Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Needed, Brake Shudder Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:44 AM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help Needed, Brake Shudder Problem

I just had some Brembo's GT 14" kit put on my Z06 and everything has been fine up until several days ago.

I did a high speed sprint and then got on the brake pretty hard but not 100%. Right away I got a little bit of brake shudder which didn't go away with several miles of normal driving. The next day I did another high speed brake and the shudder only got worse. What's going on?

Is there any way to fix this myself?

TIA
Old 02-06-2008, 11:17 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

May be uneven pad buildup. Forum Vendor Stop Tech has a pretty good discussion of it here:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 02-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you bed your new brakes properly after installation?

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

I may have a similar brake 'noise" with my lightly modified stock brakes. I've switched to Motul 600 fluid, installed stainless steel brake lines and I use C5 Z-compound pads (which were bedded correctly). I run in road course events generally two days each month.

When braking hard (sometimes to the point of briefly locking-up) I hear a low frequency noise or 'shudder.' I don't know that it's really a "shudder" as I don't feel any unusual vibration in the car or in the brake pedal. It's not quite a grinding noise either and my rotors and pads don't show any unusual wear. The brakes otherwise feel like they're working correctly...I slow rapidly and the car remains straight and true. The noise doesn't happen under mild braking...only when I really stab the brakes on the track.

I've seen the ABS indicator light-up sometimes but I'm generally concentrating more on driving rather than watching my gauges. I'm exploring brake upgrade options presently so I was interested to hear you experience something similar with your Brembo's.

I'll check back to see what others think about your similar situation.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:44 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Check your lug nuts. If they are not tight you can get a shudder also.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:10 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
.....When braking hard (sometimes to the point of briefly locking-up) I hear a low frequency noise or 'shudder.' I don't know that it's really a "shudder" as I don't feel any unusual vibration in the car or in the brake pedal. It's not quite a grinding noise either and my rotors and pads don't show any unusual wear. The brakes otherwise feel like they're working correctly...I slow rapidly and the car remains straight and true. The noise doesn't happen under mild braking...only when I really stab the brakes on the track.

I've seen the ABS indicator light-up sometimes......
Wayne

Not sure, but I'm thinking what you're hearing is the ABS cycling under hard braking - which is perfectly normal. The ABS can detect a wheel just as it starts to lock up and will release the brake on that wheel then almost instantaneously reapply the brake - doing that many times a second gives that sort of vibration sound, but it keeps the tire rolling just short of a lockup/skid to give you max braking capability.

I'm pretty sure what RossN is getting is the vibration from uneven pad material buildup on his rotors. Like it says in that StopTech article, it's very unlikely he's got warped rotors.

Bob
Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Subdriver
May be uneven pad buildup. Forum Vendor Stop Tech has a pretty good discussion of it here:
Thanks for the link to the very informative discussion. I think both RossN and myself have uneven pad build up.
I have new rotors on order but I'm going to try the suggestions in Stoptech's discussion and hopefully save the new rotors for use later.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:15 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Z06
Thanks for the link to the very informative discussion.
My pleasure and good luck. I've only had uneven pad buildup once and I just gave up on my rotors. As my class requires stock rotors and I was buying them at something like $25 a pop at NAPA, they weren't worth the time and effort to save.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:41 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

For what its worth, all of the pulsation in my brakes stopped when I switched to carbotech pads (xp9 F, xp8 R). I can also report the same with my wife's '03 WRX (stock pads did it badly, once a month I'd have to go get them hot and scrape the crap off).

If you clean it off and it comes back, try switching to a different pad.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mgarfias
For what its worth, all of the pulsation in my brakes stopped when I switched to carbotech pads (xp9 F, xp8 R). I can also report the same with my wife's '03 WRX (stock pads did it badly, once a month I'd have to go get them hot and scrape the crap off).

I have noticed this as well. Sometimes the cold abrasive nature of certain pad compounds have a self cleaning effect.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Thanks Guys,

I think the bedding in process may not have been done completely. I called Brembo and spoke with a Customer Service Rep and he sent me out a Trouble Ticket and the bed in procedures. The steps call for 30 3 second stops, from light to medium pedal pressure. I will be calling the shop to see how for they got into that process.

Anyone know what Size deep well sockets fit the 06 Z06 and the proper Torque requirement? I need to check those spec's out.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:25 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Subdriver
I was going to try this until I found out that Brembo aftermarket pads are not to common, and the Stoptech's are not compatible.

Am I correct in my understanding?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:26 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Did you bed your new brakes properly after installation?

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

I may have a similar brake 'noise" with my lightly modified stock brakes. I've switched to Motul 600 fluid, installed stainless steel brake lines and I use C5 Z-compound pads (which were bedded correctly). I run in road course events generally two days each month.

When braking hard (sometimes to the point of briefly locking-up) I hear a low frequency noise or 'shudder.' I don't know that it's really a "shudder" as I don't feel any unusual vibration in the car or in the brake pedal. It's not quite a grinding noise either and my rotors and pads don't show any unusual wear. The brakes otherwise feel like they're working correctly...I slow rapidly and the car remains straight and true. The noise doesn't happen under mild braking...only when I really stab the brakes on the track.

I've seen the ABS indicator light-up sometimes but I'm generally concentrating more on driving rather than watching my gauges. I'm exploring brake upgrade options presently so I was interested to hear you experience something similar with your Brembo's.

I'll check back to see what others think about your similar situation.
No noise to speak of, just a pulsing in the Brake Pedal.

In light breaking I hardly notice it. In meduim braking it becomes very pronounced.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:27 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steponc
Check your lug nuts. If they are not tight you can get a shudder also.
Will do.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:28 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Wayne

Not sure, but I'm thinking what you're hearing is the ABS cycling under hard braking - which is perfectly normal. The ABS can detect a wheel just as it starts to lock up and will release the brake on that wheel then almost instantaneously reapply the brake - doing that many times a second gives that sort of vibration sound, but it keeps the tire rolling just short of a lockup/skid to give you max braking capability.

I'm pretty sure what RossN is getting is the vibration from uneven pad material buildup on his rotors. Like it says in that StopTech article, it's very unlikely he's got warped rotors.

Bob
I agree, I just need to hear back from Brembo on the buildup cleaning process.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:31 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mgarfias

I'm hoping such a pad for the Brembo's exist that don't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:03 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RossN
I was going to try this until I found out that Brembo aftermarket pads are not to common, and the Stoptech's are not compatible.

Am I correct in my understanding?
what is the size number/ shape number of your brake pads??
Old 02-07-2008, 08:18 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by RossN
.......Anyone know what Size deep well sockets fit the 06 Z06 and the proper Torque requirement? I need to check those spec's out......
If you're talking about the lug nuts, the stock ones are 19 mm (a 3/4 inch is not quite as tight a fit, but will work).

Torque the lug nuts to 100 ft-lbs.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Help Needed, Brake Shudder Problem

Old 02-07-2008, 08:28 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
what is the size number/ shape number of your brake pads??
Not sure?

I have the 14" 6 pot Brembo GT's, and 13.5" 4 pot's in the rear.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:28 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEZ06
If you're talking about the lug nuts, the stock ones are 19 mm (a 3/4 inch is not quite as tight a fit, but will work).

Torque the lug nuts to 100 ft-lbs.

Bob
That is what I needed, thanks.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:20 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

This has happened twice to me over the years.

First time it was new Coleman rotors on a home made Wilwood conversion. It turned out that the rotor mounting surface had runout after mounting on the hat. I had the assembly turned and it fixed it. The vibration was moderate under moderate braking and was pretty violent during hard stops.

The second time it was from switching rear pads from XP8 to XP9. It didn't make any sense as I switch pad materials all the time. Fresh NAPA rotors cured it. Again the vibration was violent enough that I didn't feel comfortable driving it that way. FWIW, I used those same rotors later with OEM street pads and had no problems. Go figure.

Quick Reply: Help Needed, Brake Shudder Problem