Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In car video system/data recording????

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:45 PM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Default In car video system/data recording????

I have been looking into getting an in car video system/data recording system for some time now and was wondering what other people are using out there? I have been looking into the Traqmate Video and data system, but also know there are seveal others that are pretty good.

I would rather not spend a ton of money but know these are not cheap. Anyone have any suggestions??!!

Or is someone selling a used unit>

Let me know.
Thanks,
BJM
Old 12-22-2008, 12:05 AM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

T-Mate is great for budget non-racing use. More info than you'll likely use if you're just doing DEs and track days.

Hope this helps & Happy holidays!
C
Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by bjm
I have been looking into getting an in car video system/data recording system for some time now and was wondering what other people are using out there? I have been looking into the Traqmate Video and data system, but also know there are seveal others that are pretty good.

I would rather not spend a ton of money but know these are not cheap. Anyone have any suggestions??!!

Or is someone selling a used unit>

Let me know.
Thanks,
BJM
I've got the Traqmate data logger and a ChaseCam video recorder.

Traqmate does not make the ChaseCam, but they do sell it as part of a complete package. However, you can use any video camera to take the video and then integrate it with the data using the Traqmate software.

You can get a basic Traqmate system that only has the SU "sensor unit", but I think you'd like the complete system that includes the SU and the DU ("display unit"). That costs about $1000 but can sometimes be found used for $850 or so.

You don't need to "integrate" your video with your data - you can just view them separately and sort of compare your video to your data on a split screen or some such arrangemet, but if you want to integrate your video onto the Traqview software that's included with the Traqmate data acquisition units, their TraqStudio software is an additional $200.

An outfit called TrackVision (not associated with Traqmate) has a video integration software that will work with almost all other data logging systems.

I used to use a cheapo Aiptek camera for video and it worked great. They have an even better one out now that takes video in HD and you can get one for about $130. The ChaseCam is considerably more expensive and not necessary if you have another video cam for recording.

There are a lot of other units out there and here's a thread that discusses some:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...which-one.html

Here's a thread talking about recording video:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-on-track.html

Good luck finding what you need, but a good data logger and video will definitely help you analyze how you're doing at the track.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 12-22-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:50 AM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just a thought that I didn't put in earlier...

There's also the DataCam series (i.e. DataCam 2) of data acq but they are more expensive. You can take their video out feed and run it into a cheap video combiner and overlay the basic text on top of video. You can also do this with others. That way you get real-time video with basic data info right there on the screen.

The bene you get from something like Traqmate though is GPS info and overhead mapping, etc.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:35 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Like Chuck says, with the Traqmate you can fully integrate your data and video. Here's a screen shot of the TraqView analytical software with a video window:

You can see the video right there with all the data stuff that the unit logs (and I don't have 10% of the stuff on the screen that TraqView can display for you!!).

You can play the whole session and zero in on how you were taking a certain corner and what gave line what fastest, and with the video you can see why you might have been slower if you were tangled up in some traffic, etc.

You can also have the TraqView/TraqStudio software write a video file that you can upload to youtube, vimeo, etc. In the link below I've selected 2 laps of that same session in the screen shot so it would be a manageable file size of a little less than 5 minutes:

http://vimeo.com/2527482

You can see that when you write a video file that you can display that "dashboard" on it (and you can reposition it at the top or bottom), but you don't get all the fancy analysis tools you have when you open the file in TraqView.

As Chuck said, there is other software available that will put some text info on your video, and there is the TrackVision software available that will do a "dashboard" similar to the one in the links above, but it will do it with data from many other data logger units.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 12-22-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:44 AM
bse53
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another system, the MaxQ Data.

http://www.maxqdata.com/VeQtr.htm
Old 12-22-2008, 12:03 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bse53
Here's another system, the MaxQ Data.

http://www.maxqdata.com/VeQtr.htm
Yes, that's a very nice system!!

I don't know whether you can input any sensor data into it.

With the Traqmate and many other data loggers, you can log RPM, oil pressure, brakes ON/OFF or even actual brake pressure, coolant temps, steering angle, etc., etc. Many of the sensors built into the car can be tapped into (I log RPM and Throttle Position from the tach and accelerator pedal position sensor). You must tap into the wiring system or install your own aftermarket sensors.

There's one manufacturer that makes a unit you simply hook up to the OBD port under the dash and get all kinds of info, but I'm not sure if it works very well for track type data or is more for tuning or engine/system analysis.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To In car video system/data recording????

Quick Reply: In car video system/data recording????