Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt Street Sways (C6 Z51): What Settings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pfadt Street Sways (C6 Z51): What Settings?

I'm getting ready to install Pfadt "street" sway bars on my C6 Z51: the stiffest front setting is almost T1, the stiffest rear setting is more than T1. I've got 295/30-18 front tires (on 18x11 CCW wheels) with 295/30-19's out back. Aaron recommends (presumably for OEM wheels/tire) the middle position (out of 3) on the front bar, and the 2nd stiffest (out of 4) on the rear. Refer to the image at the lower left: http://www.pfadtracing.com/products/...&search=&page=http://www.pfadtracing.com/products/...&search=&page=

With the wide front tires, I'm thinking I may want to back off on the rear bar, except that this setting is less than my C6 Z51 bar! Does anyone have any experience with these sway bars?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:53 AM
DOMSCOM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverton
I'm getting ready to install Pfadt "street" sway bars on my C6 Z51: the stiffest front setting is almost T1, the stiffest rear setting is more than T1. I've got 295/30-18 front tires (on 18x11 CCW wheels) with 295/30-19's out back. Aaron recommends (presumably for OEM wheels/tire) the middle position (out of 3) on the front bar, and the 2nd stiffest (out of 4) on the rear. Refer to the image at the lower left: http://www.pfadtracing.com/products/...&search=&page=http://www.pfadtracing.com/products/...&search=&page=

With the wide front tires, I'm thinking I may want to back off on the rear bar, except that this setting is less than my C6 Z51 bar! Does anyone have any experience with these sway bars?
I have them on my car. I have absolutely no track experience, but lots of street situations. I have the bars set to the stiffest on the front and second hole from stiffest on the rear. The tighter the front and softer the rear, the more understeer. The softer the front and tighter the rear, more oversteer. My car enters turns absolutely flat with this setup. The rear is a tap of the throttle away from oversteer. I do know in speaking with Aaron, that running a softer rear will give you a little more leeway going into a turn. That is, the car will not be as quick to transition to oversteer. It appears that you are tracking your car. I can tell you now, if you are really serious about handling on the track, installing Pfadt competition swaybar pillowbocks, and the entire poly-bushing kits to the bars, control arms, and engine mounts is the way to go to extract the absolute best handling from the car. I did this, and my car handles unbelieveably compared to stock. I think in the end you will have to do a trial and error on the track to see what you feel is best for you and the individual track that you are running on.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought seriously about using the Pfadt sway bar pillow blocks, but the street sways come with polyurethane bushings so I thought I'd try those first. Also, since the "street" sways at their highest settings are as stiff as the T1 sways, I thought they would be an adequate choice for a DD with occasional HPDE's. That said, I am setting up the car for optimal track handling.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:15 PM
DOMSCOM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverton
I thought seriously about using the Pfadt sway bar pillow blocks, but the street sways come with polyurethane bushings so I thought I'd try those first. Also, since the "street" sways at their highest settings are as stiff as the T1 sways, I thought they would be an adequate choice for a DD with occasional HPDE's. That said, I am setting up the car for optimal track handling.
As I said above, if you are setting up your car for optimal track setting, I would seriously think of including the aforementioned poly bushings. The steering, turn in, back to center response is so much improved. If you don't have coilovers, and are really serious about tracking the car, Pfadt has wonderful coilovers to boot. I have their complete suspension, and it just makes my car into a totally different vehicle.

Get notified of new replies

To Pfadt Street Sways (C6 Z51): What Settings?

Quick Reply: Pfadt Street Sways (C6 Z51): What Settings?