Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S. Florida Auto-X Feb 10th Equipe Rapide Event #1 Dolphins Stadium

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Hadez
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default S. Florida Auto-X Feb 10th Equipe Rapide Event #1 Dolphins Stadium

Below is an auto-x event for those of you that might be interested. I am running my 69 vette for the first time and would love to see some other vettes (new & old) out there run with me. I use to auto-x regularlly 10 years ago so I am just finally getting back into this stuff and will be very rusty. Hope to see some others out there...

Pre registration is now open…will close at midnight Wednesday 6/th.

Don’t delay…do it today. @ www.driverregistration.com

Equipe Rapide Event #1 - February 10, Calder Race Track

The first event of the 08 season is going to be at Calder Race Track out by Joe Robbie Stadium.

As you all know this will be the first time ER is using the track, so it is going to be a test for the site as well as a event. Calder has imposed sound and time retrictions on ER which is why gates will not open until 8:30 AM, and no cars out until 10 AM. They don't want the noise disturbing the horses so early.

Pre-Registration is mandatory @ www.driverregistration.com

Address:
21001 N W 27th Avenue
Miami Gardens, FL, 33056

Schedule:
- gate opens at 8:30
- entrants will park and pre-grid on lot D.
- final grid and course will be on lot E.
- first car out at 10:00am.
- bring your own trash bags. (no trash buckets on the parking lots)
- no loud noise is allowed till 10:00am.

See you there,

E.R.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:55 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Are u guys getting just 4 runs per car for the whole day? how long is this course? when is the next event where one can get "a lot" (10 or more) of runs in?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Hadez
Drifting

I have no idea how this club works...I use to race 10 years ago at a different auto-x club. I will let you all know how many runs I get and how it goes. The 2 different clubs I have been a member of we would always get at least 4 runs and sometimes 6 or 7 on a lucky day with everything going great and very low turn out. I have a camera mount so I plan on doing some in car video taping.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Hadez
Drifting

Here is a video of me inside my 69 vette doing my first auto-x! I know my hand position sucks...but I was concentrating on a ton of other things being this was my first auto-x in my 69 vette which did really awesome. I got 4 runs and the vette preformed like it should after all the suspension work last year with it being a lot more predictable than I originally thought on the turns and it really would hold the road nicely. Only had a slight "nose plowing" on 2 turns where they all said I needed to lower front air pressure to get the tires to roll a tad more and grip better. I left the park just as I arrived there...with all 4 wheels still attached and motored home wiithout any problems but now with a sense of better confidence in how my car handles and it can take some abuse, LOL!!! Still needs lots more practice.

btw...they all could not believe I was really serious about racing the vette saying it looked too good to be raced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNBerBFEfJI

Here is a quick video of another vette on the track. I did not have anybody to video tape for me on the outside, next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIke41eymck

It was a well organized event and there were a few really cool cars out there like a new Austin Martin, Lotus V8 Espirit, 78 280Z, etc.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:40 AM
B-ras
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carpedm
btw...they all could not believe I was really serious about racing the vette saying it looked too good to be raced.
Hey man- we didn't get to talk, but I was admiring that '69 from across the lot all day. I love seeing the older cars out there!

What class were you in and how were your times? Your in-car looked really smooth (nice driving), whereas I probably looked like I was at a drift event as much time as I spent sideways. I finished 2nd in SS with a 48.8 behind the Elise's 47.7.

If I see you at the next event I'll come introduce myself.

Originally Posted by urslooow
Here is a quick video of another vette on the track. I did not have anybody to video tape for me on the outside, next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIke41eymck
That's David Lehman's ASP Z06, but I think his co-driver is behind the wheel there.

Are u guys getting just 4 runs per car for the whole day? how long is this course? when is the next event where one can get "a lot" (10 or more) of runs in?
Unfortunately, that's never gonna happen with this club, not as long as they have 150-180 cars per event. With AutoX clubs, you can either have lots of runs or lots of competition, but rarely both.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

I ran with this club for a full year with my SC'd C5. the car never got a chance to stretch it's legs. By the time you learn the course you're packing it in. I used to get there at 7 am chg tires walk the course etc. I've graduated to the road course club. MUCH MUCH better! I know it's only $35-$40 and it's a good start for the kids but sheeez 8 hrs of time for about 5 minutes of seat time? that's why I stopped. In ft meyers you can do their "practice" on sat and get 15 runs and stay for the competition on sun. Once in a while this club offers some nationals practice and limits the # of cars and you get 20 or more runs, that's what I was referring to in my prior post. Enjoy yourself!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Hadez
Drifting

Sorry we did not meet up either...next time I will come on over also. I ran a best 52.2...from starting with a 55.0 secs first run. I still have a lot of work ahead of me learning how the car handles and how to drive her around the course. This was the first time I really have ever pushed her like that as on regular roads its a little nerving for me to do that. First couple of runs I was watching the oil pressure, rpms, etc. and went off course but the last 3 runs were good and fun.

I do know what you all mean by lack of track time...as I was just getting the feel of the course when my 5 runs were up (got 1 extra due to timer error). I should be there at the Homestead Race...and I am going to check out a few other clubs.

See ya guys out there next time and maybe we can switch off video taping each other as nothing is better than seeing how your car looks to others going around the course.

Cheers...Rob
Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 PM
B-ras
Melting Slicks

I ran with this club for a full year with my SC'd C5. the car never got a chance to stretch it's legs. By the time you learn the course you're packing it in. I used to get there at 7 am chg tires walk the course etc. I've graduated to the road course club. MUCH MUCH better! I know it's only $35-$40 and it's a good start for the kids but sheeez 8 hrs of time for about 5 minutes of seat time? that's why I stopped. In ft meyers you can do their "practice" on sat and get 15 runs and stay for the competition on sun. Once in a while this club offers some nationals practice and limits the # of cars and you get 20 or more runs, that's what I was referring to in my prior post. Enjoy yourself!
I hear you on the track time issue, and I couldn't imagine driving an FI Vette on those parking lot courses. It's hard enough for me to put the power down in my stock LS1. But every time I do a track day I wonder if I'll be able to drive my car to work Monday AM, which is not an issue with AutoX. I also like the competition aspect, though it sucks losing to a 4 cyl Lotus.

Originally Posted by carpedm
Sorry we did not meet up either...next time I will come on over also. I ran a best 52.2...from starting with a 55.0 secs first run. I still have a lot of work ahead of me learning how the car handles and how to drive her around the course. This was the first time I really have ever pushed her like that as on regular roads its a little nerving for me to do that. First couple of runs I was watching the oil pressure, rpms, etc. and went off course but the last 3 runs were good and fun.

I do know what you all mean by lack of track time...as I was just getting the feel of the course when my 5 runs were up (got 1 extra due to timer error). I should be there at the Homestead Race...and I am going to check out a few other clubs.

See ya guys out there next time and maybe we can switch off video taping each other as nothing is better than seeing how your car looks to others going around the course.

Cheers...Rob
When you say the "Homestead Race," do you mean with ERSCC (is that where the next AutoX will be?) or the lapping day with FARA that they spoke about at the drivers' meeting? I'm considering doing the latter, as $250 for a full day is a good price. I've run the infield at HMS, but never run through the banking in 3-4 except in a restricted lead-follow group.

BTW- I think a 52.2 is a great time for a C3 on that course, without knowing how modified your suspension is.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:50 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

On Feb 16 I invited some guys to come out and watch the Homestead track day. If u have a helmet and $20 to register I can give some of u guys a ride. I'll be trying to dial in my new motons and stoptech brakes, and check what untuned headers can do. Tune, K&N, and Caravaggio race seats are on in the near future--just waiting for backordered supplies. It is free to attend the track day just enter the rear of the stadium sign the waiver and look for my red z. w/ mich cups on ccw corsairs

Originally Posted by abraswell
I hear you on the track time issue, and I couldn't imagine driving an FI Vette on those parking lot courses. It's hard enough for me to put the power down in my stock LS1. But every time I do a track day I wonder if I'll be able to drive my car to work Monday AM, which is not an issue with AutoX. I also like the competition aspect, though it sucks losing to a 4 cyl Lotus.

When you say the "Homestead Race," do you mean with ERSCC (is that where the next AutoX will be?) or the lapping day with FARA that they spoke about at the drivers' meeting? I'm considering doing the latter, as $250 for a full day is a good price. I've run the infield at HMS, but never run through the banking in 3-4 except in a restricted lead-follow group.

BTW- I think a 52.2 is a great time for a C3 on that course, without knowing how modified your suspension is.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:56 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Autox sucks !

No track time at all. Tiny courses never above 80 mph.

Lots of crappy low powered cars I don't even want to look at.

The entrants look like what you would see in a prison yard.

Messed up goofballs all of em.

I wouldn't do anything else because------

1) I like really pushing the car, and I won't push it at 150 mph

2) Almost zero maintenence

3) BS with my friends about who is going to kick who's a$$ is fun

4) HPDE is not a competition

5) learning how to drive at a autox is cool, and I can use that with my daily driver on the street------I don't go anywhere near 100 mph on the street.

6) For me I choose autox---I like the challenge and the safety

David Lehman (My car is so low now that my "nuts" are scraping the ground)

PS---That wasn't me in the video----that was Joan, a chick driving her boyfriend's car in SS. My ASP car is loads faster IMHO.

Last edited by LehmanZ06; 02-16-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:09 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Next ER autox event in South Florida 3/16 Homestead (parking lot---normally used by the kart racers)

Any of you HPDE boys---up for a race ?
Old 02-17-2008, 02:40 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
Next ER autox event in South Florida 3/16 Homestead (parking lot---normally used by the kart racers)

Any of you HPDE boys---up for a race ?
why don't u come inside the speedway David w/ the REAL men!
Autox is fun WHEN you get to drive which isn't very often. If I got 20 or 25 runs I would do it. I drove over 2 1/2 hrs on the Homestead roadcourse yesterday and I was exhausted. I left an hour on the table. used 2 tanks of gas and brought it all home safely!

While there is no racing in an HPDE if you're passing Porsche Turbos, z06s, Ford GTs, and Ferraris it sure feels good. when they put that hand out the window to give u the point by it feels like u just made your best auto-x time!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:37 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

I don't know about that Ur....Steve

To each his own. But I think there are a lot of boys in high dollar cars that do HPDE that couldn't drive their way out of a paper bag. (i see some of them sometimes at the autox). For me passing them wouldn't be that big of a thrill.

But planting my car into an object is something I would like to avoid. Again to each his own, but I like all my blood inside my body.

Autox is generally at the ragged edge, push the car as hard as you can----most likely worst case in a 2 second penality cone---I can live with that.

I like to compete and measure myself----good or bad. That what gives me a thrill.

Come out to the lowly parking lot---

Hang with the boyz---

I will leave the HPDE's to you geezers...oops sorry "REAL MEN"

PS....actually nothing wrong with HPDE's....just not for me...not now

Get notified of new replies

To S. Florida Auto-X Feb 10th Equipe Rapide Event #1 Dolphins Stadium

Quick Reply: S. Florida Auto-X Feb 10th Equipe Rapide Event #1 Dolphins Stadium