Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooked On Driving racing club. Ever heard of them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:14 PM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hooked On Driving racing club. Ever heard of them?

Palm Beach International Raceway formely known as Moroso finished revamping all their tracks. There is a road racing event Nov 22 that will be at night under lights. I see a club called Hooked on Driving is the host. Any of you heard of this club?

http://hookedondriving.com
Old 11-09-2008, 09:23 PM
turbo50mike
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, myself and a few others on here have run with HOD in their North East chapter. They run a really good day, and give us a good amount of track time.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:05 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HOD is based in Northern Calif. and has set up several operations
around the country. The local group is very big on safe track days,
no racing. They have gotten several sponsors to kick in promotion
goodies at several of their events. I expect that would apply to the
remote operations as they expand. Very good for new drivers and
they have run single Marque events, specificallly Corvette track days
here. For those that enjoyed the Pobst video posted recently, that
was at a HOD event. Randy
Old 11-10-2008, 01:55 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have been doing HPDEs with their west coast section for a year now. they run top-notch operation.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:47 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I ran with them at Thunderhill and the whole operation was top-notch with lots of track time and a solid focus on safety.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:03 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Same opinion here - I've run with the Northeast outfit twice and thought they did a great job. Their head instructor this year was Kevin York (drives for the Compass 360 team in the Koni Challenge series). Its great to learn from someone of that caliber.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:59 AM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

I've done a couple with Chinmotorsports. With regards to instructors; In Car, Lead and Follow, Driver Observer, Prep for competition and none are the options. Can a beginner choose any of the above (excluding none)?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:10 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

I have run with HOD at Homestead and they run a really nice track event. Henry Gilbert runs the operation in FL. and he does a great job. His events are well run and safe. I will be instructing at the new track on the evening of the Nov. 22, come and join the fun. If you have any other questions you can contact me. and you can get in touch with Henry thru the HOD web site. JD
Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

ECS and HOD teamed up this year to do a day at NJ Motorsports park. Very good organization.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

don't know about hod but do know henry, he's a very qualified racer/instructor. nice pic of the wife.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 AM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Agreed with all of the above....we have run in the NE and they do a great job.

They will probably have different run groups based on experience and would highly doubt they'll let you jump groups without being upgraded by the instructors.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:19 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thumbs up here as well. A LOT of track time compared to many others. I love when they only run 3 groups!
Old 11-10-2008, 06:43 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RoganR
I've done a couple with Chinmotorsports. With regards to instructors; In Car, Lead and Follow, Driver Observer, Prep for competition and none are the options. Can a beginner choose any of the above (excluding none)?
In the NE region they run three groups: novice, intermediate and advanced. Then they have the instructor run group also. In novice you'd have an in-car instructor mandatory. The final session you may get signed off for solo. In intermediate you'd have an instructor the first session and then from there its up to the instructor. In advanced I think instructor is optional. The two events I went to this summer did not do lead-follow, just in car instructors.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:50 PM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Red Gump
don't know about hod but do know henry, he's a very qualified racer/instructor. nice pic of the wife.
Are you doing Sebring Raceway Dec 12th with Chin? I will be there.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:54 PM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by argonaut
In the NE region they run three groups: novice, intermediate and advanced. Then they have the instructor run group also. In novice you'd have an in-car instructor mandatory. The final session you may get signed off for solo. In intermediate you'd have an instructor the first session and then from there its up to the instructor. In advanced I think instructor is optional. The two events I went to this summer did not do lead-follow, just in car instructors.
Ok...cool. I spoke to Henry today and he was a really nice guy. He also told me a lot of Vettes are at the events as well. According to Henry you won't see slow cars on the track. At Chin in Sebring a couple of years ago...(i think i have the vid) there was a slow rusty looking Volvo doing about half the speed of others...It really didn't look like it fit in with the rest of the cars...but to each his own.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:26 PM
DarksideDE
Intermediate

Yes - and they have a nice reputation in the SE... well, with the track junkies I know that join them at Roebling Road....
Old 11-12-2008, 07:27 PM
FredSM
Drifting

Agree with my NorCal brethern . . . HOD is top shelf for HPDE. Very safety-conscious, but serious about you having fun. I assume the other regions maintain the same standards. Almost every event has a sponsor or a theme (like Hooked on Corvettes) and I've met folks like Randy Pobst, Roc Linkov (NCM), and many forum vendors through HOD. I recently started coaching for them and I can honestly say I have as much fun hanging with the HOD team, coaching, and giving student rides as a full day of haulin' the mail around the track. And, yes, I don't hesitate to run with other groups when the timing or price is right.

FM
Old 11-12-2008, 11:10 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Fred, would you happen to have any information regarding the event coming up this weekend? I sent an email last week to HOD and they replied, but all this week they have not replied to my emails. I was told I could just show up and register at the track in the email on saturday, but since then I have noticed the website says they are full. I won't know until thursday or friday if I can make it and that is why I originally questioned registering at the track. I'd hate to tow all the way up there and be turned away. I'd like to use this event to do some suspension tuning on my car.
thanks,
-V
Old 11-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

Originally Posted by RoganR
Are you doing Sebring Raceway Dec 12th with Chin? I will be there.
hadn't planned to drive but can probably swing out if you need a hand.

Get notified of new replies

To Hooked On Driving racing club. Ever heard of them?

Quick Reply: Hooked On Driving racing club. Ever heard of them?