Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harness bar help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:17 PM
blaplant
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default harness bar help

i was wondering if anyone has made their own harness bar that just connects to the stock seat belt mounting location and droped down a litle with flange then connected to the bar it self? if so would this be a good selt up. Is it possible to be made instead of spending 350 for one since i plan on putting in a roll cage in 5 months. THANKS
Old 01-25-2008, 02:38 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

yup took me longer to remove the ecu to protect it while welding than to do the bar. the bar will not rotate because the mounting plate is small and angled to match the B-piller angle so it is trapped by the angles. You can see the area where I welded another nut and threaded the plate for overkill in mounting the OEM shoulder belt. I forget the thread pitch of the b-piller but it was common. I just used what I had around the garage which was 1.75" 120 wall DOM tube. You can see the floor mount for the lap belts and 6pt submarines.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

5 months I might just run seat belts if I was 100% sure I was doing it.

on the other hand you can find used one and chances are you will not have a problem selling it. I know I help customers sell/buy around 6 already.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:47 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is that lap belt bar?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:23 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 95jersey
What is that lap belt bar?
I hate factory seats for traking and this was an old set-up I needed for a last minute trackday . That is the lap belt bar. I also hate seatbelts connected ultimately to 4 flimsy bolts via the seats. But that is how GM did it OEM , so I just bolted angle iron to the stock bolts and ran the laps and sub from this bar. It is far from ideal which is proper cage and seat connected to the cage. I have a proper setup in my race car. IMO for a dual use car one should run a 4 pt cage with harness bar for the shoulders and weld a plate to the tunnel for the right hip lap anchor. Use the OE left hip anchor as is. Weld in a proper sub bar from the tunnel to the sill for 6pts. Or mount the sub on a custom seatframe bolted to the 4 factory bolts. I think harbard may make a seat frame sub ready and lap ready but it all relys on the 4 OEM bolts.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I'm selling mine from my convertible. It should work in a coupe I'd think:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1918200
Old 01-25-2008, 08:45 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

You could buy a B-K bar and sell it later. The difference would probably be less than what you would have invested in a home-made bar. I made my own for my GS and would not do it again. You might get lucky and see a used B-K for sale and save even more.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:02 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
You could buy a B-K bar and sell it later. The difference would probably be less than what you would have invested in a home-made bar. I made my own for my GS and would not do it again. You might get lucky and see a used B-K for sale and save even more.
purchased a B-K bar used and sold it for almost what i paid for it after using it 3 years.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:20 AM
SuperSpeed
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

how well does the harness work with the stock seats? i noticed you dont have the sport seats any problems with that and the harness working?
Old 01-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by SuperSpeed
how well does the harness work with the stock seats? i noticed you dont have the sport seats any problems with that and the harness working?
IMHO it is not a good idea to have a harness setup that goes around the outside of the seat. Harness can easily slide off your shoulders in this situation.

Many guys use sterum straps to elleviate the shoulder problem, but talking to a friend that races sprint cars he said they had issues with sternum straps crushing esophagus on hard impacts.

I do know that certain HPDEs are not allowing the setup either so make sure you check with each organization prior to going.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:02 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
IMHO it is not a good idea to have a harness setup that goes around the outside of the seat. Harness can easily slide off your shoulders in this situation.

Many guys use sterum straps to elleviate the shoulder problem, but talking to a friend that races sprint cars he said they had issues with sternum straps crushing esophagus on hard impacts.

I do know that certain HPDEs are not allowing the setup either so make sure you check with each organization prior to going.

100% agree. Do not use harness with stock seats. You really need the pass through of the sport seat as a minimum. I actually use a sparco corsa and it takes abotu 30 mins to swap seats. The problem is storage. I wonder if you could buy those leather sport seat covers on fleebay and then have a upholstry guy put those on your stock seats and cut the sport seat harness hole out of the stock seats? You would then have nearly 100% of the stock ease of use. Then the hot ticket would be to find a way to put sidenets in the car for trackdays. That would make up for the crappy modified stock seat and perhaps make you safer than even a sparco seat without nets. You would have to find a way to tie sidenets into the firewall through the dash. My thinking is it would be hard to find a way back there without a complete dash removal to mount sidenet anchors = a big pain? How hard is it to remove the dash?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
100% agree. Do not use harness with stock seats. You really need the pass through of the sport seat as a minimum. I actually use a sparco corsa and it takes abotu 30 mins to swap seats. The problem is storage. I wonder if you could buy those leather sport seat covers on fleebay and then have a upholstry guy put those on your stock seats and cut the sport seat harness hole out of the stock seats? You would then have nearly 100% of the stock ease of use. Then the hot ticket would be to find a way to put sidenets in the car for trackdays. That would make up for the crappy modified stock seat and perhaps make you safer than even a sparco seat without nets. You would have to find a way to tie sidenets into the firewall through the dash. My thinking is it would be hard to find a way back there without a complete dash removal to mount sidenet anchors = a big pain? How hard is it to remove the dash?

I would look for someone selling their old sport seat covers when they get replaced with new ECS 100% leather Covers (I know cheap advertisement )

you would need to add the foam and you are set to go. We have chaned over many stock seats to sport seats.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:25 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=dash+removal

This thread shows a c5 dash apart. If you could mount the left wire rope sling in this picture to the forward a-piller support steel (dashbar) just an inch or two left and right of the steering wheel and then lay the other end of the exposed sling over the dash pad you would have a great place to tie in right and left sidenets. When you disconnected the nets for street driving all you would see is the small wire loops. I think that would be about as clean as you could get. Sidenets are proven to increase driver safety regardless of seat used. In fact sidenets make up for some bad seat/harness installs.

Get notified of new replies

To harness bar help

Quick Reply: harness bar help