Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:38 AM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LS oil

I am working on a C5 that was set up for track usage. The car has the vent lines from the valve covers routed to a can to catch oil. From what I understand this is normal for an LS motor. The owner can go out for a 30 minute session and we dump 1/2 quart of oil from the can. Is there a better resolution for this? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:22 PM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a restrictor to draw vacuum, but no volume.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:07 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

you can get Smith Brothers pushrods with restrictors in them, to reduce all of that high-rpm oil being pumped to the top of the motor. I've never had a car pump that much oil out of the valve covers, but it does seem to be pretty common.

If you are losing oil out of the crankase ventilation system, you likely have a leak bad seal on the bottom of the valley cover, under the intake. If the silicon seal is bad, oil can get into the separator.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:07 AM
GS023
Drifting

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
you can get Smith Brothers pushrods with restrictors in them, to reduce all of that high-rpm oil being pumped to the top of the motor. I've never had a car pump that much oil out of the valve covers, but it does seem to be pretty common.

If you are losing oil out of the crankase ventilation system, you likely have a leak bad seal on the bottom of the valley cover, under the intake. If the silicon seal is bad, oil can get into the separator.
Thanks for your help.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:51 PM
GS023
Drifting

Took the car out to MSR yesterday. Took out about 1/2 quart per session. I like the pushrod idea and hope to talk the owner in to that. One other issue is after a few laps we started to loose oil pressure in hard turns. Never went to 0 but always lifted when light came on. Light comes on at >20 psi. David, (or anyone) is this feasible? We are pumping so much oil in to the valve cover area that were filling it therefore pushing it in to our recovery can and at the same time emptying the pan. We added oil every session usually 1/2 to 1 quart over full. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:59 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GS023
Is there a better resolution for this? Any help would be appreciated.
The catch can is definitely preferable to the oil going back into the intake, messing up your air filter as it drains back down the intake after you shut the car down, and fouling your plugs. I seem to have this issue the most in long, high G, high rpm left hand turns. Seems the oil pools up in the passenger side under the valve cover and then gets sucked into the intake via the vent tube that goes back to the intake.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To LS oil

Quick Reply: LS oil