Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm back!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:32 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default I'm back!

After blowing motor at VIR in Sept and missing all the Oct and Nov track days, I finally made it back to the track. New 402 is pretty strong. Here is the dyno sheet for it:

[IMG][/IMG]

Motor is an AL 402 from TSP with their MS3 cam, Patriot heads, ported FAST intake w/LS2 tb, Halltech cai, FLP longtubes and Bassani catback. Numbers came out a little lower than tuner and builder expected. Tune is ultr conservative with like 24* timing, but I took it to VIR last Monday for about 3 hours of track time. It is hard to believe it is 90rwhp less than sc motor I had. Motor did fine except for some oil temp issues. Don't know if it was the non-sythetic oil or just the nature of the motor. Either way, oil cooler will be my winter project. It is just so nice to be back on the track instead of reading how much fun ya'll were having.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on getting her back together.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:30 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats man. I remember reading about your misfortune. glad to hear you're back in the saddle so quickly.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:18 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It was a lot of work and took a lot of my life, but I am glad I did it. I learned so much and saved some money. That being said, I ain't doing it again. Hopefully, I have a rock solid dd and track car that will last a few years. I will miss the supercharged motor, but hopefully this will be less maintenance. The guys at work say I will have to find another way to compensate for my small *****.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Glad to see that the car is up and running. Maybe we'll see you at an event next year. Didn't know I had you on tape ,till I transferred footage to DVD. Caught a few frames of you returning to the paddock with smoke pouring out the exhaust. Will make you a copy and get it to you sometime next year.

Gene
Old 12-12-2008, 03:00 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 71corv
Glad to see that the car is up and running. Maybe we'll see you at an event next year. Didn't know I had you on tape ,till I transferred footage to DVD. Caught a few frames of you returning to the paddock with smoke pouring out the exhaust. Will make you a copy and get it to you sometime next year.

Gene

Hey man -

I was hoping you would make it out last week. It was a blast after the track dried. The dvd would be awesome. No one believes me when I tell them how bad it was smoking. I have the Mar 1st on my calendar with Trackdaze. It is nice not to have to worry about sc issues anymore. Now maybe I can spend some time on driver mod. Look forward to seeing you at the track.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:54 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Will try to make the DVD over the holiday. Once it's done I will get your address and send it to you. Have a safe and happy holiday.

Gene
Old 12-13-2008, 12:28 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is a quick vid from VIR:

Old 12-13-2008, 10:01 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Good to see you got her running again so quickly! How does the 402 compare to the old supercharged engine on the track?

Old 12-13-2008, 11:56 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey man, I came by you car a couple of times to say "Hi", but you were not there. The low end torque is much better, which makes the lap times faster. The fastest I ever saw at the end of the backstrech w/sc was 147, but I was consistently hitting 149 with the new motor. It doesn't have that rocket sled feel from 120 to 145, but it is much quicker from 100 to 145, if that makes sense. I had oil temp issues so I had to stay in 4th most of the time. I was hoping to follow you some to work on my lines, but every time you passed me, I was in cool down mode. There is plenty left in car, I just need to get more comfortable with it. I was afraid of spinning it out or hurting the motor.

One bad side effect of new motor - with sc, you never felt the big hp until you were really in it, so no big deal for dd, but this motor . . . it makes you want to get in it all the time. Have to be careful. Hope to see you at the track.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:16 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good to have you back
Old 12-13-2008, 05:47 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

I couldn't find you in the pits either - it was a busy day, was out on-track for well over 2 hours with my student, then another 3 hours in my car. I came prepared for rain, but the day turned out surprisingly well after that first morning session. Glad to hear the 402 is alive and well. Will probably see you up there in a few months with Trackdaze.

Originally Posted by waddisme
Hey man, I came by you car a couple of times to say "Hi", but you were not there. The low end torque is much better, which makes the lap times faster.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm back!

Quick Reply: I'm back!