Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross in SW Florida

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:11 AM
Daffy
Florida turtle advocate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Default Autocross in SW Florida

It seems there are nothing but waxers here
Old 01-22-2008, 11:16 AM
B-ras
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't run with this club yet, but I've heard good things about the facility in Ft. Meyers: http://www.gulfcoastautocrossers.com/

You can also come over to the Right coast for some events: http://www.erscc.com/
Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Let me suggest joining the Corvettes of Naples (www.corvettesofnaplesfl.com) and then get with them to find a site in that area to hold events.
Some of us from the NE corner of the state will be glad to help with equipment and staff the first weekend or two. We in North Florida Corvette Association would love to see some other NCCC Clubs put on events in the Florida Region.

Keep an eye on the website for other events in Florida www.ncccsouth.com/Events/events

and get with Florida Corvette Racing Club for events up near Tampa
http://www.floridacorvetteracing.com
Old 01-22-2008, 02:19 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

I think you'll find that most car clubs are primarily interested in waxing and socializing, with some drag racing thrown into the mix. Percentage wise very few get involved with autocross or tracking their cars.

Around here the NCCC club brags about their "autocross" weekend, once a year, $20 for 2 runs, 7 different courses in one weekend. Then they're done for the year. I'm the only member in our local Vette club that autocrosses, although there are a few members that run their vettes at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson.

Point being, go to where the racing is! I run with the local BMW, Honda S2000, and Porsche clubs, because they run fun events throughout the year. I imagine there are at least a few clubs fairly close to you; check them out and go have some fun!

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Daffy
Florida turtle advocate
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I guess I got spoiled in the Carolinas.I plan to run with my club up there this year but it would be fun to get some seat time in down here ..Thanks for the info guys

Last edited by Daffy; 01-24-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Z1NONLY
Advanced

How's this for an autocross venue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fBUmur-gzo

Here's one from outside the car. It might give you a better idea of the area we use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTYiWbtwvhQ

I am a GCAC member. Our next event will be 2/2 (test and tune / novice school) and 2/3 (points event, mile long course)

http://www.gulfcoastautocrossers.com/

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Daffy
Florida turtle advocate
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Default Looks Great

I'll be there for the March one...Looks like a blast but I can't skip the Super bowl for the February one although I may drive down and check it out on Saturday..
Old 01-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Z1NONLY
Advanced

Originally Posted by Daffy
I'll be there for the March one...Looks like a blast but I can't skip the Super bowl for the February one although I may drive down and check it out on Saturday..
Saturday = More seat time / runs.

The test and tune course is shorter than sunday's full course, but even our "short" test and tune course is a high 30 to mid 40 sec course, depending on driver, car, and setup.

You sound like you have done this before, but if you want the most seat time, try the novice school. (it's on the other half of the runway)

Hope you can make it next Saturday! (2/2)
Old 01-26-2008, 09:27 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you can't find a Corvette clubs hosting autocrosses, look for a Ford SVT, BMW, or Miata clubs. You can also check http://www.motorsportreg.com/ for events near you.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:57 PM
DonoZ06
Advanced

Great driving Z1NONLY! I think Daffy is going to convince me to bring down "The Mistress" for some time on your course. I love that chase clip, now that's the way to film it. The interior shots were great also...fast.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Z1NONLY
Advanced

Originally Posted by DonoZ06
Great driving Z1NONLY! I think Daffy is going to convince me to bring down "The Mistress" for some time on your course. I love that chase clip, now that's the way to film it. The interior shots were great also...fast.
Thanks.

I almost thought there was no way you could be serious about coming down because your sig has you in NC. (???) But then I realized that the wife and I have driven to, and on, the "tail of the dragon" 3 years in a row.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:14 AM
Daffy
Florida turtle advocate
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
How's this for an autocross venue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fBUmur-gzo

Here's one from outside the car. It might give you a better idea of the area we use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTYiWbtwvhQ

I am a GCAC member. Our next event will be 2/2 (test and tune / novice school) and 2/3 (points event, mile long course)

http://www.gulfcoastautocrossers.com/

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Checked the place out Sunday...Wow....I can't wait to try it out...GCAC seems to have it together on organization as well...Nice to meet you Mike and thanks for telling me about this..
Old 02-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Z1NONLY
Advanced

Originally Posted by Daffy
Checked the place out Sunday...Wow....I can't wait to try it out...GCAC seems to have it together on organization as well...Nice to meet you Mike and thanks for telling me about this..

No problem.

I guess I will have my hands full next month with you and your Vette in BSP.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Advanced

I'm also a GCAC member

Not really a competitor yet though

I'm on my 3rd event ever

Old 02-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Z1NONLY
Advanced

Originally Posted by 73339
I'm also a GCAC member

Not really a competitor yet though

I'm on my 3rd event ever

I remember seeing your Vette there! I called the wife to tell her about your car when I first saw it. (She's a Vette girl. Her dad has a 78' and an 05')
Old 02-07-2008, 05:17 AM
samc
Burning Brakes

hi daffy - definitely keep you eyes on www.floridacorvetteracing.com - i know we don;t have any events until may listed, and those are all the way up in brooksville, but we are working on trying to get back to the fairgrounds in tampa, and possibly at a location in bradenton. if things solidify i'll update the schedule on the web site.

my dad has been scouting locations in charlotte county as well, nothing promising though . back when i lived there we could have put on an autocross right on the streets of rotonda, there were no houses just the roads!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Z1NONLY
Advanced

Originally Posted by samc
hi daffy - definitely keep you eyes on www.floridacorvetteracing.com - i know we don;t have any events until may listed, and those are all the way up in brooksville, but we are working on trying to get back to the fairgrounds in tampa, and possibly at a location in bradenton. if things solidify i'll update the schedule on the web site.

my dad has been scouting locations in charlotte county as well, nothing promising though . back when i lived there we could have put on an autocross right on the streets of rotonda, there were no houses just the roads!
I have ran there too. (with the Corvette club) Here is a video of that venue. The download made spots in the vid choppy (looks like momentary bursts of speed) but it still gives you a good idea of the venue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctiHhvGeGKw

It's is my brother and me practicing for the Subaru Challenge in his STi.

BTW, This is the fastest autocross course I have ever been on. ( we both got deep into 4th)

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 02-07-2008 at 06:57 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross in SW Florida

Old 02-07-2008, 07:27 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

It doesn't get much better than SW Florida. I've lived in several parts of the country and have never seen as much activity as in this area. Gulf Coast is one of the best solo programs in the country. Homestead and Sebring are about 2 hours away. Chin Motorsports has a great program at both those tracks.

If you can't find a place to destroy a set of tires in SW Florida you aren't looking. Next weekend we have a two day event at Homestead.

Also, if your in the Naples area stop by at the Breakfast Club on Saturday. We'll have a half dozen race cars there just to look at. email for this group is evergladestech@yahoo.com

I can actually run a event every weekend here in SW Florida. The real problem is just getting tired of driving fast all the time. Ok - and buying new brakes and tires on a regular basis.

Richard Newton

Autocross Performance Handbook

Corvette C5 Performance Projects: 1997-2004
Old 02-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by samc

Bradenton would be very nice . The other locations would be decent too.

If you get those going try to get them on the days that gulf coast isn't hosting and event.

Then I could auto-x every weekend
Old 02-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rfn026
It doesn't get much better than SW Florida. I've lived in several parts of the country and have never seen as much activity as in this area. Gulf Coast is one of the best solo programs in the country. Homestead and Sebring are about 2 hours away. Chin Motorsports has a great program at both those tracks.

If you can't find a place to destroy a set of tires in SW Florida you aren't looking. Next weekend we have a two day event at Homestead.

Also, if your in the Naples area stop by at the Breakfast Club on Saturday. We'll have a half dozen race cars there just to look at. email for this group is evergladestech@yahoo.com

I can actually run a event every weekend here in SW Florida. The real problem is just getting tired of driving fast all the time. Ok - and buying new brakes and tires on a regular basis.

Richard Newton

Autocross Performance Handbook

Corvette C5 Performance Projects: 1997-2004
Chin motorsports is new to me. I'm in the age requirements

Quick Reply: Autocross in SW Florida