pressure plates are known to cause this problem, the self-adusting mechanism is to blame............The C6 or C6 Z06 clutch will be adding significant rotating mass to your driveline, which typically in a race or performance application is not a good idea...

I have been using SPEC 2+'s or 3's in both of my C5 Z06 hot-rods. They make a real nice unit with aluminum flywheel and majoritily aluminum pressure plate that is 22lbs lighter than a stock C5Z06 assy, that drives like stock and tolerates my abuse. Cost for that unit is approx $1100.00, but comes completely balanced as an assy so it is ready to be installed as soon as it arrives. Taking 22 lbs off of the rotating mass is ALOT. Engine will accelerate and deccelerate much quicker. Very noticeable difference.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:24 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I need to work on driving my cars "angry" since I currently run a pair of ZO6 clutches....with no problems to date.

Be careful on the "small" Spec clutches since they make the car nearly undrivable on the street.

My next clutch will probably be a Spec though...
Old 01-17-2008, 12:39 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Mine aren't small , they are full size, just alot lighter...........they really do drive alot like stock, very manageable. Additionally a "freebie" mod in NASA TT.

I think I am about to venture out and do a 5.5 triple soon, less wieght and MOI. ( it ought to be REALLY ANGRY then ). Unfortuneatly it wont drive like stock anymore, but I'll enjoy it for what I use it for.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:39 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Stock C5 or C6 Z06 clutches = JUNK. Drive your car hard enough and you will have the dreaded clutch pedal on the floor syndrom. The pressure plates are known to cause this problem, the self-adusting mechanism is to blame............The C6 or C6 Z06 clutch will be adding significant rotating mass to your driveline, which typically in a race or performance application is not a good idea...

I have been using SPEC 2+'s or 3's in both of my C5 Z06 hot-rods. They make a real nice unit with aluminum flywheel and majoritily aluminum pressure plate that is 22lbs lighter than a stock C5Z06 assy, that drives like stock and tolerates my abuse. Cost for that unit is approx $1100.00, but comes completely balanced as an assy so it is ready to be installed as soon as it arrives. Taking 22 lbs off of the rotating mass is ALOT. Engine will accelerate and deccelerate much quicker. Very noticeable difference.
22 lbs is alot!!!! that equates to like 88 rotating wow!

how much HP/TQ do your hot-rods have ?

so you run a blanket on your bellhousings?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:48 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rustyguns
22 lbs is alot!!!! that equates to like 88 rotating wow!

how much HP/TQ do your hot-rods have ?

so you run a blanket on your bellhousings?
My '03 Autocross car has the 2+, makes 412 /380 something rwhp/tq

MY '02 Roadrace car has a 3, makes 540/475 rwhp/tq.......

No blankets, but maybe I should...haven't been concerned at this point with these clutches. I would be far more concerned with the stock LS clutches after some of the pressure plate disinegration I have seen. Scares the crap out of me. Cracks in the housing , pressure plate springs breaking , pressure plate bolts being loose etc......

One issue with the 2+'s is that sometimes the new clutch engagement hieght is too low when new causing hard shift. This is fixed by using a $300+ McLeod clutch master cylinder with a 1/16 larger bore diameter. This happens 50% of the time for some reason At least you dont have to remove the driveline again if this happens after the clutch install.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Just bought a Spec stage 2 and will be picking up a Fidanza Alu flywheel in the next couple of weeks. Should make for a nice setup.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 PM
XLR8BYU
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I blew up a Spec 2+ with 439 rwhp/ 400 rwtq. It had 10k miles on it.
I recently moved to an LS7/ LS2 Clutch Flywheel combo after some recommndations and I couldn't be happier. Grabs very hard and is a lot easier to drive the the SPEC 2+.
Some people love SPEC and hate LS7 so it depends on who you talk too
Old 01-17-2008, 04:53 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by XLR8BYU
I blew up a Spec 2+ with 439 rwhp/ 400 rwtq. It had 10k miles on it.
I recently moved to an LS7/ LS2 Clutch Flywheel combo after some recommndations and I couldn't be happier. Grabs very hard and is a lot easier to drive the the SPEC 2+.
Some people love SPEC and hate LS7 so it depends on who you talk too
i do not do burnouts or 1/4 mile stuff..strictly road race/commute ( what the vette was designed for )

1)are you a road racer or a 1/4 mile dragster? did it fail when you dumped the clutch?

2)or did it slowly breakdown and finally quit?

3)did you have the light aluminum pressure plate?

this may sound silly but i just do not understand why anyone would drag race any car with an independent rear-end...solid axle is the way to go!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:10 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I don't powershift I just shift as fast as possible with a small blip. If I was racing I would probably abuse it more. Never had it stick on the floor.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:48 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Listen to Raftracer.

I had 2 other clutches in mine and none could take the assault I put on my driveline like the spec3.

I have 409/390 N/A and 572/609 on a 150 shot that I have used on road courses as well as the strip and the street (thanks to liberal One Lap rules) with 335 stickies on the back and never had an issue with the spec.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:52 PM
BADMFR
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER

That's my problem now, the pedal sticks to the floor when I drive it like I own it and it pisses me off...

Originally Posted by Wasserott
I've got a stock Z06 setup and the Heavy Duty Luk pro gold setup with the fidenza flywheel ready for a new home. PM me if interested.
Thanks but no thanks on the lux. Is it the lightweight aluminum flywheel??

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
Just bought a Spec stage 2 and will be picking up a Fidanza Alu flywheel in the next couple of weeks. Should make for a nice setup.
Originally Posted by RogueVette
Listen to Raftracer.

I had 2 other clutches in mine and none could take the assault I put on my driveline like the spec3.

I have 409/390 N/A and 572/609 on a 150 shot that I have used on road courses as well as the strip and the street (thanks to liberal One Lap rules) with 335 stickies on the back and never had an issue with the spec.
Spec 2/3 sounds like the way to go for the money I'm just concerned about the aluminum flywheel. All I "read" about is terrible driveability with the motor accelerating/decellerating too fast and causing surging, etc. Any feedback from anyone that has one?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BADMFR
That's my problem now, the pedal sticks to the floor when I drive it like I own it and it pisses me off...

Thanks but no thanks on the lux. Is it the lightweight aluminum flywheel??

Spec 2/3 sounds like the way to go for the money I'm just concerned about the aluminum flywheel. All I "read" about is terrible drive-ability with the motor accelerating/decelerating too fast and causing surging, etc. Any feedback from anyone that has one?
I got my Fidenza and heard all the same stuff about light weight flywheels. I truthfully let the clutch out twice and was used to it near immediately. It is nice to accelerate faster and decelerate faster when you let off. I really want to get a 5.5 but that is not street-able and not able to slip.

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z - Which clutch??

Quick Reply: C5Z - Which clutch??