Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have their own tire changing machine/wheel balancer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:57 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default anyone have their own tire changing machine/wheel balancer?

just wondering if anyone has their own machine here??

i have seen some in the $1000 range. seems like it would pay for itself after a few years of racing.

is it all hydraulic or is it necessary to have air hooked up to power them?
Old 12-12-2008, 06:18 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I am planning on getting one for the shop in the semi-near future
Old 12-12-2008, 06:18 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a Coats machine and Wheel balancer. $1000 not bad but what kind is it? air over hydrolic i assume? My machine is a rim clamp bought it as a package deal last summer with the balancer for just a smidge over $2000

In our area Derek i could go with a Coats plenty of places can fix them around here and get parts easier. I can get you a number to a guy that i bought mine from that services them if you want
Old 12-12-2008, 06:21 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by 97C5inSD
i have a Coats machine and Wheel balancer. $1000 not bad but what kind is it? air over hydrolic i assume? My machine is a rim clamp bought it as a package deal last summer with the balancer for just a smidge over $2000

In our area Derek i could go with a Coats plenty of places can fix them around here and get parts easier. I can get you a number to a guy that i bought mine from that services them if you want
Nah not getting one now, maybe next year or so i just remember seeing them on some website i figured down the road it would be worth it at nearly 20-25 to dismount and mount new tires since ya dont purchase the tires from them usually.

then they try to F ya with the dumb nitrogen air crap all the time too

i figure it would save money over time as long as maint on them isnt high
Old 12-12-2008, 06:40 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

well if you can get a used combo setup for 2000-2500 and do it yourself you'll need to change at least 20-25 sets of tires how many years wil it take you to go through that many? granted you may use it more then you think. and you can always charge your buddies half that to do there wheels and tires for them to help offset the cost.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I've been looking at getting a mounter and balancer set as well but the problem is that I can't seem to determine what is a good one.

The last time I had loose tiires mounted it cost me nearly $200. Add to that the hassle and time away from work that it takes to get them to the tire shop, wait, bring them home. Then there are little benefits like the fact that I live on a terrible road and pretty regularly end up with one or more out of balance.

What really pushed me over the edge though was the last time when my tires were mounted backwards on the rim and I didn't notice for a couple months. Two trips and waits at the tire shop for one wheel.

I've been contemplating this set

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AVRI&viewitem=

but I'm not qualified to assess if it will work or how durable it is. I'd love to hear specifics on what others use and will work with a C6Z.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:52 AM
Pontiaker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had one for years, also had one at all the shops I worked at as a Tech for 18 years in the service field. The newer style Rim Clamp are my favorite, are easy to use to dont cost too much. I'll visit this thread later, going to bed now but will be happy to answer questions, etc....
Matt
Old 12-13-2008, 04:53 AM
Skyking1992
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a used John Bean (sold by snap on) rim clamp machine this year. I paid $800 for it. It uses compressed air only - no electric. I mounted five sets of autocross tires this season (khumo/hoosier). The savings is not just the initial cost of mounting tires, but also the convenience of not having to load tires and rims, drop them off at the tire store, another trip to pick them up. I also have flipped several tires (inside/outside)to gain one more weekend - something I might not have done if I was paying someone else to do it. I do not balance my autocross tires, but I'm still keeping my eyes out for a good used balance machine.

If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a tire machine years ago.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Bulitt
Racer

Bought a 4 post lift from Eagle 10 yrs ago and they keep sending me info on their equipment including tire changers and balancers. Don't have a clue if its any good.
http://eagleequip.com/Merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=TC
Old 12-13-2008, 07:46 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Cucchiara
I have had one for years, also had one at all the shops I worked at as a Tech for 18 years in the service field. The newer style Rim Clamp are my favorite, are easy to use to dont cost too much. I'll visit this thread later, going to bed now but will be happy to answer questions, etc....
Matt
I'd love to hear your thoughts on what to look for, particularly for changing tires like the massive run flats on the C6Z.

I see that most folks are buying used ones - where are you finding them?
Old 12-13-2008, 11:29 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

[QUOTE=Skyking1992;1568180850]I bought a used John Bean (sold by snap on) rim clamp machine this year. I paid $800 for it. It uses compressed air only - no electric. QUOTE]

that is the brand i have heard discussed else where and people have had good luck

does it have a balancer too?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:36 PM
samc
Burning Brakes

i picked up a "falco" changer a few years ago, definitely paid for itself already. change tires for friends too. got it from a local equipment co. that used to sell on ebay. looks to be the same as all the chinese models you see around, heck even harbor freight is selling them now. got the balancer from greg smith equipment, looks like they have the same tire changer as well with a different name on it.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:10 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

I have a hunter tc325 all air powered unit. It work awesome. Get the trick tools to help you mount tires so you personally apply little force. I bought mine for racing only. I only use a bubble static balancer. So here are some things that work for me that I first researched.

1) balance your wheels with a dynamic spin balance your wheels with stems only and tap your wheel weights with that metal tape used for ducts at home depot and they will not fall off

2) race tires especially slicks are very light and have little centrifical force. Manufacturing is so good these days that I don't even balance them and I'm good to 150mph

3) I will bubble balance a street tire

4) I thought about buying a spin balancer but read the directions first. Then I read the directions on several machines first. Do you guys ever watch your tire installer when he balances your wheels? He puts it on the machine and presses a button and bingo ne knows where to put the weight right??? And you get great balance on your tires right???? Well he is supposed to enter the diameter and the width of your wheel first before he presses the button. Did you know that? If he is not entering this data the machine defaults to "static balance" not dynamic spin balance in the X and Y plane. Guess what you are getting 99% of the time no better balance than my $60 bubble balancer.

5) Don't ship race tires in the winter because they crack at the sidewalls due to the soft rubber compound.

6) water/soap in your tire during mounting makes for water in the tire and that changes the amount of expansion in the tire. Use a good water filter on your compressor to seat your beds and mount with cheap hairspray which is slippery as heck to mount and dry like glue to seal a bead and prevent the tire from slipping on the wheel, it also does not add water and will not add to the expansion upon heating up your tires. An alternative is to use a dry mount soap.

7) I am a fan of metal valve stems. They seem to take more abuse. I have had about 6 rubber stems fail over my life but no metal ones have ever failed.

Well hope that helps!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:39 PM
OzCop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine...Coates Rim Clamp...sold it a few weeks ago since I had only used it 3 times in three years...wishing I had it back.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:01 AM
jabrun
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Coats rim clamp and balancer here, I've had them for over ten years and very satisfied but don't think mine will do 19 inch or bigger.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97C5inSD
well if you can get a used combo setup for 2000-2500 and do it yourself you'll need to change at least 20-25 sets of tires how many years wil it take you to go through that many? granted you may use it more then you think. and you can always charge your buddies half that to do there wheels and tires for them to help offset the cost.
Here's how I looked at that. I knew I wouldn't keep the machines forever, nor would I abuse them. Get the best deal you can, save money/time, and then sell them at a reasonable price.

I mounted and balanced my race rubber (315/35/17 on CCW 17 X 12) for almost 4 years with used machines. They came from a local auto repair shop and were not subjected to the abuses of a tire only shop, and cost me $1900.00. After 4 years and 15 sets of tires, I sold them $1700.00 to another track guy. $200 to mount/balance, flip/balance that many tires was a huge savings.

Tire changer was a rim clamp Corghi (A 9212 TI) and operated via 100% compressed air, no electricity required.
Tire/Wheel spin balancer was a Coats (1001) operated via 220V single phase.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
2) race tires especially slicks are very light and have little centrifical force. Manufacturing is so good these days that I don't even balance them and I'm good to 150mph
Puff, pufff, passsss.. in one statement you say that you only bought it for racing... then the next statement you say that you don't even balance racing tires.

I guess that's why every race that is mounted at various road course racing weekends (NASA or SCCA) is ALWAYS balanced?

Get notified of new replies

To anyone have their own tire changing machine/wheel balancer?

Old 12-14-2008, 02:04 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCACornerWorker
Puff, pufff, passsss.. in one statement you say that you only bought it for racing... then the next statement you say that you don't even balance racing tires.

I guess that's why every race that is mounted at various road course racing weekends (NASA or SCCA) is ALWAYS balanced?
That's fine people are welcome to use all tools at their disposal and follow conventional wisdom.

My statements are ment to be helpful and are from my experience as a racer who fixes his own car and who welds cages etc... It is not ment to be the Bible. If you got all the tools or facility use them. If you are doing things at home and could use the extra footprint in your garage of a real spin balancer you can do without one. For $60 bucks it is worth the risk if you want to balance. You guys try it for yourselves and see who is right. 60 bucks vs. $1000+. The offline track rubber you pick-up will throw a perfectly balanced tire off more than running any tire as mounted with no balance.

My quote is if you bother to read closely was: "I have a hunter tc325 all air powered unit. ...snip... I bought mine for racing only. ...snip...I will bubble balance a street tire". I see no problem with my statements.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:37 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The following is provided for your information. I have not done business with this company, so I cannot speak to the quality of the products or the business. I received this in an email today.
Ed
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
American Automotive Equipment is thrilled to announce that our BIGGER Models ATC1202 tire changer and AWB1100 wheel balancer have been COMBINED TOGETHER FOR SALE AT A SAVINGS OF $700 FOR THE SET!

Until FRIDAY DECEMBER 19, 2008, you can purchase this SPECIAL combination for only $1895.

AND, If you don't need the combo, we can sell you the ATC1202 tire changer alone for $1195. Or, the AWB1100 balancer can be purchased separately for only $995.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:02 PM
cebars
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Snap-on tire changer and dynamic balancer...as bought for shop where I buy my tires to ensure that customers alloy rims are not damaged....

Mounting machine..... $8,000
Dynamic computerized balancer $3,500

If no compressor that could add another $2,500 or so.

Big difference in prices from previous threads.

Do I believe what this guy told me about the cost of his equipment.

Quick Reply: anyone have their own tire changing machine/wheel balancer?