Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best rim/wheel size for cheap tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:54 AM
clockworks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best rim/wheel size for cheap tires?

Hello,
I really enjoy going to HPDEs. Problem is that I'm not loaded, I need to learn to do things on the cheap.

What is the best wheel size for cheap tires? Someone suggested 18s all the way around that way I don't have to pay a premium for 19s.

I wanted to buy some cheap OEM takeoffs, but that throws a wrench into my 18s-all-around plan.

Also I heard that some people run on used tires. If I want to buy some used slicks, how do I know when used is too used? Why would someone sell tires that are still good??

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:09 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go back to the base C6 brakes you could run 17" wheels and tires... I'm not sure what wheels the Z51 brakes do or don't clear if you kept them and tried to squeeze them under a 17". (Anybody tried?)
Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gkmccready
If you go back to the base C6 brakes you could run 17" wheels and tires... I'm not sure what wheels the Z51 brakes do or don't clear if you kept them and tried to squeeze them under a 17". (Anybody tried?)
I thought the z51's had slightly bigger rotors but the calipers were the same.

If you can clear 17's then 315 T1 take off tires are really cheap and lots of people sell them here as well.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:03 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clockworks
Also I heard that some people run on used tires. If I want to buy some used slicks, how do I know when used is too used?
When the cords show (not trying to be a smart a$$, I run on the cheap too).

Originally Posted by clockworks
Why would someone sell tires that are still good??
Because what is needed to be "good" @ and HPDE or competitive at a TT is much different than what is needed to be competitive in T1. Many T1 guys sell their tires after a few heat cycles so they can buy new ones and stay up front with everyone else. There is still some life left in those tires however.

As was mentioned, 17s would probably be a good deal if they fit over your brakes.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

There are lots of 18" scrubbs out there too.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:50 AM
clockworks
Pro

So my stock wheels are 18x8.5 and 19x10. Would it be bad to go with 18x8.5 all the way around or should I stick with the stocks sizes and just pay a bit more for the 19" tires? Seems like it would be bad to reduce the rear width just to get 18s all the way around... ?

17s all the way around would require me to buy aftermarket wheels... sounds expensive. I think I want to pick up some stock takeoffs for cheap.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:50 AM
clockworks
Pro

Originally Posted by astock165
When the cords show (not trying to be a smart a$$, I run on the cheap too).

Because what is needed to be "good" @ and HPDE or competitive at a TT is much different than what is needed to be competitive in T1. Many T1 guys sell their tires after a few heat cycles so they can buy new ones and stay up front with everyone else. There is still some life left in those tires however.

As was mentioned, 17s would probably be a good deal if they fit over your brakes.
Heh, very interesting...
Old 02-05-2008, 10:33 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Lowest cost option I've heard of is used C5 Z06 rears - 18X10.5 on all four corners. The 2002-2005 Speedline version cost less. I think you can buy new ones for $200 a wheel so I'm sure you can buy used ones with minor cosmetic damage for much less.

Then you can run toyo or hoosier scrubs at $75 per tire or less.

I know this setup works on a stock C6.

John
Old 02-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Todd Z
Racer

Get 18x10.5 on all four and run the tire that works best for you. I have bought several sets of wheels from bob at house of wheels and have not had any problems. Good take offs will run $75-100 per tire depending on type, brand and condition.

Get notified of new replies

To best rim/wheel size for cheap tires?

Quick Reply: best rim/wheel size for cheap tires?