Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 spec engine confirmed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:46 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default F1 spec engine confirmed.

F1 spec engine confirmed.
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...ne-supply.html

FIA confirm Cosworth engine supply
* Friday, 5 December 2008

In a letter sent to F1 Constructors Max Mosley outlines new engine regulations.

After much sabre rattling from both teams and the FIA, it was announced today that an exclusive agreement has been reached with Cosworth, Ricardo and Xtrac to supply a standard power-train in F1 from 2010 onwards.

The engine ia to be a development of the Cosworth CA, 2.4l V8 engine developed by the famous Northamptonshire company and raced by Williams in 2006. In race specification (opposed to qualifiying trim) it produced in the region of 750bhp, so would be well matched with existing power units.

Max Mosley also stated that teams would not be forced to use the engine, with the option of either producing their own version or retaining their existing units, provided there was parity in performance.

All teams however will be required to use the standard 'XR' transmission.

Extract from Max Mosley's letter to teams;
The cost to each team taking up this option will be an up-front payment of £1.68M (€1.97M) and then £5.49M (€6.42M) per season for each of the three years of the supply contract (2010, 2011, 2012). This price is based on four teams signing up and includes full technical support at all races and official tests, plus 30,000 km of testing. The annual cost will reduce if more teams take up the option, for example to £4.99M (€5.84M) per team with eight teams. It will further reduce if less than 30,000 km of testing is required. Neither engine nor transmission will be badged.

As suggested in my letter of 18 November, teams participating in the 2010 Championship would then have three options:

: the above;

: the right to build an engine themselves, identical to the above, having been supplied with all the necessary technical information;

: the right to continue to use their existing engine, with the current ban on development and requirement for engine parity still in place (noting that the engine supplied will become the reference engine for output and other performance indicators and no engine will be permitted to exceed those indicators).

Teams opting for one of the latter two options would nevertheless use the XR transmission.

The key aim of the FIA is to massively reduce running costs in F1 to try and guide the sport succesfully through the current financial difficulties. This would hopefully create a stable basis on which the sport could build once the global economic situation improves.

This could ultimately lead to more radical regulations, including the possibility of a totally new power unit by 2013.

Max Mosley states that that the cost calculations for the spec engine are based on at least four teams signing up to the deal and Racecar believes he is close to having this number secured.

Further extract from Max Mosley's letter.

In combination with the program of cost reductions for the chassis, race weekend and team home base outlined in my letter of 18 November, these arrangements have a number of advantages. These include:

: Enabling the independent teams to survive in the current difficult economic climate;

: Facilitating the replacement of a manufacturer team if (as seems likely) we suffer additional
losses;

: Establishing Formula One while new road-relevant technologies are introduced together with
a state-of-the-art high tech engine, which could be in Formula One as early as 2013
should the car industry by then be in a position to fund its development;

: Avoiding any change to the Formula One spectacle and keeping the technology at current
levels.

These arrangements are on the basis that at least four teams enter into contracts to use the
power train described above, and do so no later than close of business (5pm CET) on Thursday
11 December 2008. In the event of fewer than four teams signing up, the FIA may still proceed but the price on offer will vary. The supply contracts will be with Cosworth but in the first instance teams are requested to make their intentions known to my office.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:36 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesnt that mean that Ferrari is going to leave F1?
Old 12-05-2008, 07:42 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

It's a spec engine, but they DON'T have to buy it.

Which makes not sense!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't that mean Alonso is going to leave F1?
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/n...ast_straw.html

You can build your own spec engine as long as has parity with a 2006 Cosworth(which was a backmarker in 2006!) I have a feeling Ferrari and Mercedes are going to build their own "spec" engines.

Last edited by Sidney004; 12-05-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Another one bites the dust.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:29 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WBHighwind
Doesnt that mean that Ferrari is going to leave F1?
and BMW ?

Did not both companies said they would re evaluate their need for F1 if spec engine is required?
Old 12-06-2008, 08:57 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

what a crock of ****.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:59 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I know I sound like a broken record, but why does every sanctioning body seem to think that spec series are the solution? It is a downward spiral:
1) We need to cut costs, only the big teams win.
2) Pass rules that limit innovation
3) #2 gets bypassed by smart people or same big teams
4) More rules, limit testing
5) Less interest by the fans, less income for the series/teams
6) More cost cutting "solutions"
7) Even less fan interest
8) Spec cars
9) Totally boring, fans dwindle to irrelevance
10) Series dies
Old 12-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I know I sound like a broken record, but why does every sanctioning body seem to think that spec series are the solution? It is a downward spiral:
1) We need to cut costs, only the big teams win.
2) Pass rules that limit innovation
3) #2 gets bypassed by smart people or same big teams
4) More rules, limit testing
5) Less interest by the fans, less income for the series/teams
6) More cost cutting "solutions"
7) Even less fan interest
8) Spec cars
9) Totally boring, fans dwindle to irrelevance
10) Series dies
Remember way back when you were excited about the upcoming season to see what the latest innovations would be? Even happned in N-***-Car.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:35 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Sadly, yes. I did not go to Loudon to see the IRL cars even though it is 40 minutes away and I was offered free tix and pit passes. I USED to get really excited to go to the LBGP and take a long lens and try to get a sneak pic of some new cool thing that Penske would come out with. Only ALMS has any interest for me anymore.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Initially I thought this sounded crazy. But, after some thought it's no different than early 1980s back to the 1960s ( Cosworth DFV). Cosworth will develope and costs will be spread out. Basically it provides and engine for privateers. As the car cos. flee F1 teams will need an engine source.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:34 PM
jrmotorsports55
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Formula One is turning in to a joke. Bernie and Max are destroying the sport. They really need to be overrun, or the top teams need to leave and form their own series.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:58 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Bink
Initially I thought this sounded crazy. But, after some thought it's no different than early 1980s back to the 1960s ( Cosworth DFV). Cosworth will develope and costs will be spread out. Basically it provides and engine for privateers. As the car cos. flee F1 teams will need an engine source.
It is different. The 3.0L rule did not mandate how many cylinders, so you had Ferraris with boxer 12's, Matras, Honda's etc. In addition, the chassis rules were far more open with things like the very innovative 6 wheel Tyrrell P34 which I think is very cool:
Old 12-06-2008, 03:29 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Just bring back stock blocks
Old 12-06-2008, 03:47 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Just bring back stock blocks

And notice that it has a real suspension too! Watch a modern F1 car and most of the suspension is the tire sidewall.

Last edited by ghoffman; 12-07-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ghoffman
It is different. The 3.0L rule did not mandate how many cylinders, so you had Ferraris with boxer 12's, Matras, Honda's etc. In addition, the chassis rules were far more open with things like the very innovative 6 wheel Tyrrell P34 which I think is very cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4sKD...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhEWx...eature=related

Last edited by Bink; 12-06-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

F1 has to be the "most boring show on earth" as far as racing goes.. There is no passing and the while the cars are going fast, there is no real competition.

If you like it for the technical sophistication of the cars, which I do, then what's left if they all have the same engines...

In the mid-60's F1 cars were absolutely not the fastest cars in the world, the 1.5 liter formula 1 cars were a good bit slower than F5000, and the big engine sports cars. The sport wasn't a big money maker back then either. They want the cars to be the fastest thing out there so they can hype it as being the pinnacle of the sport but they are now in a catch 22. Speed costs money, and more speed costs more money, how fast can you afford to go?

Slowing down the cars will save money, but if there are other cars out there (like the IRL cars) that are faster, can they really say that F1 is the pinnacle of auto racing?

I'd like to see a new formula with no wings allowed, no ground effects, no traction control, and no pneumatic valve systems. If you did that the rev limits would drop and that alone would save a huge amount of development money. BTW are there any cars that are sold to the public that have pneumatic valve springs? I didn't think so...

Motorcycle racing is plenty exciting and they don't have downforce, but would you be able to sell a no downforce series to the public as the ultimate motor sport?

We will just have to wait for the "evil dwarf" to croak before we see a good racing series.

I did see that Bernie has to guarantee 20 cars on the grid in his contracts for next year, so Honda backing out could cost him a bundle...

Last edited by Solofast; 12-06-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To F1 spec engine confirmed.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:36 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Some interesting thoughts over in OT

Originally Posted by ApexOversteer
Perhaps run a larger fuel tank, and then award constructor points for remaining fuel at the end of the race for the top 3 finishers. That way there is a reward for fuel efficiency, but to get it you have to achieve a podium finish...
Old 12-06-2008, 06:44 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Thank you! How freakin' cool is that car! How do you decide the aglinement on it? I was (am) a big fan of Patrick Depailler. If anyone hears of a vintage race that might have a P34 PLEASE let me know! If I win the Powerball I am buynig a P34 and an F-4 Phantom.

Last edited by ghoffman; 12-06-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:37 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

A sad day for racing....

Quick Reply: F1 spec engine confirmed.