Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is a worthy upgrade on brakes for a c5 ?? also do c5 z06 brakes work on c4?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:22 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default what is a worthy upgrade on brakes for a c5 ?? also do c5 z06 brakes work on c4?

friends were asking me what to suggest for brake upgrades for a c5? i think the c5 z06 calipers are not much better then the regular c5 calipers are they??

also a friend with a 94 c4 was asking if they could upgrade to c5 z06 rotors and calipers.

thanks for the help i have forgotten my c5 stuff since moving onto my c6
Old 10-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

All C5 calipers are the same, Z06 or not. The Z06 calipers are painted red. If the color affects braking performance, then yes, the C5 Z06 are better. If not, then they're all the same. For a brake upgrade, I'd start with real pads, real fluid, and some brake ducts. That covers 99.9% of drivers. You need to be doing some hard core track work to need to swap the calipers (and then it really comes down to dealing with pad taper more than actual stopping power).

Stoptech has some nice brake packages: http://www.stoptech.com/ Make sure your wallet is open when you show up.

C5 brakes will work on a C4 IF you get an adapter bracket, they won't just bolt onto a C4. You can find brackets from several vendors or for sale here on this forum.

Last edited by Mojave; 10-30-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:43 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

C5 upgrade I would go with Wilwood SL6 from LGM. DRM has bracket to use C5 calipers on C4 and they have a Wilwood brake kit also. Just watch your wheel clearances/
Old 10-30-2008, 10:50 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

how much better are the c5 calipers over the c4 ones?

both guys in question are running hp+ already maybe i will get them to get a set of dtc 70 or compareable for the road track
Old 10-30-2008, 01:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
how much better are the c5 calipers over the c4 ones?

both guys in question are running hp+ already maybe i will get them to get a set of dtc 70 or compareable for the road track
better but still not great and pad life sucks when pushed on a C5 cali[er hard.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:05 PM
jrmotorsports55
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the Baer Eradispeed rotor upgrades, worth it?

Jason
Old 10-30-2008, 03:12 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmotorsports55
What about the Baer Eradispeed rotor upgrades, worth it?

Jason
I'll throw my 2 cents in on this. I have been running all season long (10 events) with the Eradispeeds. I have gone through 5 sets of pads and to date, I could probably get another 5-10 events out of them. These are drilled and before people jump in saying how bad they are, I will happily take a "macro" picture of my rotors so everyone can see that theres not even one tiny little stress crack anywhere. I am blown away by their performance. I still have stock calipers but use Hawk HPS pads, stainless brake lines and have brake ducts/spindles.

I want to buy a BBK but then I have to sell and rebuy new wheels so I think I'll stick with my current set up and maybe try new pads.

I will definately buy the eradispeeds again while I run stock calipers.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:58 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GettReal
I'll throw my 2 cents in on this. I have been running all season long (10 events) with the Eradispeeds. I have gone through 5 sets of pads and to date, I could probably get another 5-10 events out of them.
Are you using the HPS compound on the track or just on the street? I ask because compound has a huge impact on long your rotors last.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:14 PM
jrmotorsports55
Racer

I was tossing between HPS and HP+, and eradispeed (if the ASP rules change).

Jason
Old 10-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by WBHighwind
Are you using the HPS compound on the track or just on the street? I ask because compound has a huge impact on long your rotors last.
I tried HPS on track (Road America) and had fade with them. I would not ever use them there again.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:42 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WBHighwind
I've been using them on the street and the track, they have pretty good bite and Ive been happy with them for the most part but I will probably try a more aggressive pad as my learning curve has increased and I want to start braking later/harder in some areas.

*** I havent noticed fade on bigger tracks (Mosport, WGI) but I will attribute that to the use of good high temp fluids, the lines and the ducting to cool the rotors. ** I did have a bit of fade on a smaller track where I couldnt get the rotors cooled if I wanted to.

Last edited by GettReal; 10-30-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:17 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Derek,
You will need a set of C4 to C5 adapters, I think I have a set around here. There is a slight upgrade in performance from the larger pistons and pads. The rotors are 12.75 x 1.25, the C4's are 13 x 1.10. I have 2 piece Coleman Racing rotors available for the C5.

Then you will need a set of Cobalt Friction pads to complete the track package.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:32 PM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a C4 and converted my fronts to a C5 set up - Baer Eradispeeds Drilled/Slotted and Hawk HPS pads, SS lines all around & high temp brake fluid. I purchased the adapter plates from a Forum Member. Kept the C4 set up on the back (debate over whether conversion is truly worth it/can be done), however went to a larger & matching drilled/slotted rotor and Hawk HPS pads.

The stopping difference now is night and day and haven't experienced the fade I had when running on the full C4 set up before.

I did have to switch to the "A" (ZR1) wheel for clearance (ok and looks too ) to keep the traditional C4 style wheel.

IMHO, the brake conversion should be one of the first "mods" done to a C4 - even for just regular street driving. We all know those can get a little "spirited" sometimes

lauri
Old 10-31-2008, 07:00 AM
jrmotorsports55
Racer

So, for autocross, what is recommended, HPS or HP+? If the SP rules change, I will definitely look in to the Eradispeeds (2 piece front, and +2 rear).

Jason
Old 10-31-2008, 09:10 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

A C5 caliper and rotor conversiopn on the front of a C4 will require a diffeent wheel like a ZR-1 5-spoke style. The stock "salad shooter" wheel will not clear the caliper.

But 89 and later C4's did have a 13" front HD brake package (RPO J55) that will bolt on to cars with stock 12" front brakes. You need to get the correct caliper bracket and rotors. Stock wheels work fine with that setup.

As far as pads, I run HPS for autocross on my 87. They have great cold bite and for most slow courses ( say < 70 MPH) they should work fine. If you have a C5 or do the conversion on a C4, you can run Z06 pads which will probably be just as good as the HPS pad.

For track days, I agree that good pads, good DOT4 or better brake fluid and some ducting will work for a wide variety of tracks. The Hawk HP+ is a good basic track pad and will work for a-x but that pad does need some heat in it for it to start working well. I ran a set on the street for a couple weeks and the cold brakes were "thrilling".

There's noting wrong with Eradispeeds and other high-quality rotors, but stock rotors will be much cheaper. Pads and rotors, along with fluid are IMHO, an expense item for track days. In the long run, it will be cheaper to use stock rotors if you only do a few track days each year and still have good pads, fluid and ductwork.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:11 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a set of C5 calipers, brackets and conversion brackets laying around if your friend is interested. I also installed the DRM stainless steel pistons in the calipers. I used the set-up for 3 events and have decided to make my car into a full time track car, so I will be going to a BBK over the winter.
Joel
Old 10-31-2008, 02:07 PM
jrmotorsports55
Racer

Thanks, maybe I will just stick with changing to HPS pads, getting lines, good fluid, and stock or powerslot rotors. That way I don't have to worry about wheel size, and can go with Z06 wheels, or something like them. I'm not going for a big win car, just something to have fun in locally.

Jason

Get notified of new replies

To what is a worthy upgrade on brakes for a c5 ?? also do c5 z06 brakes work on c4?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:32 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Changing wheel size can change your class. You should consult the rulebook before spending your money on mods like wheels which make you entirely non-competitive.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:36 AM
jrmotorsports55
Racer

I'm gonna be ASP regardless, due to current mods to car.

Jason
Old 11-01-2008, 01:37 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Oh, good. Just so long as your aware. It really sucks when someone comes out and you tell them their 3k wheels just moved them into a SP class and they get their butt waxed all day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what is a worthy upgrade on brakes for a c5 ?? also do c5 z06 brakes work on c4?