Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Racing Vettes (SCCA to NASA)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:06 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Cross Racing Vettes (SCCA to NASA)

All,

The SCCA is making a few changes that may make racing both SCCA and NASA easier:

Touring One (T1): the Viper has already lost 100 lbs to 3600. This is in line with what I ran my car at the NASA Nationals with a T1-spec motor.

The C5 Corvette appears to be losing some weight as well, going from 3280 min weight to 3180-3200. To help accomplish this it also appears that the SCCA is finally going to allow interiors to be removed from Touring cars.

These changes hep make it easier for a T1 to ST2 cross over, and then back again.

B Prepared/Super Touring Over: these are World Challenge-style cars. SCCA has moved the model year eligibility back to 1985 to allow older cars.

Corvettes (C5 and C6) run at 3100 lbs with a LS6-style motor. I think engine mods are pretty open (ported cylinder heads) but the camshaft is limited to .600" lift. DOT tires are required, but brakes and suspension is "open."

The Viper runs a 60mm restrictor plate and at 3300 lbs. Again, suspension and brakes are open and a max .600" lift cam is required.

I think the possiblity to a STO to ST1 cross over is very possible.

There are a number of good places to run Corvettes (and Vipers ) starting in 2009. Hope to see ya out there! I will be running T1/ST2 again!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:56 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Hey Dave! I, for one am VERY GLAD that we'll finally be able to pull our interiors out. Mine hasn't caught fire... yet... but, I'd rather have it out before it does!

As far as 3200 pounds - I'd love to get there, not sure the interior changes will get me that far down. But, I think I can get close. It will make the T1 car a little more competitive in ST2 for sure - can't wait!

Hope to see you out in sunny CA for a beer that I owe ya!
Old 12-02-2008, 11:56 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

That is the best news I've heard. I hate interiors and I would love to play more with the suspension and those crappy C5 brake calipers. When will those rules be published and in stone for the SCCA 2009 GCR?
Old 12-03-2008, 12:04 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will BP/STO be a National class?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:26 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

David do you mean B Production (SCCA) to STU ( NASA ) ??

Great idea
Old 12-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
David do you mean B Production (SCCA) to STU ( NASA ) ??
No.......the SCCA has changed the name from BP to STO.
The cars that run STO will run ST1 in NASA.
I plan on running my car in both series again this year.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:51 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Awesome news. Sounds like SCCA is looking at some changes that have been needed for a while which is why it sounds like more people were gravitating towards NASA instead.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Can any of you SCCA guys give a ruling on whether the headlights and related motors/brackets are needed to stay within the rules of T1?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:04 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Racer-38
No.......the SCCA has changed the name from BP to STO.
The cars that run STO will run ST1 in NASA.
I plan on running my car in both series again this year.
Do the STO cars meet the 5.5:1 ratio?

and where will the SCCA ST cars run? The few that I have seen also would fit into NASA ST1.

SCCA should just change all the class names to use the same as NASA.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:27 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon
Can any of you SCCA guys give a ruling on whether the headlights and related motors/brackets are needed to stay within the rules of T1?
pretty sure they are.

now whether the need to work, im a little fuzzy on.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:35 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Falcon
Yes, the headlights and assemblies need to be in place; working? I have never seen them tested. I ran my first season in the Viper with the headlights taped over, and it was never a problem.

STO and STU (Super Touring Under, old D Prepared) are National classes.

Again, this really opens up the possibilities of both groups (SCCA and NASA) racing in either series. Build you car to suit both and double your opportunities.

For Championships there will be some "maximizing" needed, especially in the more liberal rules set of NASA.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:39 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

SCCA should just change all the class names to use the same as NASA.
That's funny! But a really good idea.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Now will some of the NASA boys go play in SCCA ? I think more SCCA boys will play in NASA. example the TCC guys who came to Mid Ohio.

Many of the ST2 cars have aero attachments, no headlights, no passenger seat, aftermarket long tub headers and other things. Can these cars go straight into SCCA T1?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:12 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Many of the ST2 cars have aero attachments, no headlights, no passenger seat, aftermarket long tub headers and other things. Can these cars go straight into SCCA T1?
No, that makes them a STO car.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:09 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Soound like the fun is about to increase
Old 12-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Yall are going to make me get a T1 car.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:30 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
No, that makes them a STO car.
Then the ST2 cars will be under powered in STO ?

Wonder how many ST2 guys then will go to SCCA if they are put into STO vs T1 ?

Get notified of new replies

To Cross Racing Vettes (SCCA to NASA)

Old 12-04-2008, 10:35 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Then the ST2 cars will be under powered in STO ?

Wonder how many ST2 guys then will go to SCCA if they are put into STO vs T1 ?

Not many unless they are testing or breaking a new motor in or something!

NASA is looking better and better everyday to me being there is more of a Corvette family there.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:16 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

SCCA ITE/ITO is also a place where Corvettes run which do not comply with T1 rules. NASA ST1 and ST2 cars can also run in SCCA ITE/ITO. Some SCCA regions use the ITE designation, some use ITO. (Please don't ask why!) Although TCC is an SCCA class, it is not recognized by all regions we run in. In regions who do not show the TCC class for registration, we register in ITE. This applies to the Traditional TCC class as well as the Prepared TCC class.

Ed
Old 12-04-2008, 02:18 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris Ingle and I had an opportunity to speak with Peter Keane from the SCCA comp board after the ARRC race in Atlanta. He told us about the new T1 rules and that BP was no longer going to have restrictor plates required. This is all great news but does open a new can of worms as far as TCC is concerned.

First, let me clear up a couple of things. T1 is going to lower the weight and will allow the removal of the passenger seat, carpet, and interior to accomplish this. However, the rest of the car is still stock, no ground affects, brake upgrades, headers, must be stock engine. They are still trying to get the drysump approved but is not at this time. They said they don't see the need, even though I believe 3 engines blew up at the Runoffs. Most NASA ST2 cars will not meet these requirements. Where they can now run is in BP. SCCA BP rules are more like World Challenge rules. Is a NASA ST2 competitive to win in BP..... probably not. NASA ST1 cars could be except that in order to have a winning ST1 car like Popp or Pfadt you need to make 575 RWHP. That means larger cubic inch motors and that is not allowed in BP where the stock Bore (+.030 I believe), stroke, heads, and intake are required.

As you can see, it still isn't going to be easy to win in both organizations. T1 will be very competitive in ST2 but it will be hard to overcome a well setup ST2 car with ground affects and brake upgrades such as Forbis. A BP legal car like Mayer, Lex, Gelston, or mine are fast but not a real threat to win in ST1.

We at TCC had come to the conclusion that we were going to adapt the NASA rules next season and try and draw more people in. Our classes would be TCC1 and TCC2 and would mimmick the NASA rules except for one. We believe that the 5.5 to 1 ratio is too small and is asking us to build unreliable motors. We want it to be 6.3 so we could build engines with 475 to 500 rwhp that are more reliable, and still weigh 3000 to 3100 pounds. These engines can be built with stock bore and stroke, heads and intakes and would be legal for BP as well. We are not asking NASA to change their rules and when we run with them, we will still be ST1 and ST2. The ST1 cars may not be able to win against a true ST1 car like Popp or Pfadt, so be it.

I think everyone should get over the whole NASA, SCCA thing, including the organizations them selves. Covering the decals on the cars and patchs on the suits is silly. Both are great organizations and neither is likely to go away. We should all "just get along".

As I said earlier, TCC is not going to ask NASA to change their rules. Interstingly enough though, I spoke to Aaron Pfadt this past week about this issue and he said he would be in favor of raising that number as well. He also thought Danny Popp would be as well (Danny, please weigh in) and that if the last 2 ST1 champions were to weigh in on the subject, maybe it could happen. Imagine a TCC race schedule that had the June Sprints, the Runoffs, the NASA National Championships, and the ARRC in it!!!! Throw in about 20 Corvettes and that would really be fun.

Sorry for being so long winded, I have a passion for Corvette Racing!
Robert Finlayson
TCC 59

Quick Reply: Cross Racing Vettes (SCCA to NASA)