Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You may not have insurance...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 AM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default You may not have insurance...

...at track days/HPDEs.

If you didn't realize it before, here's your wakeup call!

ref: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/au...=1&oref=slogin

From within:
To make matters worse, asking insurers to clarify coverage could result in a nasty surprise. Mike Barr, a dentist from Palm Beach, Fla., called the insurer USAA to see if his policy covered his Subaru WRX STi on the track.

“Some months later I got a letter from USAA saying they were going to discontinue coverage,” he said.” “They dropped me because I asked about” performance driving schools. “They confirmed it verbally when I called to inquire further.” A USAA spokesman said Dr. Barr was canceled for “several reasons,” but would not elaborate.
Yeah right...several reasons.

This NYT article doesn't help. I bet that if ins companies didn't have clauses in their policies before, they probably will now!

Last edited by kedvesh; 10-23-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:18 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

IIRC, this has been discussed here before; not only about USAA but other companies that will not cover a car used for trackdays/HPDE's. Some companies will not even cover your car if it is just sitting on the property whree an event is held.

That description regarding USAA track day policy has been around for awhile. I believe it is true that even asking will cause USAA to drop your coverage. So,like the Army, "Don't ask, don't tell".
Old 10-23-2008, 10:59 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is not new news. It's been discussed here and on many other forums many times. Unless your policy specifically covers track/HPDE events, assume that you do NOT have coverage. There are some companies that are starting to write HPDE insurance, both for liability and collision coverage. I have purchased event coverage from Lockton Affinity for HPDE events, for collision only, and it was very reasonably priced, all things considered.

Liability is another issue entirely. Just because you signed that waiver form as you enter the track, don't assume that you can't be sued if there is an incident on the track. That accident out in California with the Porsche GT3 a couple of years ago made that clear -- two guys got killed and the wife of the passenger in the car sued everyone, from the track, the sponsor, the driver of the other car involved, Porsche, to the track steward who waived the other car onto the track. The case settled for several million dollars.

Insurance is a big issue for HPDE events. As more of us want coverage, it should be more readily available. We all worry about our tires, seat harnesses, air intakes, getting more HP, HANS devices, helmets, etc. But insurance is an important accessory too. Hopefully, the industry will step up and provide some competitive products for us HPDE guys.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Some states have different regulations regarding insurance coverage. A fellow vette owner totalled his ZO6 recently in SC (I think) and his ins co payed the claim. Here in GA there is no such luck.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:09 PM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
This is not new news. It's been discussed here and on many other forums many times. Unless your policy specifically covers track/HPDE events, assume that you do NOT have coverage.

Actually, the opposite is true. Whether it's automobile, homeowner's or whatever, you're generally covered unless something is specifically EXCLUDED. Having said that, and as many others have noted, many major insurance companies have--in fact--put language into their auto policies to void claims for any track incident, whether it's a race/timed event or not.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:22 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yes I play the game (and fully realize the meaning of 'if you play, you'll somehow pay').

A couple of further notes.

If ins companies have 'no track' clause(s) in policies, it would be helpful if they also offered extra riders or separate policies--collision and possibly liability--to cover our track time. (Some already apparently do, which is great.)

I would have expected the NYT example guy's questions to throw up some red flags for the company and for them to be watchful about any claims he might make, but to cancel his policy like thay apparently did was bogus. They could still make money off of him for his street time while still protecting their bottom line if he tried to claim any damage/liability actions that were not covered by his policy.

Finally ...
Liability is another issue entirely...California...GT3..insurance is an important accessory too.
Good example of issues surrounding liability vs collision.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

I paid WSIB $1000 for 10 events this year. That's dirt cheap IMO. I'll have about 700 miles at the track this year, so that's only about $1.43 per mile.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:30 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sefa01
Actually, the opposite is true. Whether it's automobile, homeowner's or whatever, you're generally covered unless something is specifically EXCLUDED. Having said that, and as many others have noted, many major insurance companies have--in fact--put language into their auto policies to void claims for any track incident, whether it's a race/timed event or not.
Correct. I omitted to say that most policies these days specifically exclude any incident at a track, even in the pit areas. Unless you have a rider that specifically covers HPDE type driver ed events, the standard exclusion in most policies will bar any recovery if you wreck on the track. Liability coverage is also excluded, which can be a far bigger issue than the cost of repairs for the car.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:32 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Drug Delivery
I paid WSIB $1000 for 10 events this year. That's dirt cheap IMO. I'll have about 700 miles at the track this year, so that's only about $1.43 per mile.
Was that for liability, collision or both? Sounds like a good deal if the coverage is decent.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:17 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Old 10-24-2008, 03:47 PM
LS3FORME
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am friends with the guy Mike in the article and it was just a fluke, he was concerns as he had two track cars, and we where tracking almost two times each month. In south florida at the time we where luck as we have three active track Sebring,Homestead, Moroso ( closed now fo recond), and NASA was new in south florida so we had hugh track time and not too many people. Anyway, even the club's down here are having insurance issues so the problem needs to be addressed or track time is goin to dry up.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

Was that for liability, collision or both? Sounds like a good deal if the coverage is decent.
Collision only. I don't know if WSIB offers liability.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Old 10-26-2008, 07:59 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3FORME
I am friends with the guy Mike in the article and it was just a fluke, he was concerns as he had two track cars, and we where tracking almost two times each month. In south florida at the time we where luck as we have three active track Sebring,Homestead, Moroso ( closed now fo recond), and NASA was new in south florida so we had hugh track time and not too many people. Anyway, even the club's down here are having insurance issues so the problem needs to be addressed or track time is goin to dry up.

There are several Club insurance companies. NASA has is self insured. Most other clubs use K and K Insurance for the track coverage.

Several clubs now approved for the student use of Lockton Affinity through Motorsports Reg.com http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx?cID=31

However, they do have good rules. Must have an instructor in the right seat, must have classroom and NO TIMING. The event must be a true Drivers Education event. Not a Lapping day program.

Here is a list of Clubs and Events and driver application form covered by Lockton for Oct to Dec
http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Products.aspx

Modified cars are covered but you must list the modifications on the application form.

The biggest thing you guys must remeber, motor sports is about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 10-26-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:24 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3FORME
Say what?
Old 10-27-2008, 12:25 PM
H82GOSLW
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan Donit
Say what?
Took me a few times too.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just FYI, from my USAA policy

"EXCLUSIONS We will not pay for... 10. Loss to any vehicle while it is being operated in, or practice for, any driving contes or challenge."

Guess I should look into something else for track days. I only do 3-4 a year. Maybe after Summit point in a couple of weeks...

Get notified of new replies

To You may not have insurance...

Old 11-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drug Delivery
I'd pay that price
Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloaked
I'd pay that price
Yea, but whats the deductable ????

DH
Old 11-02-2008, 10:14 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
There are several Club insurance companies. NASA has is self insured. Most other clubs use K and K Insurance for the track coverage.

Several clubs now approved for the student use of Lockton Affinity through Motorsports Reg.com http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx?cID=31

However, they do have good rules. Must have an instructor in the right seat, must have classroom and NO TIMING. The event must be a true Drivers Education event. Not a Lapping day program.

Here is a list of Clubs and Events and driver application form covered by Lockton for Oct to Dec
http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Products.aspx

Modified cars are covered but you must list the modifications on the application form.

The biggest thing you guys must remeber, motor sports is about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

that lockton insurance reads very good! hope it does not go away!

Quick Reply: You may not have insurance...