Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting into SOLO2 for the first time, I have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 11:48 AM
ekim7878
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Getting into SOLO2 for the first time, I have some questions.

Ok. I just signed up to be a SCCA member for the first time and i'm ready to take the plunge into the Novice SOLO2 class for some intense cone-course racing. I had a couple questions about my car and the racing itself.

1) What class would I fall into with my current car and mods?

2000 Corvette coupe: Z06 leafs, sways, shocks. Upgraded Brake pads and stock size drilled and slotted rotors. Axel back NXT exhaust. Blackwing intake. C6 shifter.

2) When and where (website or phone #) I can register ahead of time for 2009 SOLO2 novice races in my region (atlanta)?

3) If I have a targa top (which I do) does it count as an open car? And if it does count, do I need a 4/5 point harness in order to participate in the race?

4) Is there any general advice that you would give to me to help me out?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:16 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You were ASP (springs, rear sway bar, intake and rotors) until you got to the shifter. I'm not sure about the shifter...would this qualify as a "same line" swap? Someone will chime in in a moment on the shifter.

As far as local information go to: www.SCCA.com and click on the "Find a region near you" button at the top of the page.

No harness required. You may run with or without the top.

Read the sticky at the top off this section regarding "new to autocross".

Have fun.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:37 PM
autoxn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The short throw shifter is fine in ASP. If you want to cut the learning curve in half. Check out an Evo school in your area. We're in the process of putting our 09 schedule together now. I'm sure we'll be in your area at some point.
Mike "Junior" Johnson
Evolution Performance Driving School
Old 11-14-2008, 01:25 PM
jmartynuska
Instructor

On number three, the targa counts as an open car with the top removed.

If you want to use a harness, the roof panel must be in place.

If you install a roll bar, you may use a harness with the top removed.

I don't remember the exact wording off the top of my head, but that's the gist of it.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:24 PM
ekim7878
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though it is a stock C6 shifer people would consider it a short throw shifter? That is not what I expected.

Also, pardon my ignorance. But what is ASP? something..street prepared?

I also read a rule that if you are a topless vehicle you have run with the top off? Is that true with a targa?
Old 11-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by ekim7878
Even though it is a stock C6 shifer people would consider it a short throw shifter? That is not what I expected.

Also, pardon my ignorance. But what is ASP? something..street prepared?

I also read a rule that if you are a topless vehicle you have run with the top off? Is that true with a targa?
ASP = A-Stock, Prepared.

It's one step up from SS (Super Stock) where "stock" newer Corvettes run (me included).

I'm kind of surprised they don't have a SSP class, because the cars that are truly A Stock are a lower class than Super Stock.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

[QUOTE=Datawiz;1567847762]ASP = A-Stock, Prepared.

It's one step up from SS (Super Stock) where "stock" newer Corvettes run (me included).

It is A Street Prepared and higher than Super Stock where the Stock Z06's run. If you are on street tires your local SCCA region may have a street tire class for you to run in. The ASP cars will be on race tires. Go to SCCA.com and look up your Division then region. They have a map and it will give you the local contact info.

Have fun!
Old 11-14-2008, 04:04 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Datawiz
ASP = A-Stock, Prepared.

I'm kind of surprised they don't have a SSP class, because the cars that are truly A Stock are a lower class than Super Stock.
That would be A Street Prepared. Stock class names have no correlation to Street Prepared classes, so AS does not equal ASP.

Last edited by RX7 KLR; 11-14-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:10 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ekim7878

It is not the OE shifter for your car, so it is treated no different than an aftermarket shifter.

Where did you see a rule that said you must run with the top down/off?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR
That would be A Street Prepared. Stock class names have no correlation to Street Prepared classes, so AS does not equal ASP.
While I knew ASP was "street" prepared and I made a type-o, please explain BSP, CSP, .... Don't they also correlate to cars in similar classes (BS, CS) like stock? I've only been doing this for 18 months, so I'm not 100% up on why the classes are named what they are.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:45 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Datawiz
While I knew ASP was "street" prepared and I made a type-o, please explain BSP, CSP, .... Don't they also correlate to cars in similar classes (BS, CS) like stock? I've only been doing this for 18 months, so I'm not 100% up on why the classes are named what they are.
BSP is full of AS and BS cars: C4, S2K, StiEvo all AS cars. While the RX-8, 350Z, BMW M3 (E36) come in from BS. CSP has BS, CS, DS, and ES cars in it. The name is irrelevant, it is based on performance potential - and a cars potential changes (some massively) when you leave stock class.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:06 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

When you're getting started none of this really matters a great deal. The main thing is to find and event and just drive the car. Drive the car at every event you can find. Spend your money on gas, motels and entry fees.

Don't worry about what class you're in. The organizers will determine that. You just want seat time - a lot of seat time.

Richard Newton
Autocross Performance Handbook
My Car

Last edited by rfn026; 11-15-2008 at 05:07 AM. Reason: I screwed up the link

Get notified of new replies

To Getting into SOLO2 for the first time, I have some questions.

Quick Reply: Getting into SOLO2 for the first time, I have some questions.