Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:06 PM
rat828
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross questions

Going to my first autocross this Sunday and just had a few questions for people with experience in racing. I drive an A6, shall I leave it in S or shall I paddle it myself? I drive using paddles everyday, and to learn the limits of my car in everyday driving, I figured I should put it in paddles. Also, I won't be stuck in a higher gear when heading into a corner.

A question about downshifting (I haven't ever had a DD which was a manual) but when I downshift into 1st while I'm accelerating, the car has a violent jerking to it and I don't do it again. Should you never accelerate while downshifting? what about at higher gears like going from 6th to 5th on a freeway? For autocrossing, should I even downshift before 1st gear before entering a corner (if the speed is slow enough) or would I just plow through it in 2nd? Thanks in advance for helping this beginner. I'm looking forward to this autoX, not so much the wear/tear on tires/brakes.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Auto cross!

Just remember, auto crossing is considered racing and your insurance company will not cover the car. I hate to put a damper on your fun but unless you have a deal with your insurance company, I would be very careful. Remember, SH.. happens!
Old 01-29-2008, 01:20 PM
mike72
Pro

use the paddles, you probably won't ever get out of 2nd gear but you have the ability to change if needed in paddle mode. It is very unlikely you will tear something up autocrossing since the speeds will probably not exceed 60 to 80 mph and most of them are run in wide open parking lots. Have fun with your car and drive it like it was built for. Congratulations on not having a garage queen.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:26 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by rat828
Going to my first autocross this Sunday and just had a few questions for people with experience in racing. I drive an A6, shall I leave it in S or shall I paddle it myself? I drive using paddles everyday, and to learn the limits of my car in everyday driving, I figured I should put it in paddles. Also, I won't be stuck in a higher gear when heading into a corner.

A question about downshifting (I haven't ever had a DD which was a manual) but when I downshift into 1st while I'm accelerating, the car has a violent jerking to it and I don't do it again. Should you never accelerate while downshifting? what about at higher gears like going from 6th to 5th on a freeway? For autocrossing, should I even downshift before 1st gear before entering a corner (if the speed is slow enough) or would I just plow through it in 2nd? Thanks in advance for helping this beginner. I'm looking forward to this autoX, not so much the wear/tear on tires/brakes.
If your car had a violent reaction to the downshift it means that you were going to fast for the shift to take place smoothly. With a manual tranmission you would "blip" the throttle to rev match prior to the shift to prevent the reaction that you experienced. The car was going faster than what the transmission was prepared for and the result was an abrupt slowdown caused by the drive line actually braking for you.

In an autocross you will usually be running in first, second and third gear and smoothness and corner execution should be your primary focus. Rules for turning should be slow in, fast off. Try braking a little sooner than what you think is necessary. This will allow you to set up for the turn better and allow you to hit the apex and accelerate out of the turn. Running hard and diving in to the turn will just make you miss the apex and linger in the turn (off the throttle) longer which will result in slower times and and affect you for the next turn as well if you get "behind the car."

I'd also recommend that you stop over in the Autocrossing and Roadracing section of the forum:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

There are some unbelievably talented folks over there up to and including some professional race drivers that are very willing to answer questions. There is also a great sticky thread at the top of the page with some first time driver questions and answers.

Last edited by talon90; 01-29-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:36 PM
rat828
Racer

Originally Posted by talon90
If your car had a violent reaction to the downshift it means that you were going to fast for the shift to take place smoothly. With a manual tranmission you would "blip" the throttle to rev match prior to the shift to prevent the reaction that you experienced. The car was going faster than what the transmission was prepared for and the result was an abrupt slowdown caused by the drive line actually braking for you.

In an autocross you will usually be running in first, second and third gear and smoothness and corner execution should be your primary focus. Rules for turning should be slow in, fast off. Try braking a little sooner than what you think is necessary. This will allow you to set up for the turn better and allow you to hit the apex and accelerate out of the turn. Running hard and diving in to the turn will just make you miss the apex and linger in the turn (off the throttle) longer which will result in slower times and and affect you for the next turn as well if you get "behind the car."
Hmm, the thing is, say I pull to a stop light. If i downshift to 1st, right as I'm accelerating (light turns green or I leave the line from a stop) it'll shake pretty violently even though I'm not travelling fast at all. The first time it happened, I thought i broke something. Now I just downshift when I'm totally stopped. Was just wondering if you are never supposed to downshift while your foot is on the accelerator.

For example, what would I do in the following situation on the autox, going on a straight at 50mph or so, see a corner coming up which I know I will need to turn at less than 30mph. Do I
A
1) Shift to 1st + brake at the same time
2) Hit apex, accelerate and shift to 2nd
OR B
1)Stay in 2nd and brake
2) hit apex and accelerate

As far as the insurance goes, I didn't know about that, but this is in a wide open stadium parking lot with cones so I doubt i'll hit anything (crosses fingers). I am a little more worried after you said that though...
Old 01-29-2008, 02:04 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Hmm, the thing is, say I pull to a stop light. If i downshift to 1st, right as I'm accelerating (light turns green or I leave the line from a stop) it'll shake pretty violently even though I'm not travelling fast at all. The first time it happened, I thought i broke something. Now I just downshift when I'm totally stopped. Was just wondering if you are never supposed to downshift while your foot is on the accelerator.

For example, what would I do in the following situation on the autox, going on a straight at 50mph or so, see a corner coming up which I know I will need to turn at less than 30mph. Do I
A
OR B
1)Stay in 2nd and brake

As far as the insurance goes, I didn't know about that, but this is in a wide open stadium parking lot with cones so I doubt i'll hit anything (crosses fingers). I am a little more worried after you said that though...
Well, I drive a manual transmission car so my advice may not be the best. I'm working only from theory about the auto transmission. First, keep these speeds in mind from the owners manual:

To prevent damage to the powertrain, Manual
Paddle downshifts to a lower gear cannot be done
above certain speeds. The maximum speed
allowed for downshifting of gears one (1) through
fourth (4) are:
• Into Fourth (4) gear over 168 mph (270 km/h)
• Into Third (3) gear over 124 mph (200 km/h)
• Into Second (2) gear over 81 mph (130 km/h)
• Into First (1) gear over 45 mph (72 km/h).

You want to be shifting to first on deceleration, not on acceleration. In that case get off the gas and request the downshift, then accelerate.

For the autocross you want to keep the RPM's up in the powerband so that you have the available torque to accelerate on demand. If you are coming to a corner at 50 and need to take it at 30 I believe that I would stay in second. Most of the course can be run in second and third so I'd go with option B as listed.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Baker
Just remember, auto crossing is considered racing and your insurance company will not cover the car. I hate to put a damper on your fun but unless you have a deal with your insurance company, I would be very careful. Remember, SH.. happens!
MAN! If THAT's not raining on someone's parade, I don't know what is! That's not even what the OP asked about. Do you knwo how hard it is to damage a car during autox?? Of course something CAN happen, but it's not too likely.

I recomend suing the paddles and shifting manually, only when you are going in a straight line to avoid stepping out the rear. Use 3rd gear mostly to reduce tq to the rear tires that cause excessive spinning.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:10 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

A
OR B
1)Stay in 2nd and brake

Trust me, my friend, it CAN BE DONE. We're talking Qualcomm, and I watched a brand new Corvette (a few years back) come out of the chute, accelerate hard, wag one way, wiggle the other and then slam right into the concrete wall. So slammed that it took a wrecker to peel it off. Just be careful out there....because otherwise, it is a great course to learn on and great teachers, too.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
MAN! If THAT's not raining on someone's parade, I don't know what is! That's not even what the OP asked about. Do you knwo how hard it is to damage a car during autox?? Of course something CAN happen, but it's not too likely.

I recomend suing the paddles and shifting manually, only when you are going in a straight line to avoid stepping out the rear. Use 3rd gear mostly to reduce tq to the rear tires that cause excessive spinning.
It is not too hard at all. Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4dqYKbnPCQ

Eddie Griffin managed to total an Enzo on an auto-x course.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:49 PM
nikic6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I autocross my C-6 auto by putting the shifter in sports mode and start out in second gear and leave it there. You will be too active steering to be concerned with shifting.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:56 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

i was at the auto X held in the corvette plant parking lot when a driver got out of control and hit a member of the corvette club that was putting on the event. that is why the auto X is now held at the drag strip. i have been auto Xing since the 60s and have seen it all,cars hitting light poles,people,other cars and even catching on fire,that was mine back in 1964 when the carb flooded and put gasoline on the intake manifold. lesson always have a fire extinguisher with you.

Last edited by PAmotorman; 01-30-2008 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:56 PM
SoCalPhil
Instructor

Default Cool

What Time, Maybe I'll Come Watch.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:23 PM
rat828
Racer

Originally Posted by SoCalPhil
What Time, Maybe I'll Come Watch.
Its 7:30 arrival time at Qualcomm stadium.

And i'm kinda of getting worried about all these warnings. I'll be even more cautious now but I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:35 PM
sethracer
Intermediate

Default Keep your head together

Go as fast as you feel comfortable. You don't have to contend for Fast-time-of-day - at least not yet. With an automatic, just put it in second and left foot brake your way around - at that comfortable speed. Your Vette has plenty of torque. And leave the ESC and traction control on. At least at first. My brother had never driven my C6 and I let him run a few runs at a local event. With traction control/ECS on he did fine. On his last run, I told him "Now you have to drive!" and turned the ECS/TC off. He spun it in the third corner - at a low speed. ANd came back grinning ear to ear. Neither you, nor your buddies, can expect to go fast the first time out. This marks my 40th year autocrossing, and I still learn things every time!
Old 01-29-2008, 04:50 PM
From C6ZO62C8
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

usually auto-x tracks are cones only on a large area, even if you spin you should be ok, but if there are dangers in the track, take it slow, learn the track and increase your speed, don't be unsafe, but you can take your car to the limits there a lot safer than the road, much better way to learn the limits of your vehicle
Old 01-29-2008, 05:09 PM
lurtonk
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And i'm kinda of getting worried about all these warnings. I'll be even more cautious now but I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.
Remember drag racing on the street will more than likely void your insurance also, so go for it.

I have been autoxing for 8 years and yes I have seen some cars damaged but I have seen a lot more damage on the streets.

I am of the opinion that autox should replace drivers education. There is no better way to understanding the capabilities of your vehichle than a few spins around an autox course.

Most teenagers don't have a clue how fast mom's SUV stops or turns and that is why they have a lot of accidents.

Remember that "stock" autox cars have to be licensed to drive on the street which means in most states they have to have insurance to get a tag.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:26 PM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on down you'll love it, going on my 3rd year of autoX with the c6
I have been autox for 25 years, and have never had a problem
I'll be there, and thire are several other c6s will be there with alot of autox time also. Just ask and you will get all the help you need.
I'll be running in the first group.
Richard

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross questions

Old 01-29-2008, 07:05 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Start in 1st, shift to second and leave it there. It's that easy. Don't down shift until you stop past the finish line.

Have fun.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Baker
Auto X is not considered racing ...

but it is a "timed event" which is what you will find addressed in most insurance policies.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:20 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just an FYI, because of the super bowl, the race is on Saturday and Sunday is a practice. You need to sign up ahead of time for the practice if you have not already. We will be down on Sat.

p.s. if this is your first time, put the car in 2nd gear and leave it. Work on finding your way around the course, that will be more than enough for you to deal with.

Quick Reply: Autocross questions