Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

accusump question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:19 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Default accusump question

My car is leaking oil from the pressure relief valve on the Accusump. There are occasional squirts of oil that eventually leave the underside of the hood and surrounding areas covered w/ oil. The sump is controlled w/ an electric valve. The pressure is 70 psi. I bled it down to 20 psi, but it went right back to 70 when I started the car.
Does anyone have any ideas on solving this oil leak? Is there a way to bleed an accusump w/o making such a mess? Does this suggest a problem elsewhere in the system?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C5inWV
My car is leaking oil from the pressure relief valve on the Accusump. There are occasional squirts of oil that eventually leave the underside of the hood and surrounding areas covered w/ oil. The sump is controlled w/ an electric valve. The pressure is 70 psi. I bled it down to 20 psi, but it went right back to 70 when I started the car.
Does anyone have any ideas on solving this oil leak? Is there a way to bleed an accusump w/o making such a mess? Does this suggest a problem elsewhere in the system?
If it is only leaking at the valve and not the big canister o-ring area, you should be able to bleed the accusump to zero. Have ignition on to make sure electric valve is open and bleed tire valve down till gauge reads zero.

I believe you can unscrew the old relief valve (Carefully) and purchace a new one from Canton,Moroso,ETC & reinstall with teflon tape. Maybe the little check ball or seat is bad inside that valve. Pretty wierd, never heard one leaking from there before. Recharge system to 70 PSI and then bleed back down to 10-12 psi. Thats how I do it on the T1 car and has always worked well.

Good luck & Hopefully others will chime in with there thoughts/ideas if they have experienced this before.

Aaron
Old 11-14-2008, 01:29 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a discussion about causes for a leaky Blow-off Valve
in the Accusump Manual - see page 9 of 11 here.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:59 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced the pressure relief valve on mine. I had a 110lb on there and twice it blew oil out, so I put a 165lb on there.

Release all the air until the guage reads zero, turn the ignition to the on position, you can unscrew the valve now ***NOTE there may still be a bit of pressure in the canister even when it reads zero so wrap a towel around the valve for the last couple threads because it could pop like a champagne cork and give you a oil surprise, ask me how i know this (oil taste like crap).

I used plumbers teflon tape as mentioned, and screwed the new valve on. I filled it back to 60lbs and it dropped to 40... filled again to 60...it dropped to 50...I filled again and it held at 60lbs (Must be equalizing or something). I left mine over night before the next step to see that it held pressure properly.

Next day ( it held) I dropped the air pressure to around 10lbs (was hard to see 7lbs on my guage). Started the car and it immediately equaled what my DIC guage said (about 60lbs) However I did notice there was about 5-10 lbs difference at first but it has got closer now.

Ran the car hard at the track the next day and checked for leaks... all good. Check out this thread and see if it helps you at all.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...reference.html
Old 11-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

GettReal, what compass position is your Accusump mounted in?
Does the discharge outlet point northward or is it oriented in some
other direction?

Old 11-14-2008, 04:47 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Moroso accusump and it has a release valve that looks like a tire valve that should release the pressure. Does yours have that?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:56 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
GettReal, what compass position is your Accusump mounted in?
Does the discharge outlet point northward or is it oriented in some
other direction?

Heres a pic... its all stright up and down

Last edited by GettReal; 11-14-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:07 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Very helpful information and links, as usual. Thanks, Guys

I'll get to work on it this weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To accusump question

Quick Reply: accusump question