Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans-Am Series, 2009

Old 12-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Todd Benne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans-Am Series, 2009

2009 will see the return of the SCCA Pro Racing Trans-Am Series.

For 2009 the series title sponsor will be Muscle Milk from the Cytosport company.

Currently there is a five race schedule with an additional three races TBA.

Road Atlanta March 21-22(SCCA National)
VIR April 17-19(SCCA NAtional)
Mosport May 15-17(Victoria Day w/World Challenge)
Portland June 12-14(Rose Cup)
Watkins Glen July 11-12(SCCA National)

Most of these events will be held in conjunction with an SCCA National.

Rules package will utilize the current SCCA GT1 rules.

The series web site, still under consrtuction, is sccatrans-am.com

We at Fix Motorsports look forward to a season of spirited on track competition. Should you find yourself at any of the events, stop by our trailer and say hello.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Todd,
That is great news
I went to the web site, and as you said...nothing yet.
So are we going back to the GT1 cars that were field fillers in the TA's last years. OR...will they be the new mustangs, camaro and challengers?? Because that would be soooooooooo cool.
I'm racing at both the Road Atlanta and VIR nationals (probably in the same group) . I can't wait to see this
Old 12-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Todd Benne
Instructor

ORLANDO, Fla. (Dec. 11, 2009) – After a two-year hiatus since its last Champion was crowned, SCCA’s Trans-Am® Series will return in 2009, with a planned eight-race schedule for the series which held its first race in 1966.

Five of the eight races were announced today at the Performance Racing Industry show, in Orlando, Fla., as well as the series’ title sponsor for 2009—Muscle Milk®.

A joint venture between Sports Car Club of America, Inc. and subsidiary SCCA Pro Racing, the 2009 Muscle Milk® SCCA® Trans-Am® Series will consist of six events in conjunction with some of the biggest SCCA Club Racing events across the country, creating powerhouse SCCA weekends, and two key professional events. Technical rules will be based on the SCCA Club Racing GT-1 class.

“There is a dedicated group of Trans-Am loyalists who have been working to make this happen since our last licensing agreement to operate the series expired in 2005,” SCCA President & CEO Jim Julow said. “The re-birth of Trans-Am begins in 2009 with a grassroots-based series that has the potential to grow in the coming years into a full professional racing series.

“On behalf of SCCA and SCCA Pro Racing, I would like to thank Jim Derhaag for his tireless efforts to help put some of the critical pieces together and Muscle Milk for coming on board as title sponsor to make the series a reality.”

The series will begin its 42nd Championship season March 21-22 at Road Atlanta as part of the Atlanta Region SCCA’s season-opening National race. The series has previously visited Road Atlanta 12 times from 1973 through 2002, with race winners including former series Champions Peter Gregg, Pete Halsmer, Dorsey Schroeder, Tommy Kendall, Scott Pruett and Boris Said.

One month later, April 17-19, the series heads from the rolling hills of Georgia North to the rolling hills of Virginia, as part of North Carolina Region’s Oak Tree Double National weekend at VIRginia International Raceway. It is only the third time the historic series has visited the historic racetrack, joining 1966 and 2002.

The series treks north of the border May 15-17 to return to Mosport International Raceway for the 25th time as part of the Victoria Day Weekend with the SPEED World Challenge Championships—reuniting SCCA Pro Racing’s top series from the last 20 years. Pruett won the last series appearance at Mosport in 2003.

The series’ lone visit to the left coast is a big one, joining the Rose Cup Festival June 12-14 at Portland International Raceway. The huge, traditional event played host to many Trans-Am Classic races, the last being in 1995, won by Ron Fellows. From 1975-2005, the race circuit held 21 Trans-Am Series races.

One month later, it’s back east to the Finger Lakes Region’s National at historic Watkins Glen Raceway, July 11-12. From 1968-1998, The Glen held 25 Trans-Am Series races ranging from feature events to participants in the 6 Hours of the Glen to the opening act before the NASCAR Cup race.

Three additional races will be announced shortly.

“We’re excited about the return of Trans-Am and are pleased to be able to give something back to the series that has provided so much excitement for race fans throughout the years,” said 1978 series Champion Greg Pickett, founder of CytoSport Inc., the makers of Muscle Milk.

All events are expected to be approximately 90 miles in length with no pit stops. Races in conjunction with Club Racing events will have qualifying and race sessions separate from the regular GT-1 competition grouping, so drivers have the potential to run both the GT-1 Club Racing event and the Trans-Am Series event on the same weekend.

History
The Muscle Milk SCCA Trans-Am Series dates back to its first season in 1966. From 1966-1970, the series held a Championship to crown a Manufacturers’ Champion. In 1971, a Drivers’ Championship was formally adopted, with both Drivers’ and Manufacturers’ Championships being awarded through the 2005 season. The series was split into two classes from 1976-1979, crowning Champions in each division. In 2006, two additional races were held, although no Manufacturers’ Champion was recognized.

Throughout the years, some of the greatest names in motorsports have participated in the Trans-Am Series. Backdating the Drivers’ Championship to the inaugural season, 30 different drivers took titles, with multiple Championships being won by Paul Gentilozzi, Tommy Kendall, Mark Donohue, Scott Pruett, Wally Dallenbach Jr., George Follmer, Peter Gregg, Horst Kwech, Scott Sharp and Bob Tullius. Gentilozzi leads all drivers, with 31 career wins.

SCCA both owned and operated the Trans-Am Series, either internally or through its SCCA Pro Racing subsidiary, from 1966 through 2000. In 2001, SCCA began a series of outside licensing agreements for the series from 2001-2006. In its 41 seasons, the series held 446 separate races.

Regulations and Administration
Announcements regarding regulations and series administration will be made shortly, although technical regulations will be based on current GT-1 rules from the Club Racing General Competition Rules (GCR) with additional potential safety requirements.

Club Racing events will be operated primarily by the individual SCCA Regions, with alterations to the protest and appeals process to be similar to that of Pro Racing events, managed by the SCCA National Staff. A dedicated technical inspector will be at each Trans-Am Series event, regardless of Club or Pro Racing sanction.

A series Web site is being established at www.sccatrans-am.com. Future announcements will be placed there and at www.scca.com.

2009 MUSCLE MILK SCCA TRANS-AM SERIES SCHEDULE*

Date Venue With
March 21-22 Road Atlanta, Braselton, Ga. Atlanta National
April 17-19 VIRginia International Raceway, Alton, Va. North Carolina National
May 15-17 Mosport International Raceway, Canada SPEED World Challenge
June 12-14 Portland International Raceway, Portland, Ore. Oregon Region National
July 11-12 Watkins Glen Int'l, Watkins Glen, N.Y. Finger Lakes National

* - Three additional dates to be announced
Old 12-11-2008, 02:56 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my favorites.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Zee Freak
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06

Awsome. Cant wait to see Trans Am back at my home track (PIR).
Old 12-11-2008, 04:59 PM
dsanders
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I was planning on running the VIR and Glen National in 2009. I just hope they split them out of the T1 group.

Dave
#73 T1/TCC
Old 12-11-2008, 05:00 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Excellant!

Glad to see it's return.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Todd Benne
Instructor

Originally Posted by dsanders
Nice! I was planning on running the VIR and Glen National in 2009. I just hope they split them out of the T1 group.

Dave
#73 T1/TCC
All events are expected to be approximately 90 miles in length with no pit stops. Races in conjunction with Club Racing events will have qualifying and race sessions separate from the regular GT-1 competition grouping, so drivers have the potential to run both the GT-1 Club Racing event and the Trans-Am Series event on the same weekend.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:04 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the GT-1 a tube framer, or stock chassis based?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:46 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TLGunman
Is the GT-1 a tube framer, or stock chassis based?
Tube frame
Old 12-11-2008, 08:36 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great to hear! My good friend Amy Ruman who I grew up with since we were 5 still has her SCCA GT1 Corvette (Ex Trans-Am car) ready to roll.

Her father Bob ran for quite a few years and turned it over to her and she ran her 1st Trans-Am race at the Cleveland Grand Prix. Then the series went away shortly after that and she never got another run. She was extremely fast in SCCA National racing setting track records in GT1 all over and winning her division many times. Look for her name at the top of the charts.

Welcome back Trans-Am!

Aaron
Old 12-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Todd Benne
Instructor

I am very familiar with the Racing Rumans, having spent nearly a decade in T-A myself. Amy did well at Cleveland in 2005. I look forward to that Ruman toter home pulling into the T-A paddock in 2009. I can smell Barb's blueberry pancakes already.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:17 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 708 Likes on 489 Posts

This CAN'T be a good time to resurrect Trans-Am, although I wish it the best. When I joined World Challenged in 1994, Trans-Am was the biggest thing around. Factory support, big teams, awesome cars..............THEN the NASTRUCKS came along and sucked all of the money away.

Anyway, with a little patience and a few years to build some good-looking cars and good competition, maybe it can return to glory............!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:14 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bad timing ($) but well wishes. /:\
Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Sweet! Will these races be televised?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:04 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rasrboy
Great to hear! My good friend Amy Ruman who I grew up with since we were 5 still has her SCCA GT1 Corvette (Ex Trans-Am car) ready to roll.

Her father Bob ran for quite a few years and turned it over to her and she ran her 1st Trans-Am race at the Cleveland Grand Prix. Then the series went away shortly after that and she never got another run. She was extremely fast in SCCA National racing setting track records in GT1 all over and winning her division many times. Look for her name at the top of the charts.

Welcome back Trans-Am!

Aaron
Q, I didn't know you and Amy have know each that long, but I am not surprised. Her mom and dad have been so nice to me, especially at last year's Memorial Day weekend at Nelson Ledges. Great family, truly great.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe not the best time to start a race series but by using the format of making GT-1 Club Racers competetive there may be a chance for the series to continue.
I hope it works! Maybe I just an old softie but there is a special place in my heart for the name Trans-Am.
Now GM can come out with a variant of the Camaro with the Trans-Am trim level and SCCA can use the royalities to support the series!

Locke

Get notified of new replies

To Trans-Am Series, 2009

Old 12-12-2008, 10:17 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Q, I didn't know you and Amy have know each that long, but I am not surprised. Her mom and dad have been so nice to me, especially at last year's Memorial Day weekend at Nelson Ledges. Great family, truly great.
Yep! My father raced with Bob back in the days in his old BP 66 Corvette (Which he still has) and Bob had his 67 Coupe (Still has) racer.

Ah, the good old days of running around Nelsons watching my dad & these cars race. Heck, I was practically born at Nelsons.

Aaron
Old 12-18-2008, 03:53 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Sweet! Will these races be televised?
That isn't likely, but IMSA's 2009 Patron GT3 Challenge by Yokohama will have televised races for the first time.

I hope the new Trans-Am Series will eventually use production Camaro, Challengers, and Mustangs. Should someone else besides the SCCA run the Trans-Am Series?

I'm glad some racing will return to Portland, Oregon besides the Rally America Series for 2009.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:11 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

SCCA adds Mid-Ohio and Road Atlanta to Trans-Am lineup

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090123/FREE/901239977

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans-Am Series, 2009