Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Speed Braking Dance

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:26 AM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

Default High Speed Braking Dance

I have a 2009 Vert, base suspension with Z51 sways, car is only a month old, more stuff to come. Happened to be on a lonely road, so took it up a bit to see how it would behave. With the top up, at 160, braked about 3/4 hard, and the car danced and wiggled pretty good. Not what I was expecting.

Was the rear lifting? Suggestions on how to deal with it? I'd like to keep the low cD, but want to have sufficient downforce to keep it nicely planted. And at some point I want to get it out at Motorsports Ranch for some laps. Maybe AFTER a few more suspension changes, the base suspension is surprisingly soft.

I was thinking I'd just lower the nose an inch or so to get some downforce until I can get a splitter. But wiser thoughts are always appreciated. I know lots of folks know more than me, so I'm all ears!

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:31 AM
urtoslo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The few times I've had a base suspension Vette (non Z06/Z51) at the track was enough to not want to do it at any more. 160, on a public road? You need to cut that stuff out and take it to a track....
Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Need more info.

Was the road straight and smooth?

What tires?

Temperature?

Did abs or active handling kick in?

It is not the sway bars. They only come into play with lateral loads. Not forward and back loads.

When you brake you transfer a lot of weight to the front of the car, which lightens the rear quite a bit. Also, if your tires are not warm/hot they don't have the grip they should have. From what I have read going fast in a straight line does not really heat the tires up too much. It is when you brake or turn that you really put some heat in the tires.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:32 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Plus tire pressure.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:14 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a "performance alignment". Also check your ride height. My C6 showed up with 0 rake, setting the front lower than the rear seems to help -- I'm talking 1/2" max difference. At a minimum make sure you've got the tires all pointed the right directions (ie. check toe).

Messing with aero before you get some mechanical grip is just a waste of time and money...
Old 11-09-2008, 02:27 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Tires were just highway cruising warm, pressure was good. I REALLY need to get an alignment done. Someone in the DFW area that does a good job?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:16 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Get firmer shocks put in, Bilstein sport, z06 shocks(c5 or c6) first. thats your problem too soft settings for real high performance. And brake smoother at that speed..dont pound the pedal..you have to dial it in gradually to not upset the balance of the car. I find that braking when at those speeds you feel the back rise, let off the brake slightly and the car will transfer the weight back to the rear then hit the brake again until you stop...or at least slow down enough to enter the next corner... you learn these things at the track..good luck
Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Originally Posted by mark b
Get firmer shocks put in, Bilstein sport, z06 shocks(c5 or c6) first. thats your problem too soft settings for real high performance. And brake smoother at that speed..dont pound the pedal..you have to dial it in gradually to not upset the balance of the car. I find that braking when at those speeds you feel the back rise, let off the brake slightly and the car will transfer the weight back to the rear then hit the brake again until you stop...or at least slow down enough to enter the next corner... you learn these things at the track..good luck
Thanks. Absolutely, next thing on the car will be the Bilsteins.

Get notified of new replies

To High Speed Braking Dance

Quick Reply: High Speed Braking Dance