Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What sneakers for HPDE -Heel/Toe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:32 PM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What sneakers for HPDE -Heel/Toe?

I have a c5 with the stock pedal setup. Will upgrade later, but I have an event this weekend and realized I should probably get better sneakers.

What have you guys/gals been using?
Old 11-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Todd Z
Racer

Puma!
Old 11-16-2008, 02:44 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up some Piloti Prototipo's for $85 shipped during MSI's promotion a little while ago; may still be going on. Unfortunately I didn't get them until 2 days after the last event of the season, but they feel nice driving around town!

http://www.motorsportimage.com/default.aspx?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Piloti!!
Old 11-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Jon B.
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd say Puma or Piloti. My feet are pretty big, long NOT wide. I have trouble getting good blips with the side of my foot since they are so narrow. I think the Pilotis are wider than most Pumas. I am gonna get a set of Pilotis and i'm sure i'll not have as big a problem. I think I need a larger pedal with a "heel-toe" pad.

Jon
Old 11-16-2008, 05:10 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

don't buy "racing shoes".
they are too narrow.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:32 PM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

dag....i just placed an order for these. Are these too narrow? Piloti Scuderia

Old 11-16-2008, 05:38 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

A soft bottomed racing shoe is best for pedal feel and ability to modulate the brake pedal. The width of your foot will define what type you should use. Wide foot no problem on rolling over to blip the throttle on a downshift. Skinny or small foot and a racing shoe might not be wide enough to allow you to do a decent downshift. In that case look at a gas pedal extention. Feel and control is everything !
Old 11-16-2008, 07:34 PM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StealthLT4
I picked up some Piloti Prototipo's for $85 shipped during MSI's promotion a little while ago; may still be going on. Unfortunately I didn't get them until 2 days after the last event of the season, but they feel nice driving around town!

http://www.motorsportimage.com/default.aspx?
I bought the same ones and very comfortable to drive with. Both on the track and for long distance.

Unfortunately, still need to customize my pedals because unless I wear a flipper, no shoe is wide enough to properly blip for shifting. I literally have to turn my foot horizontal which gets to be rather uncomfortable and twists my knee. Have it perfected now though, just means I limp for a few days after being on the track

lauri

PS.. I also have a pair of Puma's which I wear on really hot days - find them a little cooler to wear compared to the Piloti's.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Although not fire resistant a good substitute for racing shoes are Wrestling shoes. Most sports stores have a number of brands in stock (although supply may get a little dicey with the beginning of wrestling season).

Bill
Old 11-16-2008, 09:33 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Found some pilotis on ebay for around $40. I bought 3 pairs
Old 11-16-2008, 10:00 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm a soccer player/coach and I have always used my addidas samba indoor soccer shoes. I bought a pair of piloti's thinking they might be even better, but I still prefer the addidas. They give great pedal feel and have a completely flat bottom which makes it easy to heel/toe for me. You can get them at any sporting good store that sells shoes.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:10 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

It's not the shoes, it's the feet..........Practice practice practice. Just wait until your racing in the rain, floorboard full of water.....technique trumps equipment in the end.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RoganR
I have a c5 with the stock pedal setup. Will upgrade later, but I have an event this weekend and realized I should probably get better sneakers.

What have you guys/gals been using?
I also have a C5, but I have modified the brake pedal to be about 1/2 inch higher than stock and about 1/2 inch closer to the gas pedal. This makes the heal/toe action much easier.

Untill you can get the pedals in a better relative position, go for the widest/soft sole sneaker that you can find. Mine are made by Riddell.
As David has said, good technique and lots of practice is the key, not any particular shoe.

Jim
Old 11-17-2008, 09:26 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Although not fire resistant a good substitute for racing shoes are Wrestling shoes. Most sports stores have a number of brands in stock (although supply may get a little dicey with the beginning of wrestling season).

Bill
Super comfortable, super good feel, low cost!
Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Super comfortable, super good feel, low cost!

3rd the motion. Not fire retardant, but cheap $35 and have as good or better feel than anything else I've tried. They basically have no padding, just the rubber sole and you feel everything the pedal is feeding back to you and they are very slim, so no getting hung up on the pedals doing heel/toe. Unless you are going to spend the money and buy an good set of fire retardant real race shoes, these are absolutely the 2nd best option.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:47 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jim 47
I also have a C5, but I have modified the brake pedal to be about 1/2 inch higher than stock and about 1/2 inch closer to the gas pedal. This makes the heal/toe action much easier.

Untill you can get the pedals in a better relative position, go for the widest/soft sole sneaker that you can find. Mine are made by Riddell.
As David has said, good technique and lots of practice is the key, not any particular shoe.

Jim
Yep! I've never been a big fan of the C5/C6 pedals to be honest. I have narrow feet and could never do a proper heel-toe with racing shoes. I had to modify my brake pedal as well to get it closer to the gas and raise it up some.

I have a video out there on youtube showing what I did to my pedal and how to do a good heel-toe in a Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To What sneakers for HPDE -Heel/Toe?

Old 11-17-2008, 12:34 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey

3rd the motion. Not fire retardant, but cheap $35 and have as good or better feel than anything else I've tried. They basically have no padding, just the rubber sole and you feel everything the pedal is feeding back to you and they are very slim, so no getting hung up on the pedals doing heel/toe. Unless you are going to spend the money and buy an good set of fire retardant real race shoes, these are absolutely the 2nd best option.
I'll add a 4th Aye, Aye to wrestling shoes as a great low cost option. Used them all summer, fantastic feel due to the ultrathin sole. A bit to narrow for my pedal setup though causing me to have to twist my ankle.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
It's not the shoes, it's the feet..........Practice practice practice. Just wait until your racing in the rain, floorboard full of water.....technique trumps equipment in the end.

Dave I'm with you. I still love showing up at regular HPDE's in jeans, NASCAR sweatshirt and Nike running shoes. All the guys in full firesuits and Sparco racing wear can't wrap their mind around it when they get passed by someone who doesn't have race shoes on! Being in the Camaro makes it even more fun

Joe
Old 11-17-2008, 10:59 PM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redtopz
I'm a soccer player/coach and I have always used my addidas samba indoor soccer shoes. I bought a pair of piloti's thinking they might be even better, but I still prefer the addidas. They give great pedal feel and have a completely flat bottom which makes it easy to heel/toe for me. You can get them at any sporting good store that sells shoes.

Well I placed my order for pilotis the other day. Not sure if they will make here before Saturday afternoon (racing under lights at PBIR), so I will visit sports authority Sat morning in the event they don't arrive.

Quick Reply: What sneakers for HPDE -Heel/Toe?