Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody use an Excursion as their tow vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Todd Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody use an Excursion as their tow vehicle?

For those who use a Ford Excursion diesel as their tow vehicle. Do you like it? What are you towing. Any problems? Thanks!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:49 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

I know a couple people who tow with them. But stay away from the 03 (and maybe 04?) ones. Those early 6.0L Powerstrokes are known to have issues.

The older 7.3L ones are more bulletproof but I believe the tow capacities are lower.

Ive been recently looking at 2005 diesel Excursions and it looks like you can get them for between $17-20k.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:42 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've towed about 4 times with a V-10 2000 Excursion with extra tow coolers.
Since the longest was from the Bay Area to Reno-Fernley Raceway I have to
say it handled it well. I did go up the hill at reduced speed, mid 50's up the
steep climbs. We mostly use the truck for dog show hauling and it is very
comfortable, like when some one crawls in back to nap on the road, lots of
cargo space ...... and then some!
Randy
Old 11-20-2008, 12:59 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Todd Z
For those who use a Ford Excursion diesel as their tow vehicle. Do you like it? What are you towing. Any problems? Thanks!
I know Donna Littlejohn (Ernd it) tows her Z06 on an open steel trailer with a 7.3 Excursion.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Woods
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tow with an 05 Excursion Turbo diesel. Awesome tow vehicle, the only thing I have added is a load leveling hitch. I tow a 25 ft enclosed trailer

Last edited by Woods; 11-20-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I know RogueWave (Roger) towed an open trailer with a V8 Excursion for about a year.

His only complaint was going up hills which he stated it was a dog especially compared to my TBSS.

He just replaced with a used Dodge Ram Truck which he has no complaints about.

I will find out the year of the Excursion for you.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:21 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

A coworker in PA had one.

He really liked it. It was kinda the 'bus' when the group went out to lunch

The only bugaboo was the ABS system.
We pulled it apart one weekend to replace the controller.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:34 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

My little brother had an '05 that he lifted 5" and ran 35" tires on. He spent about $7500 modding the tranny and engine, and could tow his 29' toy hauler with 4 quads in it and get about 16mpg - pretty awesome. It was a great rig, he sold it to buy an F450 which hauls anything in the world, but gets about 9mpg loaded!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:50 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

I looked for about 7 months to find a Ford Excursion ( 'Eddie Bauer turbo diesel) and was able to buy a 2005 - the last year they made it. Have had it since 4/06. Mine actually has the 6 liter engine, runs great, and even gives me between 14 - 18 mpg with a 7,000 lb trailer/car behind me - depending, of course, on how fast I'm driving. OK - so diesel fuel continues to be a little more pricey than gas, but I'm betting that this workhorse engine will have a very long life as long as I take care of it

Proceeded to put over 60K miles on it traveling all over the place with my Z06 on a trailer. there are few times when towing that I can even tell the loaded trailer is back there!

Another perk over a truck - I can lock all my track gear up in the back while traveling and not have to worry about it. Love it !

Last edited by ERND IT; 11-20-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:31 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

anyone you know have a tourage diesel to tow?

they have some great motors on them and are coming down in price
Old 11-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Woods
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
anyone you know have a tourage diesel to tow?

they have some great motors on them and are coming down in price
Are you talking about a VW? Stay on topic or start a Tourage tread
Old 11-22-2008, 10:32 AM
MazdaRob
Instructor

A buddy of mine uses an '01 Scursion w/7.3L diesel. Tows no problem, gets 20+ mpg around town, about 14-15 towing 24' closed trailer, and doubles as a bus/hotel storage unit.

Comfortable and runs great.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:13 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
I know RogueWave (Roger) towed an open trailer with a V8 Excursion for about a year.

His only complaint was going up hills which he stated it was a dog especially compared to my TBSS.

He just replaced with a used Dodge Ram Truck which he has no complaints about.

I will find out the year of the Excursion for you.
You're fired bob, thats an expedition. They're talking the big boy truck.

I test drove a V10 gasser with like 10k miles on it (was shoppign for a diesel but thats what they had in stock and pretty much handed me the keys adn said get lost) big truck, nice enough truck, but the V10 sucks (I've used buddy's F350s with V10's, 6.0 power strokes, and 7.3 powerstrokes, I like the 6.0 more for teh diesels and the gasser sucks) I just foudn the ride very unforgiving unloaded. I planned to daily drive the vehicle and use it for work besides weekend tow duty. Also found the interior a bit plain in the fords, but thats fords...

in the end I wound up picking up a new 3/4 ton suburban with a 6.0 (would have preferred a diesel, or even a 8.1) and I can't complain, its not the most powerful, but gets it done with a 24 ft enclosed, doesn't complain at all about the weight (I've towed over capacity numerous times) and its a good old chevy. Its smaller (relatively in comparison, I wouldn't call it small) than the excursion.

The explanation as to the excursion's rougher ride as compared to a F250 which its based off of has to do with teh springs. They're a higher rating but less arch to keep load rating up, while keeping overall vehicle height down (for soccer moms) causing a rougher ride. Its a common swap to put the pickup springs into teh excursions and supposedly teh ride improves as a result. Went onto some of the RV/camping forums where people are towing big to get opinions of the sub vs. excursion. Was told if you NEED a diesel get teh excursion, if you can tolerate a gasser's lesser power and economy but want a nicer ride, nicer interior, go for the suburban.

But for big towing SUV's (which pickups don't exactly work out at work for me) those are your two options.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Lola
Heel & Toe

I love my 01 but i am getting 16.9 highway with no trailer and 8.9 with a 2-car 28' enclosed trailer. It does tow it just fine...
Old 12-03-2008, 08:00 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They work fine I have a 04 6.0 plenty of power but it does not handle like a dooley or a 3/4 ton. Totally smokes a V-10 Ford gasser if you have diesel 6.0. I get 15 towing and can get 23 @ 55 mph highway. 44 gallon tank is great also. I have 55,000 on mine. Few sensor problems that caused check engine light to pop on. You need bigger sways and shocks to make it decent. To make it really great it needs a spring swap.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody use an Excursion as their tow vehicle?

Quick Reply: Anybody use an Excursion as their tow vehicle?