Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb Wants To Get Experience In Road Courses...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:11 AM
RrCoX22
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newb Wants To Get Experience In Road Courses...

So I have an FRC that I want to construct to be a strickly Road Course ride... I plan on taking classes at Infinion Raceway as it's the closest track to me but really have no direction and lack of experience on tracks for that matter. I plan on taking my track time as far as I can and see where it goes as I get more and more involved.

I've read the stickies and searched posts but just have lack of understanding certain classes and how certain events are conducted and how to approach the idea of driving road courses.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No shortage of events within driving distance:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ighlight=track
Be sure to check out the Norcal forum. I will be going to the Feb 25 Laguna Seca event, there are plenty of open slots. Sign up for the beginner group and give it a go. That is my recommendation.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:49 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. Check your car, bleed your brakes (maybe throw on some C5Z pads), buy a helmet, find a friend and hit up one of the local track days. Check the ego at the gate and just have fun. Bonus if you pick a group that gives every beginner an instructor like TEAM Racing.

I haven't thought much past the Spring Mountain Corvette Days event next weekend...
Old 02-03-2008, 07:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Check out NASA Nor Cal http://www.nasaproracing.com/norcal/
Old 02-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like to push the car and are a newbie, you may want to go to ThunderHill first. T-Hill is a little safer than Sears or Laguna just because there's less to hit if you go off track, fewer walls.
If you're going to take it easy and listen to the instructors, than any of the 3 tracks will do.

Like gk said, get your car prepped. Nothing's gonna screw up your first track day than having problems with the car or being shut down by a tech inspection because of marginal brake pads, tires,etc.

Also, prep yourself by reading something like "Going Faster" by Skip Barber or one of the other hi performance driving books.

David Ray (Hooked on Driving) has a really good DVD that's perfect for someone who hasn't been on the track yet.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Hetzel

David Ray (Hooked on Driving) has a really good DVD that's perfect for someone who hasn't been on the track yet.
or go to one of David's events, they have excellent instruction.

http://www.hookedondriving.com/home.cfm
Old 02-03-2008, 12:50 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

If you like to push the car and are a newbie, you may want to go to ThunderHill first. T-Hill is a little safer than Sears or Laguna just because there's less to hit if you go off track, fewer walls.
I'd agree with that. Haven't driven Thunderhill, but have seen video's of it and it looks very safe. I have raced at Laguna and Sears Point and there is plenty to hit at those tracks.

Either way, my advice is to go to a track day and check it out, even if you don't drive. Beauty of a track day is that you can drive well within your comfort zone (though for some that is harder said than done).

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 02-03-2008, 03:26 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Sears Point is a very technical track (and a very physical track too). There are two VERY bad places to lose your brakes, so you want to ensure they are in top condition....properly bled with race pads installed. There are several blind turns, and many people go off (spin) at turn two because it's blind, offcamber, and the line and power on point are deceptive. I would start out ah T-Hill or some other track.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:12 PM
RrCoX22
Pro

ya gran turismo has had me memorize that track... i know exactly what your talking about but could only imagine in reality. although i feel like would ease into getting the feeling or track driving and yes definitely have the car properly set up, brakes, suspension and all
Old 02-04-2008, 12:02 AM
codysdad
Racer

Default Good advice

Originally Posted by Subdriver
I'd agree with that. Haven't driven Thunderhill, but have seen video's of it and it looks very safe. I have raced at Laguna and Sears Point and there is plenty to hit at those tracks.

Either way, my advice is to go to a track day and check it out, even if you don't drive. Beauty of a track day is that you can drive well within your comfort zone (though for some that is harder said than done).
Button Willow is another safe track. Only one turn has a wall all the rest of the track is totaly open .At the start let eveyone go then start behind them so you don't feel rushed. Went there 4 times before I did LS this weekend. Don't get caught up in the colors of the run groups. Get a instructor the first time or couple of times. I drove in the rain Sunday and I've never even drove my c6 in the rain on the street but thought I'd give it a try. Dam I had to slow down and pay attention to the Apex's. It's tuff when you get out there and get hung up on passing the next guy instead of learning how to go faster.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
ya gran turismo has had me memorize that track... i know exactly what your talking about but could only imagine in reality. although i feel like would ease into getting the feeling or track driving and yes definitely have the car properly set up, brakes, suspension and all
Careful about using games. Not quite the same. Personally I can NOT use games with tracks that I have been on. Visual cues in the distance were not the same, turn in points, track feel and so forth.

Plus real life experience does not have that games reset button.

When I go to a new track I find a video of the track, hopefully from a simular HP car as the vette. Plus make a small copy of the track and tape it too the center of the steering wheel for the first two sessions.

The quicker you learn a new track the better, and the quicker you learn a new track on your terms, not video or a game even better.

Good Luck

Last edited by AU N EGL; 02-04-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Sears Point is a very technical track (and a very physical track too). There are two VERY bad places to lose your brakes, so you want to ensure they are in top condition....properly bled with race pads installed. There are several blind turns, and many people go off (spin) at turn two because it's blind, offcamber, and the line and power on point are deceptive. I would start out ah T-Hill or some other track.
I've races most on the west coast tracks. Sears is by far the most exciting track I've been on, even better than Laguna.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

One other thing, use an instructor. Some events have good instructors like "Hooked" however, they are always spread thin. You'll be lucky to get 2 sessions with one in the car.

The reason I'm saying this is, when you're new,even if you know the track from video or have driven it once, you could be learning the wrong lines, braking points,etc.
I can't tell you how many times I've been in a car and told the driver, " don't follow the cars in front of you, they're taking the wrong lines" This happens in the upper groups too.

If there's any way you can fit it in your track budget, hire an instructor, at least for your first 2 events. Check this with the event management first.

If you decide to do a track day at Reno-Fernley Raceway, I'll give you a day's instruction for $100.(it's only a half hour from my house).
Old 02-04-2008, 01:09 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

The reason I'm saying this is, when you're new,even if you know the track from video or have driven it once, you could be learning the wrong lines, braking points,etc.
I can't tell you how many times I've been in a car and told the driver, " don't follow the cars in front of you, they're taking the wrong lines" This happens in the upper groups too.
with Bill. Dont go out on your own, get an instructor.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:02 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
When I go to a new track I find a video of the track...The quicker you learn a new track the better, and the quicker you learn a new track on your terms, not video or a game even better.
That's a helluva good idea.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:52 PM
RrCoX22
Pro

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Careful about using games. Not quite the same. Personally I can NOT use games with tracks that I have been on. Visual cues in the distance were not the same, turn in points, track feel and so forth.

Plus real life experience does not have that games reset button.

When I go to a new track I find a video of the track, hopefully from a simular HP car as the vette. Plus make a small copy of the track and tape it too the center of the steering wheel for the first two sessions.

The quicker you learn a new track the better, and the quicker you learn a new track on your terms, not video or a game even better.

Good Luck
ya i wasn't going to even compare a video game to real life driving experience... feel even video's wont due justice... just use both of them to understand the layout of the track.

taping a diagram to the steering wheel is an awsome idea

One other thing, use an instructor. Some events have good instructors like "Hooked" however, they are always spread thin. You'll be lucky to get 2 sessions with one in the car.

If there's any way you can fit it in your track budget, hire an instructor, at least for your first 2 events. Check this with the event management first.

If you decide to do a track day at Reno-Fernley Raceway, I'll give you a day's instruction for $100.(it's only a half hour from my house).
ya that's what I was originally planning on doing... i just figured it was madatory but other than just being recommended.

my uncle lives in reno. maybe i will take the 3 hr. drive and head up that way when the weather gets better and take you up on that offer ...was completely unaware that there was a track in reno
Old 02-04-2008, 06:12 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

So I have an FRC that I want to construct to be a strickly Road Course ride... I plan on taking classes at Infinion Raceway as it's the closest track to me but really have no direction and lack of experience on tracks for that matter. I plan on taking my track time as far as I can and see where it goes as I get more and more involved.

I've read the stickies and searched posts but just have lack of understanding certain classes and how certain events are conducted and how to approach the idea of driving road courses.
Hey man, we've met a few times (once down in Salinas for the 'runs' when you still had the Camaro). I'm no Road Race expert, but I'm starting to run more events and I've done extensive setup research. I've also done 2 track days with the Jim Russell school at Infineon with lots of instruction. I AutoX a ton too. I'm just in Santa Clara but I work in Mountain view right by you. Bill is also local and just did a Skip Barber school.

We should get together sometime to BS 'vettes and racin'.

If you're going to take it easy and listen to the instructors, than any of the 3 tracks will do.

Like gk said, get your car prepped. Nothing's gonna screw up your first track day than having problems with the car or being shut down by a tech inspection because of marginal brake pads, tires,etc.

Also, prep yourself by reading something like "Going Faster" by Skip Barber or one of the other hi performance driving books.

T-Hill has its dangerous spot too. People have been wrecking cars in turn 13 it seems lately. But you are correct, T-Hill is "safer."

You are also correct about making sure the car is well sorted before heading out. Stupid little issues absolutely ruined my first track day and soured my taste tracking. Luckly I went back and had an AMAZING day that has me hooked.

Originally Posted by Subdriver

Again, if you choose T-Hill just be careful in 13.

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I did my first ever track day at Infineon, in the rain. But I am also crazy (or maybe stupid). The blind exits and off-camber turns are certainly a challenge, but it is also an amazingly fun track. The "esses" and coming through 9 at over 100 is a bit intimidating out first though.

And lastly, just for a little fun and to get you inspired to get out there:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...light=infineon

-TJ

Last edited by tjZ06; 02-04-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Newb Wants To Get Experience In Road Courses...

Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
RrCoX22
Pro

^not about to quote that but... ya i met ya once when i had that camaro that decided to make one with a wall. i had no clutch/etc. that one time i saw you too which was shame cuz it was fun as hell out there... see ya moved a little closer... and ya read that post when you first put it out on norcal-ls1.com...

probably see ya soon during this upcoming season
Old 02-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

ya i wasn't going to even compare a video game to real life driving experience... feel even video's wont due justice... just use both of them to understand the layout of the track.

taping a diagram to the steering wheel is an awsome idea

ya that's what I was originally planning on doing... i just figured it was madatory but other than just being recommended.

my uncle lives in reno. maybe i will take the 3 hr. drive and head up that way when the weather gets better and take you up on that offer ...was completely unaware that there was a track in reno
RF's a nice track. 7 different configurations. The longest is 4.2 miles. It's been here for like 7 years and they keep adding things. I was an instructor there for 5 years, kinda backed off a little now. Some of the footage from the "Hooked on Driving" dvd was shot there.
If you get a certificate/license from some HPDE events, you can run their "Test & Tune" days. I think last year they only cost $170.
www.reno-fernleyraceway.com
Old 02-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Originally Posted by tjZ06

T-Hill has its dangerous spot too. People have been wrecking cars in turn 13 it seems lately. But you are correct, T-Hill is "safer.

Again, if you choose T-Hill just be careful in 13.

I've heard this but it supprises me. I've never seen anyone go off there in a race I was in. Maybe it's getting slippery due to old asphalt ( They're supposed to repave this year). Hell, I have 2000+ laps there and it's probably the only corner that I haven't spunout in.

I did my first ever track day at Infineon, in the rain. But I am also crazy (or maybe stupid). The blind exits and off-camber turns are certainly a challenge, but it is also an amazingly fun track. The "esses" and coming through 9 at over 100 is a bit intimidating out first though.

Oh Yea, Sears Point in the rain, many years ago, I did my first roadrace there in a Kart, with slicks on, in the rain. I think I did 360's in evert corner.

-TJ

Quick Reply: Newb Wants To Get Experience In Road Courses...