Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Road Cage

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:56 PM
C5SCCA
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Full Road Cage

Anyone know where or how much it would cost me to put a full cage in a C5 coupe for road racing in or around Oklahoma? I am going to be building a street/track day toy very soon (not built to any specs, just a fun toy) meaning everything not essential will be stripped. I just do not know anyone close that builds full cages. Help?
Old 02-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

FWIW my research came back with $4000 to $6000+ for a full SCCA T1 spec cage. Before we got the Panoz, my father and I were strongly considering converting my Corvette to T1 specs and taking it off the street. We were going to trailer the car up to Phoenix performance in PA.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:13 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We would be happy to quote and build a cage for you. But we are in Buffalo, MN

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Old 02-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

It might be easier just buy a racecar.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:48 PM
C5SCCA
Pro

Thanks for the responses. I still want the car to be street legal, which is one of the problems. I am not wealthy enough to go to a track every weekend so it would be nice to just be able to putter around town.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by C5SCCA
I still want the car to be street legal,
Lot of us get caught up in that. It really does turn into a headache.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:50 PM
C5SCCA
Pro

Originally Posted by Jason
How so?
Old 02-01-2008, 06:03 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
We would be happy to quote and build a cage for you. But we are in Buffalo, MN

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
worth the trip and a decent price with years of experience and knowledge.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Z07coupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope to be heading from Kansas City to Chaska, MN, around the 3rd week of March (estimated) to pick my car and trailer. It may work out where I can tow your car (and your trailer) from KC to DRM, and drop it. Then tow my rig back. PM me if interested.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:02 PM
toolman44092
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason
I've wondered the same thing. I've heard that some insurance companies won't allow you to have a full cage in a street car. Any experience with this?
Old 02-01-2008, 07:24 PM
C5SCCA
Pro

Originally Posted by toolman44092
I've wondered the same thing. I've heard that some insurance companies won't allow you to have a full cage in a street car. Any experience with this?
I have never heard the insurance thing before...That is why I wanted to ask. I would love to stick with the Corvette, but building a kit car may be the only option...
Old 02-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

The problem with a cage an the street is that you won't be wearing a helmet. That bar behind the top of the windshield would do a number on your head is you hit it and it pretty close
Old 02-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Trying to keep a car on the street and on the track always involves compromise. There comes a point where you can no longer compromise (safety). A full cage would be that point for me. Even a 4pt bar in my convertible was a pretty big pain in the butt from a street perspective.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

If you want a pre packaged install yourself cage here is the company I got my roll bar from: http://www.kirkracing.com/catologue.htm

They have both a bolt in cage and a weld in cage for C5s.

Bill
Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07coupe
I hope to be heading from Kansas City to Chaska, MN, around the 3rd week of March (estimated) to pick my car and trailer. It may work out where I can tow your car (and your trailer) from KC to DRM, and drop it. Then tow my rig back. PM me if interested.
We are about 30 miles away from Chaska!!! Two roads and you are here, about 6 stop signs. Lot's of horses, farms, and cows inbetween

Randy
Old 02-02-2008, 07:56 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Well how into the road racing are you gona get? HPDE's or wheel to wheel raceing? That is what is gona dictate the cage that you need in the car. If you just want some added protection then you could go with a simple 6 point with removable door bars. that gives you the hoop and the back supports and then when your not racing you pull the door bars out. and it's not bad at all for the street. Granted when you get pulled over for something cops do give you a funny look when the see a roll bar in your car. and well my experiance from driving my car back from FL the Roll bar and Racing seats with 6 point harnesses. Grantd my cars Bar setup is not gona be legal to a major sactioned Raceing series. If i was gona get into that you just as well face it your car is gona be a race car then and not a driver, But with what i have i can still autoCross and Do HPDE and Some Road Race series that require a roll bar setup. and well it gives me that little piece of mind when im out there if something was to happen. And as for street driving which i admit i don't get alot to do. it don't bother me at all especially if i take the door bars out.

In anycause good luck in what you decide. But just my guess you may not need to go for a full cage unless your gona race sactioned or going for like 9 secs or faster at the drag strip which at this point your gona be getting alot tied up into the car
Old 02-02-2008, 11:54 AM
C5SCCA
Pro

Originally Posted by 97C5inSD
Well how into the road racing are you gona get? HPDE's or wheel to wheel raceing? That is what is gona dictate the cage that you need in the car. If you just want some added protection then you could go with a simple 6 point with removable door bars. that gives you the hoop and the back supports and then when your not racing you pull the door bars out. and it's not bad at all for the street. Granted when you get pulled over for something cops do give you a funny look when the see a roll bar in your car. and well my experiance from driving my car back from FL the Roll bar and Racing seats with 6 point harnesses. Grantd my cars Bar setup is not gona be legal to a major sactioned Raceing series. If i was gona get into that you just as well face it your car is gona be a race car then and not a driver, But with what i have i can still autoCross and Do HPDE and Some Road Race series that require a roll bar setup. and well it gives me that little piece of mind when im out there if something was to happen. And as for street driving which i admit i don't get alot to do. it don't bother me at all especially if i take the door bars out.

In anycause good luck in what you decide. But just my guess you may not need to go for a full cage unless your gona race sactioned or going for like 9 secs or faster at the drag strip which at this point your gona be getting alot tied up into the car
I will mainly be doing HPDE style events. At the track closet to me they have a sanctioning body called COMMA, and it is basically a run what you have type of deal, I would just like to have a cage around me, for peace of mind. But I think the 6 pt with removable door bars would be more than enough. Where did you get yours?

Get notified of new replies

To Full Road Cage

Old 02-03-2008, 09:39 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

My cage was already in the car when i bought it so i kinda lucked out there So as some of the other suggested you could contact Randy at DRM or look for some local perfomance shops that may be able to help ya
Old 02-03-2008, 12:55 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by C5SCCA
Anyone know where or how much it would cost me to put a full cage in a C5 coupe for road racing in or around Oklahoma? I am going to be building a street/track day toy very soon (not built to any specs, just a fun toy) meaning everything not essential will be stripped. I just do not know anyone close that builds full cages. Help?
My suggestion would be to sell your C5 and buy a used SCCA T1 car which will already have a full eight point cage in it instead of paying to put a cage in a car. There are generally several SCCA T1 cars for sale at any given time, and some may be close to your area.

As Cobra mentioned above, I did get my cage put in at Phoenix Performance (which is actually in Phoenixville PA just NW of Philly) like he was considering doing before he went the Panoz route.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 02-03-2008, 02:35 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

my 6 point with removable swingouts was meant for drag primarily but worked out fine for hpde use and was never an issue streetwise with the bars out, even chicks getting in the passenger seat never complained etc. the upper hoop of a cage is a lil extreme unless you're doing wheel to wheel racing ie T1. but if you're not building to spec I'd just go with the 6 point. Thats what I'm doing for my current track rat project that will see light (ie backup to the 800rwhp street car, and test miles) street duty.

ECS did mine but I think NJ is a bit of a hike for you.

Quick Reply: Full Road Cage