Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CF Members Take on the 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor
Default CF Members Take on the 25 Hours of Thunderhill

It's official - we'll be campaigning the only Corvette at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill!

We'll be running our Pfadt C5 and have a great team of drivers. Along with myself we've got Danny Popp, Dean Conti, and Norm Goldrich. Norm isn't really a CF member, but he is a fabulous driver, so we decided to let that slide.

Everyone came in to Salt Lake this weekend for a shake down and to work out some of the plans. Here's the Gang...

Dean, me, Norm, Danny

Our real goal for the race is to simply finish - which is easier said than done. Since Nationals we've been working to add 25 Hour reliability to the car. One of the big changes was that we added C6 fuel tanks. The C5 tanks starve for fuel sooner and based on our calcuations would have had us stopping for fuel every 50 minutes or so. That's a lot of lost time and it makes it difficult to rotate drivers.

We also changed the head gaskets to lower the compression so we could run pump gas. We had the car on the dyno on Thursday and everything was running well, but on the practice day on Friday we had a TPS sensor fail. It was frustrating and posed obvious difficulties for the drivers to get good seat time.

Eventually we got the car working well and everyone got valuable seat time. We practiced driver changes, and have a good feel for what we need to do.

The only downside to all of this is now Danny has time on my home track on the same configuration they'll run at NASA Nationals next year!

The 25 Hours of Thunderhill starts at 11 AM on Saturday December 6th and ends on Sunday at noon. We've got a great staff coming together to run the fuel stops and tire changes. We have about a million things to do this month to get the car as ready as possible.

Corvette Recycling has stepped up to support our effort with an unbelievable list of upgrades and spares. Thanks to Colton and Doug for the support.

I've got a big stack of fresh race rubber in the shop thanks to Hoosier. Thanks Jeff Spear for supporting the Corvette effort.

Stay tuned for all the action!

-Aaron
Old 11-10-2008, 05:54 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Best of luck to you and your crew.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:58 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking good gentleman, Look forward to updates and pictures during the event.

RAFT!

Aaron Quine
Old 11-10-2008, 06:41 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

man, you guys have too much fun.

also, those facilities look AMAZING. that and the mountains in the background... must be like heaven out there.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking forward to seeing you guys represent!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Good luck, guys!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Vette Ed
Le Mans Master

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Good luck to you and your Team!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:52 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

It should be a good time. And you're right Norm is a great driver and also a good guy.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 PM
tstiles
5th Gear

I'm sure you guys have thought of this stuff but here goes :

- Do Not Hit the slower cars ... The SM's and such WILL NOT see you with the closing rates you have.
- Do Not let the slower cars hit you ... Talent levels will vary , Just because the White 944 was well driven in your last stint does not mean it will be well driven in your current stint.
- It will be tempting to outbrake people , and burn the brakes off the car.
- Practice your pad changes and manage the number of pad changes you need , Think about it , if you can skip a pad change ( or get one under full course yellow ) you might save 10 minutes. That's huge.
- Manage your fuel , 50 minutes is not very long ..... We lost Moroso one year to a much slower car that only needed about 14 stops when we needed 23.... Ouch !
- Prepare for the worst , one year @ Moroso we broke a rocker arm bolt on an SRF , only one I've ever seen break .... Another team gave us one and we only lost about 10 minutes.

Have fun guys , Few things better than a 24 hr race with good friends !
Old 11-10-2008, 11:00 PM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

Serious drivers I see. Have fun!!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:01 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Good luck Aaron and crew - I will be looking for you guys on Friday before the race to say hello. I look forward to meeting and racing with you guys!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by tstiles
I'm sure you guys have thought of this stuff but here goes :

- Do Not Hit the slower cars ... The SM's and such WILL NOT see you with the closing rates you have.
- Do Not let the slower cars hit you ... Talent levels will vary , Just because the White 944 was well driven in your last stint does not mean it will be well driven in your current stint.
- It will be tempting to outbrake people , and burn the brakes off the car.
- Practice your pad changes and manage the number of pad changes you need , Think about it , if you can skip a pad change ( or get one under full course yellow ) you might save 10 minutes. That's huge.
- Manage your fuel , 50 minutes is not very long ..... We lost Moroso one year to a much slower car that only needed about 14 stops when we needed 23.... Ouch !
- Prepare for the worst , one year @ Moroso we broke a rocker arm bolt on an SRF , only one I've ever seen break .... Another team gave us one and we only lost about 10 minutes.

Have fun guys , Few things better than a 24 hr race with good friends !
Great advice. I ran the event last year with the very practical goal of learning things like this. The team I was on had several on-track incidents (with both slower and faster cars). It is imperative to stay out of those, ultimately they cost us several hours in the pits fixing broken parts.

Brakes are a bit of an unknown for us. We ran with StopTechs and Pagid Yellows last year and made it though without a pad change. This year's car is a little heavier and more powerful, but we have larger StopTechs on it. We'll plan on a change (and practice it) and hope that we will not have to do it.

I think we will have a long night of passing Spec Miatas The competition looks to be formidable this year. Several fast ES cars are entered including a V8 M3 by Fall Line Motorsports and some Porsche GT3 Cup cars. Those cars will all be at least our equal in terms of lap time capability. It will definitely come down to reliability and flawless execution.

-Aaron
Old 11-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Pfadt
a V8 M3 by Fall Line Motorsports
...with an X-trac sequential.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:21 PM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds like fun but its probably work. Enjoy nonetheless and good luck

Ps Maybe some onboard camera vids
Old 11-11-2008, 12:51 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck guys, and be safe
Old 11-11-2008, 12:55 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by theVcar
Sounds like fun but its probably work. ...

Ps Maybe some onboard camera vids
I'll be there working crew for Aaron and the boys. I'm in it for the fun and the work. It isn't really work when you're having fun.

I brought my camera last year but never took any pictures. This year I'll try to get some shots to document the event from a team perspective.

Dog
Old 11-11-2008, 12:57 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It looks like things are coming together. Thumbs up to Hoosier and Corvette Recycling for helping out.

Get notified of new replies

To CF Members Take on the 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Old 11-11-2008, 12:58 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Good Luck on your venture. I will be there as a spectator and will be rooting you on.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:33 PM
tstiles
5th Gear

Aaron ,

As we all know , it's a 1,001 little things that add up in endurance racing. Something we did that saved a lap or two @ Moroso in an SRF .... We knew we would need at least 1 pad change during the event.... Our objective was to limit it to 1 change ... Where we saved the 1 or 2 was by doing it under the planned corner worker change ( full course yellow ) @ 7:00 AM ..... The timing was perfect , we knew the yellow was coming , so when it came out , we stopped , changed pads ( practice changing hot pads ) , checked rotors , tightened wheel bearings , checked out everything , new tires and topped up the oil ...... Perfect plan , Perfect execution ..... Just one of the little things that brought our small team a 1st class / 3rd overall & 3rd class / 8th overall finish.

Whatever happens , Have Fun .... This is the kind of stuff you'll remember a long time !
Old 11-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Darrell@Xtreme
Intermediate

Good luck! We will not make it this year

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CF Members Take on the 25 Hours of Thunderhill