Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock pads for my first HPDE in my C5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:37 PM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock pads for my first HPDE in my C5?

I've done a couple road course events in my old camaro. A friend of mine recommended Hawk pads, so I got them and set of rotors for the z28. I also put motul brake fluid... The camaro did well brake wise, but I only drove in 20 min sessions.

My question is will my stock pads and rotors hold up if I run 20 min sessions? I will flush out the brake fluid and put some type of race fluid..maybe motul or if you guys recommend something I will try.

Last edited by RoganR; 11-10-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

for your first event you will be fine. Yes fresh Motul is a very good idea

If you start doing more and more events, then a more agressive or race brake pads would be a better option

Good Luck and have fun
Old 11-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Depends on how you drive. I put C5 calipers on my car and they came with stock pads, which I used once! They had such poor stopping for street use that I wouldn't have dreamed of using them on the track. I tried Z06 pads and they are not up to my driving style either. If you plan to go more then once, keep some decent track pads around. They are very simple to change!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Davinss
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be just fine with stock brakes! And brake bias is different on a C4 so Aardwolfs comments don't really apply to us with C5's.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Davinss
You will be just fine with stock brakes! And brake bias is different on a C4 so Aardwolfs comments don't really apply to us with C5's.
I've changed the stock bias spring for the DRM one. The stock C5 pads were terrible, I threw them out. The Z06 pads had nice bite, those I thought were good for street use. Poor for track use though, bet they'd be good for autox.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Listen to your brakes, take it easy, tap/test them before corners after a few laps to make sure they are still there and you will do fine.

In the future as others have said you will likely want some real brake pads and complete you braike cooling ducts to the back of the rotor.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:12 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It partly depends on how aggressive you plan to be. I wanted to learn and so took it real easy my first few track days, stock C5 break set up was good. I then switched to Z06 pads and they were better. I then tried PF - z pads and got more agressive, but didn't have a set once and when I put back in Z06 pads it took two sessions and I basically disintegrated one front pad with more than 50% left, just got it too hot. If you have time on track and expect to break hard, the stock set up won't last too long, then again if you use momentum and spend less time hammering the brakes even the stock set up will do a pretty good job. It's more about expectations and once you've run on track, well, you expect more ....
Randy

And oh yes, cooling ducts, especially in the front are a must ...

Get notified of new replies

To Stock pads for my first HPDE in my C5?

Quick Reply: Stock pads for my first HPDE in my C5?