Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you a sissy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Are you a sissy?

managed situations are for sissies and conformists. about as exiciting as an enema induced by your grandmother. i like the variability of an unencumbered approach

quote from the thread

drop by and leave an opinion if you like.

link http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1921075

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-23-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:50 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to use that quote with the wife. Ever sence we got married, I have to plan everything ahead by 2 weeks. It's getting old because I like live one day at a time.

Randy
Old 01-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
I'm going to use that quote with the wife. Ever sence we got married, I have to plan everything ahead by 2 weeks. It's getting old because I like live one day at a time.

Randy
Wow, Randy. It's like we're living parallel lives.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:51 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Newly declared sissy here!

Loved his response to your posts - probably took him 2 hours with a thesaurus to come up with that quote.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

If I had a passenger seat and rode him around I think he would soil himself
Old 01-23-2008, 03:08 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Count me as a sissy.. The thought of driving at the levels I do on the track while on the street with ambulances far away, (if one even gets called) family dogs, unexpecting drivers, or blind corners without workers scares the crap out of me.

John, I had a cop once approach me at a 24-hour autocross and accuse me of street racing a while before.. I chatted with him and invited him for a run, he climbed in the car with me, and after a 30-second ride through a parking lot I had to unbuckle him and take his helmet off for him because his hands were shaking so bad... I would bet that the gentleman in the other thread would come off way worse after a ride on a track..

Jon K
(sissies unite!)
Old 01-23-2008, 03:10 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I like to plan as much as possible. But there are many times it just a spur of the moment decisions.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:32 PM
racerjon1
Racer

I think that to a point, his comment does have some merit, just not in the context he is putting it into.

Racing by nature isn't "managed" we have to deal with the decisions of other racers trying to pass us or keep us behind, we have changing conditions of both surface and traffic, in solo events you have those unknowns created by inputs - both intentional and unintentional.

However, to denonce racing as for "sissies" when managed without as much safety as you can get is nutty IMHO.

Unfortunately its a perverse mindset that dominates much of the "street racing" crowd I come across. I have been active in the local SCCA in trying to offer an alternative but from a certain percent of the people who street race and have done autocrossing, I hear, "Autocrossings ok, but it's not really fun cause there is no danger, racing when you might get thrown in jail is a rush"

I usually tell them they are not racing in the right place or don't understand racing, but it gets blown off. To go to that thread's arguments about more tracks, less street racing, is a bit short sited in some cases.. what tracks do is make sure everyone does have a chance to compete legally.

I heard a saying once, "Locks keep honest people honest, but dishonest people are going to get through them." I think for us, tracks, drag strips and autocrosses are the locks, but those that get their jollies breaking locks are going to continue to do so.

Jon K
Old 01-23-2008, 03:41 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by racerjon1
I heard a saying once, "Locks keep honest people honest, but dishonest people are going to get through them." I think for us, tracks, drag strips and autocrosses are the locks, but those that get their jollies breaking locks are going to continue to do so.

Jon K
It's gonna happen. To me the problem is that they equate those of us who do it legally with those that don't. The illegal (dangerous, stupid, whatever) ones are the ones that get all the media attention. When was the last time any of us saw an HPDE or an auto-x get any positive air time compared to traffic accidents?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:39 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

“Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands.”
“The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.”
Said Jeff Cooper
Old 01-23-2008, 04:44 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Douglas MacArthur said
"There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity."
Old 01-23-2008, 04:44 PM
racerjon1
Racer

True, I do worry about the negative attention it recieves coming down on those of us that use our vehicles in a mature manner.

Of course there is good publicity, but it's focuses at "us" which is preaching to the choir.

I worry about the day when the law wording changes from "equipped FOR racing on the street" to "equipped for racing" and what it will do to those of use with modifications for track days and autocross. I also think that's why its very important that we do set good examples for those outside of our cummunity.

One Lap of America is one of the places I try to set the example, I am on extra good behavior when in a car "disguised as a racecar" including driving at or close to the speed limit. I have also spoke at schools, bringing my racecars and showroom stock car to use as a teaching tool about car safety ranging from seat belts to responsible use of what can be a recreational vehicle.

Jon K
Old 01-23-2008, 04:49 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by jwt1603
When was the last time any of us saw an HPDE or an auto-x get any positive air time compared to traffic accidents?

In all the years that the BMW CCA (now in conjunction with TireRack) have been running the Street Survival School for kids, I can count on one hand the number of times that program has received positive mainstream (ie CNN, USA Today, etc) media attention.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:58 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 96GS#007

In all the years that the BMW CCA (now in conjunction with TireRack) have been running the Street Survival School for kids, I can count on one hand the number of times that program has received positive mainstream (ie CNN, USA Today, etc) media attention.
You may have to make the aware of it they may do it.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:44 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I made my comments

And the guy I was speaking of....a forum member....
Old 01-23-2008, 07:35 PM
GRINS
Advanced

Can risk be eliminated? No! Can risk be "managed"? Yes, and it's wise to do so. "After you pill the pin, Mr. Hand Grenade is no longer your friend".
Old 01-23-2008, 07:59 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To me the obvious lure of illegal/questionable street driving is that it's inexpensive compared to the legal way and more convenient. You can go out for a drive any time of day any day of the year; and unless you're running from the police, you're insured by the standard auto policy.

Get notified of new replies

To Are you a sissy?

Old 01-23-2008, 08:15 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
To me the obvious lure of illegal/questionable street driving is that it's inexpensive compared to the legal way and more convenient. You can go out for a drive any time of day any day of the year; and unless you're running from the police, you're insured by the standard auto policy.
I can see the price thing for track days, especially in the younger group. SeatTime is $175 for a day, $225 with an instructor and that's as inexpensive as I can make it.. I do feel bad for those in the younger generation that can't quite afford it.

For the insurance.. this is something that puzzles me. We hear stories of policies being cancled if you put your car on a "surface designed for racing" but I can go crash my car on the street and they don't say a word.. very counter-intuitive I would think.

Jon K
Old 01-23-2008, 08:19 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
In the other thread someone mentioned that all the youngsters just want to go straight. Plenty of drag strips offer $10 Test & Tune nights, some a couple nights of the week and on at least one weekend night
Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
If I had a passenger seat and rode him around I think he would soil himself
Hell.John, invite him over. I will take him and scare the crap out of him. Garanteed.

Frank Gonzalez

Quick Reply: Are you a sissy?