Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a Wing for Road Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for a Wing for Road Racing

Spark notes on bottom.

I'm looking for a rear wing for road racing with the MOST down force possible. I am building a C4 for the Cannonball Run/ NASA Super Unlimited/ Possibly NASA Super Touring 1 but mostly for the Cannonball Run: One Lap of America and there are no rules regarding rear spoilers so I am looking for the biggest most down force possible wing. The wing will be secured to the frame.

I simply want the most down force possible...I have a little way to take care of that drag in the straights so that’s not an issue to worry about. I am looking for the biggest size also. I have found a few 72" but can't seem to find a nice one. Cost is not really a problem I'm open to all ideas but something around $2,000 would be nice. I'm planning on having the wing about the roof line also since my class rules will allow that. I was hoping for something like Speed World Challenge type of wings but around 72"+. No double wings just single blade wings. Anyone know of any good road race wings that fit this criteria or a place that can make a wing to fit this criteria for a reasonable price?

Spark notes: I'm looking for the biggest wing possible (around 72"+). The amount of drag for the straights is not an issue. Hopefully around $2,000. No double blade wings just single blade wings.

Thanks a lot guys.

Last edited by Git Er Dun; 11-14-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:13 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

corvetteracebodies.com They have straight and curved c6r style wings. 9-12 degrees will be most efficient, more works but you'll get excessive drag and stalling
Old 11-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
corvetteracebodies.com They have straight and curved c6r style wings. 9-12 degrees will be most efficient, more works but you'll get excessive drag and stalling
^^
Old 11-14-2008, 11:28 AM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.aprperformance.com/
Old 11-14-2008, 11:32 AM
manicheus
Instructor

There seem to be two choices out there.
Corvette Race Bodies for $3,025
http://www.acpmotorsports.com/corvetteracebod.htm
APR Performance for $1,540
http://www.aprperformance.com/index....sk=view&id=169

Any comparison data on downforce and drag?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Griggs out in California. They bought HardBars wing design

Also a wing in clean air, above the roof line, provides more down force. Too much downforce will slow your car down significantly
Old 11-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Griggs out in California. They bought HardBars wing design

Also a wing in clean air, above the roof line, provides more down force. Too much downforce will slow your car down significantly

I have a way to reduce the amount of drag on the straights...I want as much downforce as possible in the turns and I will take care of the straight away drag...

Is there any simple wings like Speed World Challenge type of wings with no curve to the wing really. Just flat wing at an angle with two end plates? I had seen those 2 companies (ACP and APR) before when I was looking around and was kind of interested in ACP. Also interested in comparision data between the 2.

The APR's GTC-500 looks good if you don't have a way to cut the drag down because they are curved and all but I am looking for as much down force as possible and I think that curve probably eliminates some of that potential down force...anyone else think this?

I will talk to the guys at ACP to see what they can do for me. Anyone ever use ACP before and can comment on their spoilers? This one looks pretty cool:

I still am a few months from ordering a wing since I am working on piecing my engine together but just am hunting around for when the time comes to get the wing. I am in Iraq right now so there isn't a hurry to get the car done for a while either.

Any other good spoiler companies?

Also does anyone know who makes a good front splitter for a C4? I'm going to need one of those also.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:59 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Why are you limiting it to a single element design? You can get a lot more down force from a double or triple element design.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

I am looking to keep it simple. Plus my way of limiting drag for the straights calls for a single design. I'm looking for a large flat surface area like the picture I put...only without having as big of side plates probably.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:59 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I would consider the hardbar wing or the G-stream. Both excellent designs proven many times over.

http://www.griggsracing.com/

http://g-stream.com/
Old 11-14-2008, 03:02 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get someone to fab uprights, you can get Porsche GT3 Cup replica wings for pretty decent money.

They have a proven wing profile too. I was also told LG used one at one point also.

http://revozport.com/webpics/porsche...up/page_01.htm
Old 11-14-2008, 04:55 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Originally Posted by trackboss
I would consider the hardbar wing or the G-stream. Both excellent designs proven many times over.

http://www.griggsracing.com/

http://g-stream.com/
I use the g-stream wing partly because of it's high downforce and availability. They have a pretty thick cord and somewhat of a built in gurney - which should help build downforce quickly down in the 40-50 range. I know I can feel it at that range.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kerry at ACP is great and knows what he is doing and will have the data for the wings he has. Wings need an airfoil or curve to work otherwise we would all use plywood and planes would not fly. Larger wicker on trailing edge of wing will give you more down-force.

How are you going to reduce drag down the straights? The wing drag will be constant unless you can change AOA.

When you say spoilers do you mean the front or the back? Spoiler is in the front unless someone was talking about a smaller rear deck spoiler. You will need something to balance the wing on the nose.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:18 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

did you try Jim Derhaag? he`s right in your back yard...
Old 11-14-2008, 05:49 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Wings need an airfoil or curve to work otherwise we would all use plywood and planes would not fly.
Most of the rear wings that I have seen are built like an upside down airplane wing (airfoil). The down force is created by the shape of the wing. The curved surface creates a "low pressure" side while the straight surface creates a "high pressure" side as the air splits at the leading edge of the wing.

On an airplane wing the curved surface is on top, creating an upward force known as "lift." On cars, the curved surfaces are on the bottom, creating down force.

A flat surface would work in rudimentary fashion, but to get the most down force with the least drag, you would probably need an airfoil, which is a complex shape to properly make, hence the cost.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:03 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
Most of the rear wings that I have seen are built like an upside down airplane wing (airfoil). The down force is created by the shape of the wing. The curved surface creates a "low pressure" side while the straight surface creates a "high pressure" side as the air splits at the leading edge of the wing.

On an airplane wing the curved surface is on top, creating an upward force known as "lift." On cars, the curved surfaces are on the bottom, creating down force.

A flat surface would work in rudimentary fashion, but to get the most down force with the least drag, you would probably need an airfoil, which is a complex shape to properly make, hence the cost.

mmmm wingage

Old 11-14-2008, 06:35 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I am not an aerodynamic expert by any means, but I'm guessing the whole point of the curve in most modern wings (curve not referring to the airfoli shape fo the wing, but to the curve you would see in the leading or trailing edge of the wing iwhen looking at it from one end) is to try to catch more consistent airspeed/pressure across the length of the wing. So, I would suspect it actually increases the amount of downforce that a wing can produce, not the other way around. At the very least you get more surface area for the same overall width.

In my experience, creating tremendous amounts of rear downforce with a wing is pretty easy. It's very easy, in fact, to produce way more rear downforce than you can effectively balance with front downforce - which can be more tricky to gain.

If you put a huge wing on there and overpower the front downforce enhancements I'm sure you're planning, then you haven't done yourself any real good. Also, unless your adjustable plan includes both front and rear downforce adjustments, I could see the car being very strange and scary to drive. Example:

Your rear wing is in "max downforce" mode as you enter a curved section. You've already limited it so that at max downforce, the car is well-balanced front-to-rear aerodynamically. As you leave the curvy section and head for some straight stuff, you adjust your rear wing to minimum downforce mode. But, your front is still producing enough downforce to balance the wing when in max downforce mode, so now the car is very aero-loose. The faster you go, the worse it gets. Not good!

So, make sure you're looking at the aerodynamics of the car as a system, not just individual components.

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a Wing for Road Racing

Old 11-14-2008, 09:12 PM
bpirate
Burning Brakes

Try Crawford composites.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:53 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Last time I called (about a year ago) Crawford did not make a sedan wing. Try here for carbon fiber...

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...ction=category

http://www.roadraceparts.com/composites.htm

and here for aluminum

http://www.fabcar-usa.com/products.html
Old 11-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the info guys!!! As for the curve section I was talking about I meant the traditionally flat part having curves in it like the APR wings do.

Mikahb: I had never though about that situation before...guess I will have to do more thinking and figure something out to deal with the front splitter not being able to adjust...

Anyone know any really good front spliters also? I really appreciate all the comments guys and all the great ideas and links to companies you provided.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Wing for Road Racing