Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's up with cobalt pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:14 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what's up with cobalt pads

I read the post about having to use a half inch drill bit to open the hole on some of the one piece pads. Today, I spoke with one of our sponsors who informed that the caliper pins are getting bent from the use of the one piece set up . I placed a call to Cobalt and they said that they had a problem with some of the earlier pads regarding the holes and the solution was to use a file to open them up but they hadn't hear about the pins bending. If anyone is finding these problems can you please post. I guess I'll return my new pads and go with Hawk 70s and Coleman rotors for my C6Z06.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
I read the post about having to use a half inch drill bit to open the hole on some of the one piece pads. Today, I spoke with one of our sponsors who informed that the caliper pins are getting bent from the use of the one piece set up . I placed a call to Cobalt and they said that they had a problem with some of the earlier pads regarding the holes and the solution was to use a file to open them up but they hadn't hear about the pins bending. If anyone is finding these problems can you please post. I guess I'll return my new pads and go with Hawk 70s and Coleman rotors for my C6Z06.
I wouldn’t return them they work great. I did have to open the holes but have not bent any pins I think that would be hard to do.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:49 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Update on info. Today I spoke with one of our sponsors who stated that the pins don't get bent due to the one piece pad but get bent as a result of the design of the caliper regardless of padlets or one piece design. I'm glad to hear some positive feed back on the pads and the compound.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:04 AM
gintama
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the Cobalts before you send them back. They work very well and seem to hold up under hard braking very well, are easy to modulate and are rotor friendly. They are also nice since you do not need to bed them in.

Hawk makes good pads for a good price. If you drive on the street, the one BIG drawback is the deposit they leave on your wheels. It is almost impossible to clean. If you just race, this will not matter.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:45 AM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by gintama
Try the Cobalts before you send them back. They work very well and seem to hold up under hard braking very well, are easy to modulate and are rotor friendly. They are also nice since you do not need to bed them in.

Hawk makes good pads for a good price. If you drive on the street, the one BIG drawback is the deposit they leave on your wheels. It is almost impossible to clean. If you just race, this will not matter.
Thanks for the info. are they OEM rotor friendly?
Old 11-07-2008, 04:16 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

go buy some real brakes
Old 11-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a picture after six events and no cleaning. They are very rotor friendly and dust free 3mm of ware. Although the track I ran are not very hard on the brakes NJ, Lime Rock and Monticello.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:38 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by John Shiels
go buy some real brakes
Let's get a set of Cobalts for your car to try out for the 2009 season.

Get notified of new replies

To what's up with cobalt pads

Quick Reply: what's up with cobalt pads