Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Suspension Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:29 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default 87 Suspension Upgrade Question

Now that the autcross season is over for me it's time to plan some suspension upgrades for my 87 coupe. The car has the Z52 package and a few years ago. I added new Bilstein Sport shocks, poly bushings in the Z52 sway bars, and a R-D Racing Camber Brace.

I run 275/40-17 Hoosier's on ZR-1 17x9.5 wheels with the 38mm offset. Alignment is currently close to the VB&P "Advanced Street" specs.

Next season, I will most likely go with Kumho V710's and change alignment based on what suspension changes are made. I'll be doing a front brake upgrade to C5 stuff. The car's motor is not stock, so that along with suspension mods would place it in SCCA B/SP (no NCCC events in my area).

I have been looking at the Vette Brakes packages but what I don't see is their "Extreme Touring System" for 87's. I could buy some of the components individually, but it doesn't look like the Extreme springs are available at all.

Any suggestions on different springs, shocks and/or sway bars would be appreciated!! The car is also used for a few track days but the primary use is autocrosss.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:42 PM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If SM2 is an option, you can consider these for the rear suspension, it has trialing arms, camber rods and toe rods.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

You can't upgrade to the C5 front brakes on a C4 in BSP.

You can only upgrade to parts that were available in the same body style and that means you can only upgrade to C4 big front brakes. Don't see any reason to upgrade to the C5 brakes anyway for autocross, the C4 brakes are fine.

Remember that BSP is pretty much a "parts swap" class, and you are restricted to swapping parts that were available in that body style. That means you can pick from all of the 84-96 parts, but that's pretty much it. Aftermarket calipers and stuff like that aren't allowed.

Do a search in this forum on BSP setup for C4's there have been a couple of threads that cover the subject pretty well. Get a set of poly bushings in the front and selectively upgrade poly bushing in the back (if you do them all it will bind up), for a start. Get an aggressive alignment, lower the car and start working with shocks.... For bars, a 26 in the back is as big as you can go without jacking problems, and then tune the front to your taste...
Old 11-08-2008, 12:07 PM
66IISS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pay attention to the SCCA FastTrack, periodically there is news on changes to upgrades etc. A few months ago it was proposed to allow front brake kits and 2 piece rotors in Street Prepared. I'd like to see that happen, not for autocross but for the track. C4 brakes are a little weak on the track.

Here's a link to the fastrack: http://scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=78

Get notified of new replies

To 87 Suspension Upgrade Question

Quick Reply: 87 Suspension Upgrade Question