Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Z06 brakes for track ?

Old 12-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Default 2007 Z06 brakes for track ?

I just did some new mods on my Z

Right now she has performance friction floating rotors, porterfield pads but stock calipers and lines

I plan on tracking her a lot in 09,

Should I keep the stock calipers or upgrade to Brembos or something else ?

Also how important is it to upgrade the wheel bearings ?

I'll be running CCW wheels w Hoosiers on the track. She has Pfadt coilovers

I added a breathless carbon splitter for more downforce and the GTR hood may add a little downforce and will certainly get the heat out

Thanks

Old 12-07-2008, 10:25 AM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change the pads to dedicated track pads like PFC01/06, Carbotech XP16/XP12, etc.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:16 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recomend that you buy our 2 piece front rotors and a set of Cobalt Friction pads and then spend the $5000 you save on more seat time. We make a 2 piece front rotor using Coleman Racing rotors amd machine the aluminum hats ourselves. Our rotors are 100% made in the USA, they are a direct replacement, slotted only - no holes, they are diredtional, vented correctly, and weigh 9.75 pounds less then the stock front rotor.

Cobalt Friction brake pads are the best pads out there. I have been racing Corvettes in SCCA and NASA for 12 years now and I have never experienced braking performance like this before. Unbelievable stopping performance, no brake fade, last far longer then the competition, and are not hard on the rotors. We have put this combination on several cars and all have been amazed at the performance.

We have the rotors and pads in stock, give us a call if interested.
Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
630-844-0089
Old 12-08-2008, 08:38 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

There is no performance problem running the OEM hardware, but I'd add brake duct extensions. You will burn through pads and rotors quickly (almost as fast as fuel), but they will hold up fine for you.

A rotor upgrade as suggested is an option depending on price.......I can't speak for these (Coleman makes great rotors), but some of the rotors on the market just don't hold up much better than stock, yet cost significantly more!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:39 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

btw, that vented hood and splitter could reduce front lift enough to cause a handling deficiency in the rear......you may need a full-width spoiler or wing if you don't already have it!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
btw, that vented hood and splitter could reduce front lift enough to cause a handling deficiency in the rear......you may need a full-width spoiler or wing if you don't already have it!
Yes I know, I ran out of time and $ to add a rear diffuser and a C6R wing before my tack date so I will be very conscious of that
Old 12-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
I have never experienced braking performance like this before. Unbelievable stopping performance, no brake fade, last far longer then the competition, and are not hard on the rotors. We have put this combination on several cars and all have been amazed at the performance.
Do you use stock calipers ? Any issues w the calipers ? Do you sell steel braided brake lines and or brake ducts ?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:04 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

OT but any more pics of your interior, that center consol and steering wheel look trick.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:11 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The OEM calipers perform well, they are very stiff and large enough to dissipate heat fairly well. However, the padlets are thin and just don't last as long as the pads in many other setups.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:40 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you already have tried rotors and pads I think Brembo is going to be your best move. Many of our customers went the pad route first only to move up to Brembo Gran Turismo and were extremely pleased.

Most of the customers who tracked the car said they were overheating the stockers and having to install new pads every single weekend at the track.

Brembo offers gigantic calipers capable of producing much more force. Big huge confidence inspiring pedal.

Also since you're going to CCW you can even upgrade to the 15" Brembo GT and blow away all the other brake systems available now.

I've had other OEM Brembo setups and they can't even compare to the 15" Brembo GT Kits.

Don't forget the McLaren fully floating hardware that eliminates piston knockback. Maintaining the big strong pedal from warmup to the final lap. You'll have more confidence and performance to go deeper and later to decrease your lap times.

Tremendous weight savings also with the two piece Floating rotors.

It's a great system to own. Please PM me for pricing if you're interested.

Mike

Hope this helps. Good Luck
Old 12-08-2008, 11:47 AM
0MTI RACING
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please view this video on Corvette aerodynamics. I can send you a proper rear spoiler.
http://www.mtiracing.com/artmaverick...kagepromo.html

MTI Racing has perfected the Corvette aerodynamics in the wind tunnel. This vigorous testing is paramount to distinguish an MTI Racing piece with true scientific function, from other pieces that look like they work based on "guesstimates".

We have them in stock and can ship today (12-08-08).

Old 12-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Originally Posted by PA Z06
OT but any more pics of your interior, that center consol and steering wheel look trick.
Thanks, here you go. The Caravaggio race seats are surprisingly comfortable. I like them better than stock

Some more photos here

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...s-awesome.html

Old 12-09-2008, 08:04 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
Thanks, here you go. The Caravaggio race seats are surprisingly comfortable. I like them better than stock

Some more photos here

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...s-awesome.html

wow amazing interior, Its almost too nice
Old 12-09-2008, 09:49 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Whichever system you go with make sure you look at the cost of consumables and if you like a kit talk to people who have installed the kit and make sure it doesn't change your pedal height. Cost of consumables is a great way to compair one kit to another over the long haul.
Wheel bearing are wear items just like rotors and pads, the two piece rotors you're running will help keep some of the heat out of the bearings, just make sure you check them everytime you swap out your wheels. Check at 12 and 6 o'clock to see if it's a wheel bearing 3 and 9 o'clock to see if it's a tie rod end.
When doing your ducting wrapping the tie rod ends will help them last a little longer as well.
Joel
Old 12-09-2008, 12:41 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Whichever system you go with make sure you look at the cost of consumables and if you like a kit talk to people who have installed the kit and make sure it doesn't change your pedal height. Cost of consumables is a great way to compair one kit to another over the long haul.
I agree and feel that this is one area where some of the different big brake kits really differ. Be sure to look at the cost of replacement rotors or replacement friction rings with new fasteners. Pads too.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:52 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been selling a lot of our AP packages lately. Mostly due to pad selection, rotor life-cost and our master that flat out works. We run a 14 inch front and either stock rear or a 13.25 AP rear setup. (with steel e-brake drum) The 7793 pad shape has been around and other companies use it, that way more pad companies are willing to build the whole line up. We have been selling, racing and installing AP for about 11 years now.

The stock system with some upgrades will work fine also, if you aren't too heavy on the brake. They will still hold up they will just end up costing more and more the longer you have them on. I have had reports of less then a day on a set of pads, and rotor life is very up and down depending on the driver.

if you have any other questions about our setup please let me know.

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Old 12-10-2008, 10:00 AM
0MTI RACING
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another alternative is to convert your existing calipers from a "padlet" design to a larger single-plate pad design.

This would benefit you by...
a) Keeping your existing calipers
b) Running a variety of compounds for street or race.
c) Keeping your existing rotors
d) Save some $

We have successfully run these on track cars with Hoosiers and are working great!

We sell these pads in ceramic street compund for $269 fronts / $228 rear.
Race compounds in several bite levels, add approx $50 front or rear.
Cryogenically treated factory rotors $195 each front
Attached Images    

Get notified of new replies

To 2007 Z06 brakes for track ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Z06 brakes for track ?