Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Safety Equipment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Default C4 Safety Equipment?

I'm posting after a response from eogel on my thread earlier today got me thinking. What would be "standard" safety equipment for a HPDE dedicated C4? Roll cage, fire extinguisher, perhaps a fuel cell?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:11 PM
urtoslo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that's a good start. Also include a racing seat with side head restraints, harnesses, fire suit and HANS device. You need to have the same for the passenger, where your instructor will ride as you learn. However, the instructor should come with his/her own HANS and fire suit.

There really is no standard for a HPDE car, other than passing tech and a good helmet. If you do all the above, you'll be better able to concentrate on learning how to drive. All that stuff plants you in the car where you can easier judge what the car is telling you and adjust accordingly.

I rarely put on my fire suit to instruct, but I do appreciate the racing seat with harnesses for my HANS.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:18 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

I've been running with a harness bar and a fire extinguisher.

The halo actually make a pretty good rollbar, though with the added power I'll be looking to step up to a 6pt.

Get a decent helmet and fire suit.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:21 PM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are driving all out then I do not see a difference between a HPDE and a race car. I would say the same safety standards, full cage, racing seat and harness at a minimum. Then Fire suit, and Hans. Then fire system and cut off switch. I say fire system because a fire extinguisher is of little value. The purpose of a fire system is to give you extra time to get out of the car if its on fire. If you have time to reach under you seat, unhook the fire bottle, then use it you had plenty of time to get out of the car. At a track, if its staffed well the corner worker will have their own bottle and will not reach for yours.

I have worked safety rescue for 9 years now and have seen bad crashes in HPDE and W2W. Physics doesn't care if you were only HDPE when you hit something or roll over.

With that said we do have more accidents in W2W than HPDE so the risk is lower in HPDE but I think this will change as HPDE develops more drivers in the fast group. Pass anywhere on track and the speeds the fast cars are getting to are only a mix for a major accident. Things break, people put a wheel off and shoot back across track trying to save it, you don't have to be W2W to hit another car.

So bottom line to me is not if you are HPDE or W2W but at what speeds. If you are at W2W lap times and pushing the limits of the car then full W2W safety.

Mat

Last edited by MAC95 6SPD; 11-17-2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MAC95 6SPD
If you are driving all out then I do not see a difference between a HDPE and a race car. I would say the same safety standards, full cage, racing seat and harness at a minimum. Then Fire suit, and Hans. Then fire system and cut off switch. I say fire system because a fire extinguisher is of little value. The purpose of a fire system is to give you extra time to get out of the car if its on fire. If you have time to reach under you seat, unhook the fire bottle, then use it you had plenty of time to get out of the car. At a track, if its staffed well the corner worker will have their own bottle and will not reach for yours.

I have worked safety rescue for 9 years now and have seen bad crashes in HDPE and W2W. Physics doesn't care if you were only HDPE when you hit something or roll over.

With that said we do have more accidents in W2W than HDPE so the risk is lower in HDPE but I think this will change as HDPE develops more drivers in the fast group. Pass anywhere on track and the speeds the fast cars are getting to are only a mix for a major accident. Things break, people put a wheel off and shoot back across track trying to save it, you don't have to be W2W to hit another car.

So bottom line to me is not if you are HDPE or W2W but at what speeds. If you are at W2W lap times and pushing the limits of the car then full W2W safety.

Mat
Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Bud,

As stated by above, there is no standard requirement for safety equipment for HPDE. The minimum requirement by the organizations I am aware of are a helmet and stock seat belts. Some very key points have been made by the posters above. As we see the speed and handling capabilities increase dramatically in student's cars, the risks also increase. I have not seen much, if any, increase in student driver awareness of what safety equipment is needed. As someone who only road races now, I fully appreciate the safety equipment, especially the HANS device. Using the HANS dramatically increased my physical and mental comfort level, even after having raced W2W for several years before getting one. Mat has pretty well summed it up in his post.

Ed (BTW, all of my racing is in a C4)

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Safety Equipment?

Quick Reply: C4 Safety Equipment?